Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clunky gearbox

Damitjanet

Hi wonder if someone has any ideas, I brought a 2014 Yaris last week , it’s only done 24k miles and the gear box is very clunky , I’ve booked it to go back in , I love my new car , it’s the newest most expensive car I have ever had but worried they might say it’s “normal” for the car , I’m sure it’s not as my old 2008 1400 Ford Fusion changed gears nicer . Thanks for looking janet 

ps it's a 1.33 petrol

Hello Janet - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Which engine do you have - 1.0 litre petrol, 1.33 litre petrol or 1.4D4D diesel?

Moved to the Yaris club.

Hi Janet, I too recently purchased from Toyota a 1.33 Toyota Yaris 2012 with under 50000 miles on the clock. I actually have the same kind of issue with my manual gearbox being cluncky and posted a similar question a week ago. It was suggested to me that my transmission oils have probably not been changed. My car had a full service before my purchase, but transmission oils are something that are not dealt with I think. I was going to take it back to get it checked out, only problem it is not covered on my warranty.  I honestly think the clucky gearbox is just how the car is, since the car doesn't have problem changing gear or staying in gears. But never the less I going to take it to my local mechanic to check and change the fluids. Hope this helps somewhat and let us know how you go.

3 hours ago, Mike169 said:

This is unfortunately in reference to the previous generation yaris. 

8 minutes ago, YarisBoy18 said:

This is unfortunately in reference to the previous generation yaris. 

Although the same engine and transmission are used in the later second generation and the third generation.

5 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Although the same engine and transmission are used in the later second generation and the third generation.

Sorry was not sure about that, though this article is referring to the second gen Yaris.

The 1329 1NR-FE engine with six speed transmission was introduced in the Yaris and Auris from late 2008/early 2009. It was carried forward to the second generation Auris and third generation Yaris. Replaced in the Yaris in 2017, by a re-worked 1.5 litre version of the same engine.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The 1329 1NR-FE engine with six speed transmission was introduced in the Yaris and Auris from late 2008/early 2009. It was carried forward to the second generation Auris and third generation Yaris. Replaced in the Yaris in 2017, by a re-worked 1.5 litre version of the same engine.

That good to know, since there are similar complaints online from individuals with previous generation yaris . Obviously that article refers to a brand new Yaris not yet run in, does that mean Frosty you think that's how the gearbox just is, cluncky. It does state the oils to be cause of the issue, will a change in transmission oils help then. I am in a similar situation to Janet so any insight is useful. 

Thank you

Hi , will let you know how I go , I might mention the oil thingy when I drop it off in the morning cheers janet 

My experience with dealer, they put in generic 85w-90 which was a wrong viscosity and wrong API for Yaris and this causes shifting problem. I had to buy the oil with the correct type and ask my indi mechanic to drain and put in the correct type. So don't let the dealer ruin your gearbox. 

A significant difference between 75w and 85w. 

Thanks for the insight Perfection. Can you recall the exact brand/product of oil you used. Furthermore, did you change to oil because you were experiencing a clucky gearbox or where you trying to rectify the issue the dealer created. Finally how's the gearbox and gear change now, smooth like should be ? 

Thanks

The Yaris (d4d 2010, 6 speed) didn't have any clunky shift problem, but it was due for gearbox oil change at around 50k miles. I specifically asked to put the correct oil, but the dealer lied and put in the generic oil which meant to be used for trucks (4x4 gearbox). The problem was very clunky, difficult to engage gears. As soon as I had the problem, I checked the service invoice and clearly stated 85w-90. I enquired about this and told them that the manufacturer recommends 75w-90. The dealer then changed the story saying it was a typo in the invoice.

The the dealer blamed the problem was present before the oil change. At this point I wasn't going to argue with them as I know the problem wasn't there before the oil change. 

So i ordered the recommended oil from the parts department to get it drained and replaced with: Toyota Manual Gearbox Transmission Oil LV 75W MT 1 Litre (part number 0888581001).

You need to buy 3 litre (i.e 3 bottles) and if I remember correctly, the mechanics managed to drain 2.8 litre of oil and he only managed to fill with approx. 2.5 litre as specified in the handbook. The dealer here has also  overfilled the oil. This may have contributed to the clunky problem. But I think it is more to do with the viscosity.

The gear changes were smooth after using the correct oil.....

One more point to add, if you are going to buy another brand of oil with the same viscosity, make sure it is API-GL4 as this is suitable for soft metal (copper) synchromesh gears as recommended in the Yaris handbook Don't use API-GL5 as this will wear out your copper synchromesh gears.

My recommendation is to use the Toyota brand. I recently replaced my Verso gearbox oil (52k miles) as well with the above mentioned part number and had not caused any clunky problem.

Hi , Toyota garage are saying there is nothing wrong and it’s just characteristic of a Yaris , not sure where I go from here 😥 I mensioned the oil, they didn’t seem to want to change that , I’ve booked it back in one man said after he drove it that he would see if they could put some grease in around the gear stick so it’s going back a week on Saturday 

1 hour ago, Damitjanet said:

Hi , Toyota garage are saying there is nothing wrong and it’s just characteristic of a Yaris , not sure where I go from here 😥 I mensioned the oil, they didn’t seem to want to change that , I’ve booked it back in one man said after he drove it that he would see if they could put some grease in around the gear stick so it’s going back a week on Saturday 

Just wondering if your expectations of the Yaris gear change have been a little high and maybe it is just a Yaris thing.

My previous Nissan Almera, although by no means a premium car, had a silky smooth, weighted, gear change compared to my Aygo.

Hi Janet.

How about test driving another Yaris so of a similar year to yours so you can compare the gear changes?

Mike.

I have mentioned that but they don’t have one in at the moment, thank you 

I don't think testing another Yaris will be helpful. As I have previously mentioned, as a 2012 Yaris owner (basically same car, same engine) I have actually the same problem, but as I have also mentioned previously, I believe the the cluncky nature of the gearbox is how the Yaris is, as the car has no issues changing gear. I think changing the gearbox oil with the correct viscosity one will help to smooth it out, though not completely eliminate the problem. I would push the dealership to change the oil for you Janet, as you should be entitled as the car is 2014 (5 year Toyota warranty). If you keep pushing they will pull through. I would not worry to much though as there nothing to worry about mechanical with your car. 

I am not sure if your gearbox is the same as my previous 2010 diesel 6 speed. But mine never had the clunky problem. 

Would I believe Toyota? NO... That's why I bought a Honda replacement this time and to try another manufacturer.

I not 100% certain but I think our Gearboxes would be different. We are referring to the 1.33 petrol 6 speed mannuals. I agree dealerships are hard to trust as they are supposed to provide the best service for the cars as their brand manufacturered it, but as they all basically work on frnachise basis which completely changes how they operate. They don't represent the brand well as they are acting independently trying to minimize the guidelines and be profitable.

Yarisboy, in my case it was the dealership and Toyota customer service collaborated to lie about the incorrect oil they put in. So my trust will not place on Toyota. 

On 22/04/2018 at 3:59 PM, YarisBoy18 said:

Obviously that article refers to a brand new Yaris not yet run in, does that mean Frosty you think that's how the gearbox just is, cluncky

I hadn't expressed an opinion.

Having said that, I've had two Auris 1.33's from new (2009 and 2012). Out of the 21 new cars we've had from a variety of manufacturers (Nissan, Honda, Hyundai, Mazda and Toyota) the Auris' did have a slightly more clunky change than some others we've owned, but by no means poor. Due to the positioning of the gearlever on the flying buttress style centre console, I would imagine the linkages may well be different to the Yaris, whether second or third generation, so perhaps not directly comparable.

A s regards Toyota customer service 'collaborating' with the dealer, they would only have gone by what the dealer said to them, and probably wouldn't have gone into the issue in any depth - which is no different to any other marque.

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

I hadn't expressed an opinion.

Out of the 21 new cars we've had from a variety of manufacturers (Nissan, Honda, Hyundai, Mazda and Toyota)

Of course you had not expressed an opinion, hence I was trying to get one from you when I said 'does that mean'. Nice little boast in there as well I see. Never the less not the most helpful of insights but thanks for the reply and any.