Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RAV 4 2018 Hybrid - Add a CD Player and hidden USB plug

Goncas_pt71

Hi all

Wondering if any of you, with áudio Headunits without CD player, found a way to fit some kind of CDPlayer solution in to it. I should have mounted the 510108 headunit model on the RAV4 2018 about to receive (in one or two weeks).

There are some new cars from european manufacturers that planted a CD and SD player on the top of the glove compartment (hidden). 

"Why the heck do you still want a CD player", you may ask. Well one of my big plaesures is to come out from the music shop and stick a new CD to listen on the way home :-). Of course I can always hold myself and rip it to MP3 later... it will be cheaper for me.

By the way, is there any to get the pinout's of the above mentioned headunit, as well as the information on it's manufacturer and specs (power, channel number, type of files played (hope it could play FLAC :-)))?

Also would like to know if there is any hidden USB Plug on the car - I certainly would not like to leave pens at sight, in side the car when parked any where, and I would not like to be inserting and taking it out every time I use the car.

Thank you for any feedback.

Gonçalo

We use the nano type usb drives in our cars - unobtrusive and left in the usb socket all the time. E.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cruzer-Fit-Flash-Drive-SDCZ33-032G-B35/dp/B00812F7O8/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1524388413&sr=8-12&keywords=Nano+usb+drive

Hi FrostyBalls

Thank you for your attention and for the advise here. 

I'll wait for next Non VAT day at local electronics shop to get a few :-). My wife uses a similar one on her aftermarket installed Pioneer radio on her Yaris 2001. But she takes the front panel out everyday.

Nevertheless, although small and unobtrusive, it will be right at view on the low center of the dash board. I'm a bit afraid of having a ticket to a broken window. Here, even a stupid plastic raincoat can be a reason for breacking into the car.

I'll try to understand if there is a way, even extending the Usb cables, to take out the usb Plug from the site where it is to a more hidden place like the arm rest box (like the Avensis had for the line in and power Plug). In the mean time I'll do as my wife's: take the pen out when out of the huse or job's internal parking.

Best regards.

Gonçalo

You are the reverse of what I have done - going from CD to MP3 via USB. I added a USB/SD/Bluetooth adapter via the CD changer port. I have lots of CD's with MP3 and WMA files, so can play those to. Before MP3, I had about 100 copies of my CD's in my old car, which had a Sony CD/cassette, and 10 disc changer in the boot.Now I have more music on memory sticks. 

Well Konrad C, I don't dislike the USB capability but I will miss the thrill of opening a brand new CD and listen it on the way home :-).

Also MP3 is, for me, really not a Hi-Fi format (this is a theme of millions of threads and fóruns :-) ). FLAC, WAV, and others with less to none compression would be better. And having a soft booming bass doesn't help at all if using MP3. That's why I started another thread about the best loudspeakers for this car, beside the original ones. I still have LP's at home and I'm starting a long process of digitizing it. Doing it to FLAC. Also I converted some of it to MP3 to be able to play it on the AVENSIS on the CD player (it plays MP3 on CD) but the sound system is really good.

I have to find out what other type of files does this Player... plays and do some work with the sound settings, when I receive the car.

After 2 diesel Ravs, the Hybrid is very quiet and generally a pleasure to drive except when accelerating hard and the CVT transmission plays catch up. Fuel consumption is only about 8mpg better than the diesel and it is much heavier in the corners. Overall a better than the Diesel.

4 hours ago, Jagst said:

After 2 diesel Ravs, the Hybrid is very quiet and generally a pleasure to drive except when accelerating hard and the CVT transmission plays catch up. Fuel consumption is only about 8mpg better than the diesel and it is much heavier in the corners. Overall a better than the Diesel.

Hi Jagst

Many thanks for your feedback on the dribing this hybrid subject. Do you apply some Hybrid tricks or just drive it as usual?

And about the audio, the real subject of this thread? What are your findings about the audio quality (is your a JBL or normal system)?

Best regards

Apologies I replied to the wrong post. It was the post about how a Rav drives. Sound system standard, but miss CD player.

On ‎24‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 7:30 PM, Jagst said:

Apologies I replied to the wrong post. It was the post about how a Rav drives. Sound system standard, but miss CD player.

I'll miss too :-( but not so much. 

Just started to rip all my decente CD's into several pens :-)

Then I'll need to twick the system at my taste, as much as possible. If not happy then I'll need to start thinking on change loudspeakers.