Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oxygen sensors 2001 Avensis 2.0l cdx Engine:1AZ-FSE

buffalomatt

I have read with interest the existing threads on this subject.

I am getting fault codes PO135, PO141, PO155 and PO161, telling me that all 4 lambda heater circuits are faulty. (I also get the VSC light on but I am assuming that this is not connected).

I have just bought the car so I don't know its history, but I think it's odd that all 4 sensors should be faulty at the same time. Does this indicate that the problem is in the ECU? I am not mechanical and have no tools but I am tempted to have a go with this. Replacing the sensors sounds prohibitively expensive but if it comes to that I should let the professionals do it and weep into my pillow. 

Is there anything I should check before handing the job over?

Thanks

The fault codes suggest the heater circuits in all four Oxy' sensors have failed and whilst it is unusual for all four to fault simultaneously it is highly likely they have failed one by one over a period of time and have been ignored as the car has probably passed MOT without issue however with the new MOT coming into force in May the EML light being will be an issue ( now a "Major" failure ) hence the car being up for sale.

Before replacing all four sensors you may want to spend a couple of £ and register here for a few hours and access/download the relevant diagnostics 

You Can check the connections with the help of a screw driver, as these connections have Di electric grease which can dry up and turn white. It may be a simple case of contact spray. 

Thanks, I'll try that and let you know.

I am saying this because you do have a 2001 car, and it may cost you in terms of time and effort but not in money. Than after you clean the connections you do not need to even add dielectric grease if you do not have it, or maybe you can use lithium grease. But remember to disconnect the Battery for halve an hour to clear the codes and reset the car ecu.

Read the follow posts that have lots of relevant information :-

Thanks, I have read these. I can't help wondering if I should just replace one sensor with a universal one. Presumably I would have to cut the cable to length and fit the plug. But if that fixed one for a small outlay (less than £30 each), I could do the others as well. From what I read the hardest part is getting the old sensors out in the first place.