Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dashcam in Prius Hybrid

Catlover

I had a Dashcam in what is now the wifes Auris Hybrid. From top of windscreen driver side I hid the wire behind the trim. The trim was soft and I could push the wire in, down the door behind the rubber, under the dash, along tunnel to cig lighter socket where I had a 2x USB adaptor.    Now I have a Prius, I would like to do the same, but the fabric along top of windscreen is hard and I not sure I can hide the cam cable the same as I did in the Auris.

Has anyone fitted a Dashcam in a Prius?? If so, how did you do it??  Be nice to hard wire it in but hav'nt a clue where any wires are to connect into. Any ideas, hard wire or wire all the way back to the cig lighter connector under gear change tunnel??

I have put a dash cam into my Prius and it was really simple.

There is a gap at the front of the headlining between the top of the windscreen and I hid my wire in there very easily.  I then tucked it carefully along the top of the A pillar, then down behind the door rubber.  Mine is temporarily using the accessory point in the centre console and the wire goes underneath the glovebox then tucks underneath the centre console along to the power point.

I have bought a fuse double to make it a permanent fixture which I will get around to in the next couple of months.  I am going to use the doubler directly into the fuse box which is under the glovebox.

• Like 1

I have a Dashcam in my Gen 3, and my partner has one in her Gen 2 Prius.

Yes, the headlining is made of a hardish material, but the cable can still be inserted. If needs be, just insert something like a butter knife in at the edge and prise gently. It will give enough to feed the cable in. The rest just feed in like you did in your Auris towards the ciggy socket, or into the fusebox if you intend to hardwire like Harters is going to do.

• Like 1

I'm not too happy about fitting my own Dashcam but because of warranty concerns I really wish I could take my car to a Toyota garage to get one fitted professionally. However, Toyota doesn't do that but I really think in this day & age they ought to offer the fitting of a system compatable with the warranty for the car. Also, I constantly read about cars with button starts being stolen by scum who hack into the signal sent by the electronic key. I can remember years ago when I fitted a hidden switch on my cars, between the coil & the ignition, which until activated meant the car just wouldn't start hence it couldn't be stolen. Does anybody know whether I can get a secret cut out switch fitted to my Gen 4 Prius Excel by preferably a Toyota garage? 

1 hour ago, BhxTrev said:

... I really wish I could take my car to a Toyota garage to get one fitted professionally. However, Toyota doesn't do that ...

I must be lucky with my dealer.  They fitted a Dashcam to my Gen 3 Prius, and a pair (front and rear) to my current Gen 4.  They also put in a master switch (a tiny switch actually for disabling parking sensors) so that I can turn it off if needed, or if removing the SD card.

In both cases I bought the Dashcam manufacturer's hard wire kit.  In the first case, it included a device to cut the power if the 12V Battery voltage dropped below a certain level, in my current one this is done in the unit, with a software settable cut-off level.

The current system is more complicated than the previous one, not just because the rear camera needed a cable run from the rear window to the main Dashcam, but also because the hard wire kit had connections for a permanent and ignition only feed.  This allowed it to change state according to whether the car is on ro not.  While they matched the manufactures fitting price for the first one (£30), the second one, being more complicated was much dearer, but worth it for the peace of mind and because I'm no longer interested in tinkering.

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your reply. Could you tell me who your dealer is? Might be worth a journey to get the Dashcam front & rear fitted. Also the cut out switch I want fitted is to stop the car from being started if there's an attempt to steal it. Would the garage fit that as well?

My dealer is SLM Toyota of Norwich (until recently they were called Dingles).  

Not sure about the kill switch, but no harm in asking.

Whenever I need a minor service or relatively quick job, I drop the car off at 07.30 and pop to the Premier Inn next door for a brilliant breakfast.  Car is usually ready by the time I'm full!

Don't know if it's gone up, but last year £8.99 for all you can eat and drink, with massive choice, and good quality.

Ok, this morning I fitted the Dashcam to my Prius, as our friends said earlier it is achievable. True, the fabric is not as soft as the Auris but I managed to hide the cable. Just tweaking the cam position now. Thanks guys.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BhxTrev said:

I'm not too happy about fitting my own dashcam but because of warranty concerns I really wish I could take my car to a Toyota garage to get one fitted professionally. However, Toyota doesn't do that but I really think in this day & age they ought to offer the fitting of a system compatable with the warranty for the car. Also, I constantly read about cars with button starts being stolen by scum who hack into the signal sent by the electronic key. I can remember years ago when I fitted a hidden switch on my cars, between the coil & the ignition, which until activated meant the car just wouldn't start hence it couldn't be stolen. Does anybody know whether I can get a secret cut out switch fitted to my Gen 4 Prius Excel by preferably a Toyota garage? 

As regards hacking the electronic key - I bought one of those little shielded key holder bag thingys from Amazon. Pop the keys in immediately after locking the car, signal is blocked and so protected from hackers. Seems to work OK.

• Like 1

This is my install, very neat I think and I don't even see it from my driving position :smile:

Image_2018_04_19_15_09_57_978.jpg

2 hours ago, Duffryn said:

As regards hacking the electronic key - I bought one of those little shielded key holder bag thingys from Amazon. Pop the keys in immediately after locking the car, signal is blocked and so protected from hackers. Seems to work OK.

+1

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the info. If I'm unsuccessful back here in the Midlands then a trip to Norwich & a visit to the Premier Inn might be just the ticket.

Duffryn/Kithmo - I've already got a shielded pouch for my key which I do use when away from home & my car is out in the open. Back home I garage my car every evening. The idea of a 'secret' cut out switch is simply to stop those crooks from stealing my car after they've harvested the signal transmitted by my key since it's not always in the pouch & surely what's stopping them saving the signal to use at a later appropriate time? If a switch cannot be fitted I think I'll start using a steering wheel lock.

3 hours ago, Duffryn said:

... I bought one of those little shielded key holder bag thingys...

If you've got a spare key elsewhere in the house, don't forget to protect that too.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PeteB said:

If you've got a spare key elsewhere in the house, don't forget to protect that too.

+1

Trevor, correct me if I'm wrong but I think that the key has a rolling code, so I don't think they can save it and use it later. But if you always put your key in the pouch when you get home then there's no way they can obtain the signal. I have another pouch where my spare key permanently resides.

It isn't just protecting the key that one needs to do. There are devices that plug into the OBD socket which simulate the electronic key and enables the car to be driven away. 

This was the case with a 66 plate Fiesta ST that was stolen from our road at 11am one Saturday morning this January. Parked a good distance away from the owner's house where the keys were. Driver's window smashed, car accessed, and driven away in around 3 minutes. Never recovered.

We have a Ford technician living in our road, and he confirmed that this, as well as signal relaying, is a widespread issue across manufacturers.

WM Police have been recommending additionally using either a Thatcham or Sold Secure Approved steering wheel lock for months.

you can also get a lock for the OBD port. Y

or could fit a hidden cut-out if you don't mind switching off/on every time that you get in or out.

Or you could fit an Autowatch Ghost or similar.

9 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

It isn't just protecting the key that one needs to do. There are devices that plug into the OBD socket which simulate the electronic key and enables the car to be driven away. 

I can believe it with a Ford, but not a Toyota. Sounds like an ad for steering locks to me :huh:

To access the OBD socket the ignition has to be on and if they have the ignition on then they would just drive off, so why would they need to access the OBD ?

Also It's difficult to smash the windows on the Prius being as they're double glazed.

Pete, my wife has our spare key, which she keeps permamnantly in a protected pouch. Kithmo, regarding the rolling code for the key, I'm not sure if like my  garage roller blind door, the key has a rolling code hence my naevity regarding whether the key signal could be saved for future criminal use!

36 minutes ago, kithmo said:

Sounds like an ad for steering locks to me :huh:

Not just Fords - https://www.west-midlands.police.uk/news/5088/committed-wmp-cop-finds-haul-stolen-cars-drive-home

See attached letter we had from WM Police

WMPolice car theft.jpg

WMP on commision from Krooklock ? :rolleyes:

Should be two 's's in commission ....

• Sad 1

homer-simpson-doh.png         :ermm: my bad, detention for me,:blowup: :blush: :oops: 

Life's to short to be faffing with additional steering locks etc imo, which then pose a significant danger in the event of a crash, unless in the boot.

Far better to have a decent insurance policy in place. If it get nicked then claim and job done.

• Like 2

Given advice in the media, by police, etc regarding keyless entry and car security in general, a good insurance policy may not be sufficient if owners are deemed not to have taken adequate steps to ensure their vehicles are secure.

Spot on Frosty hence my concern about how easy it is to steal push button starting cars. Jonathan I strongly disagree with your attitude since it's hardly any wonder my insurance goes up & up every year even though I haven't made a claim for many many years! I do think drivers should have due regard to not having their vehicle stolen in the first place, which by the way is the reason I'm in favour of a secret cut off switch &/or a quality steering lock.