Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Hybrid EV button

Steve Whits

14 minutes ago, Mick F said:

You can only reverse in EV.  The engine has no reverse gear, in fact there is no reverse gearing at all.

You reverse by dint of the phases of the electric motor being reversed, so the motor rotates backwards.

Mick.

Well I never knew that..

If I reverse normally I hear the engine,

but when reversing with EV button pressed,  the engine cuts out.

So I guess it is just quieter when reversing with EV , which is nice

When you reverse, the engine cannot power the car, it can only keep you warm and/or charge the Battery.  I notice ours runs sometimes in reverse but not always.

Pressing the EV button would stop the heating and also stop the charging, hence the quietness in reverse.

We have a long (75yds) drive that slopes steeply up to the house.  Due to the shape of the drive entrance, if we approach from one side we drive up forwards, and the other side, we have to reverse up.  There's nowhere at the bottom of the drive to turn, so we have no choice to go forwards or backwards up the drive depending from which direction we come along the lane to home.

With normal cars, we can reverse up at a good speed, but in the Yaris Hybrid, we can only reverse in EV and it's slower and far less powerful than under engine power.  I wonder too, that the throttle response is attenuated in reverse so it feels very underpowered.  Remember, the drive is steep ......... 25% slope and steeper in places maybe up to 33%.

Mick.

46 minutes ago, Mick F said:

We have a long (75yds) drive that slopes steeply up to the house.  

This should be a good and safe place to re-check the EV mode button's action. With a full-ish Battery and warm engine, select EV mode and notice that you can use power beyond the ECO mid-point without the engine starting. Try without EV mode and notice that engine kicks in as you apply power beyond the ECO mid-point. Simples.

• Like 1

Excellent idea.

I've often tried VERY gently to come forwards up the drive without the engine kicking in, but near the top of the steepest bit, it always starts up.  We'll be out in the car this afternoon, and we'll in the direction for coming home up the drive forwards.  We have to stop at the bottom to open the gate of course, so it should be a good test.

Thanks.

Mick.

Well ............................................ that was interesting.

I dropped Mrs Mick F off in Tavistock and rather than park up, I went round the block a few times.  She only had to go into one shop and took her time about it, so I didn't have very long - but long enough to test out the EV button round and round and round and round on level roads, and the Battery went from seven bars down to two bars.

When selecting EV Mode, I could drive in EV absolutely fine.  Deselecting it made not much difference to the speed and the power.  It could be possible that in EV Mode rather than EV Normal, the car could be driven a little/tiny bit more spirited, but there wasn't much in it one way or another.  EV Normal could get up the power meter just as far as EV Mode, but in EV Mode I could get there more quickly.  Both of the modes would kick into engine drive at the same point but EV Mode was a little bit less touchy about how fast it got there.

Now ............ coming home as we live in the bottom of a valley, the Battery was fully charged as we arrived at the gate (forwards).  After the gate was closed behind us, I selected EV Mode and attempted to drive in EV up the steep incline.

I did it! :biggrin:

Therefore, as suggested, EV Mode has more power available in electric drive then in EV Normal.

Proof.  Thank you Mike J. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Mick.

PS:

It seems to me, that EV Mode should be the norm.

Why have the selection available at all?  If you can select it, it means that the system will allow it.  If you can't, it means the system isn't ready.  Why not have it automated?

What's not to like about it being automated?

Mick.

• Like 2

As I am not a hybrid owner any more, I cannot test this myself, however I still believe that EV button mode allows the traction Battery to discharge further than it would when nothing is touched, meaning that when the petrol engine does kick in, it has to run longer to recharge the Battery.

What the effect on overall fuel economy is by using EV mode via the button as opposed to letting the car do it's own thing is difficult to assess in normal road use.

The only firm conclusion I had over all my hybrid years was that the outside air temperature and how much cabin heat you want cause the biggest variation in economy.

Summer was a bit different, running the aircon made no discernible difference.

• Like 1

After a drive this afternoon, there is a speed issue with EV Mode.

Level-ish lane near Tavistock along Crowndale  I selected EV Mode via the button and all was fine until I speeded up.  Got to near 25mph and got the double-beep, but the EV light was still on and I was still driving without the engine running.  Coming back along the same road, I did the same experiment, and found the same result.

EV on the flat, the car will do up to 40mph if you take care, but in EV Mode with the button pressed you won't get anywhere near that.  When it is engaged, there is more grunt, but NOT speed.

Mick.

• 2 weeks later...

EV MODE (the button) has a 20 MPH speed limit.

EV mode (the car symbol when engine off) has a limit of 47 MPH, but you can only drive to about 40 MPH without causing the ICE to start.

Strangely, at 30 MPH WHILE MOVING, you can enter EV MODE button and it permits EV mode driving at higher speeds.

Drop below 10 or 15 MPH and the EV MODE limit returns to 20 MPH, but if you keep the speed up, it will drive in EV MODE to IIRC 35 MPH.

I tend to let the car do what it wants, only using EV MODE to move around the driveway when cold.

• Like 1

Thanks!

Excellent bit of info!

Mick.

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 1:07 AM, YarisHybrid2016 said:

Not in my experience. I think that the EV mode speed limit varies with temperature - you may only get around 10 mph when very cold and about 30 mph when nicely warm.

I experimented yesterday, and found that even with a warm car and a full-ish Battery,  I couldn't get above 20mph without the EV Mode double-beeping at me and turning itself off.

On the other hand, after the double-beep, I can get up to 40mph still in EV drive.  I don't understand why EV Mode is disabled when EV will keep going.

Mick.

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 1:07 AM, YarisHybrid2016 said:

EV mode (the car symbol when engine off) has a limit of 47 MPH, but you can only drive to about 40 MPH without causing the ICE to start.

Strangely, at 30 MPH WHILE MOVING, you can enter EV MODE button and it permits EV mode driving at higher speeds.

Drop below 10 or 15 MPH and the EV MODE limit returns to 20 MPH, but if you keep the speed up, it will drive in EV MODE to IIRC 35 MPH.

I tend to let the car do what it wants, only using EV MODE to move around the driveway when cold.

This is very strange. My car now acts as above. Perhaps the Battery and inverter temperature are too high for 21 + mph. I am sure that I have seen around 27 mph in EV Mode - will have to wait until winter to re-check.

On 5/15/2018 at 10:49 AM, Mike J. said:

This is very strange. My car now acts as above. Perhaps the battery and inverter temperature are too high for 21 + mph. I am sure that I have seen around 27 mph in EV Mode - will have to wait until winter to re-check.

From my own experience, it seems to be a lottery for how it behaves. I can drive away from home, with the same SOC and same ambient temperature. Sometimes the engine still kicks in almost straight away without using the accelerator.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 14 May 2018 at 9:01 AM, Mick F said:

I experimented yesterday, and found that even with a warm car and a full-ish battery,  I couldn't get above 20mph without the EV Mode double-beeping at me and turning itself off.

Well, I experimented again on Tuesday afternoon, and found I could get up to nearly 40mph in EV Mode. :biggrin:

There seems to be rhyme or reason for the way the car behaves in this regard.  Sometimes it works brilliantly, sometimes works ok, and sometimes not at all.

Agree with Anthony .......................... it's a lottery.

Mick.

• Like 1

The EV light (not EV mode) has some interesting behavior when the car is considering itself "cold".

During the warm-up phase, it may or may not enter EV mode. Two successive days, I managed to drive a good distance in EV mode with good performance (high SoC) after causing the ICE to start. The following day, it insisted on running the ICE, with very similar SoC, and similar weather/ambient temperature.

I just can't relate its behavior to anything specific during warm-up. Once the warm-up period is over (approx. 5 minutes) it behaves very predictably.

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 6:11 AM, Mick F said:

Well, I experimented again on Tuesday afternoon, and found I could get up to nearly 40mph in EV Mode.

On a drive today, I had EV Mode trip out at 20 mph and 5 miles later, I put it back into EV Mode and got to 30 mph before it tripped out again.

• 2 months later...

At the moment I am driving in Germany, with the warmer temperatures ev and ev mode is lasting longer than back home. Having the aircon on has a big impact though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I know its a long time since the conversation was running, but wanted to add a few points which I have found out through researching the net, speaking with Toyota and ultimately what I have experienced with my 2019 model:

• Toyota have fitted a cut off to the EV mode before 31mph, this is managed by the various EMS chips in your engine and maybe able to be tweaked, but likely would invalidate any warranty etc. My vehicle cuts off around 27mph saying excessive speed and EV mode disengaged. 
  • The official range of the YARIS in full EV mode is 1.3miles.  This is not a Plug in Hybrid EV (PHEV) which have larger batteries and able to run longer distances and at higher speeds. Toyota's Hybrid range is designed to supplement the Petrol consumption with EV during journeys and try to get you near their claimed 585 miles on a single 36l tank of petrol. I changed my driving display on the console and noticed that the charge to Battery and power to wheels happens really frequently and does extend the fuel consumption.  That said I don't get close to the claimed 69mpg rate even in Eco mode.
  • The Battery life of the EV component is around 100,000 miles or 8 years (whichever comes first) and costs above £2,000 to replace, so something to factor into your running costs, some manufacturers are now leasing EV batteries so you return the old one and get a new one for a lease charge (cheaper than buying them though)
  • I think the biggest misconception on these type of Hybrids is that people think they are making a significant step to help reduce the effect on the climate.  The Hybrid models are not those ones that could potentially significantly reduce emissions and climate control factors, however those fully EV models don't tick the boxes yet either, as those full EV vehicles have been shown to need to run for over 300,000 miles (some over 400,000 with the high range large batteries) to be carbon neutral due to Electricity currently being provided from Fossil Fuels being burnt, and the large carbon footprint from these large batteries.   
  • All that being said, its a great car, I would recommend one and I am likely to replace it with a newer model when the time comes.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pembers72 said:

I know its a long time since the conversation was running, but wanted to add a few points which I have found out through researching the net, speaking with Toyota and ultimately what I have experienced with my 2019 model:

• Toyota have fitted a cut off to the EV mode before 31mph, this is managed by the various EMS chips in your engine and maybe able to be tweaked, but likely would invalidate any warranty etc. My vehicle cuts off around 27mph saying excessive speed and EV mode disengaged. 
  • The official range of the YARIS in full EV mode is 1.3miles.  This is not a Plug in Hybrid EV (PHEV) which have larger batteries and able to run longer distances and at higher speeds. Toyota's Hybrid range is designed to supplement the Petrol consumption with EV during journeys and try to get you near their claimed 585 miles on a single 36l tank of petrol. I changed my driving display on the console and noticed that the charge to battery and power to wheels happens really frequently and does extend the fuel consumption.  That said I don't get close to the claimed 69mpg rate even in Eco mode.
  • The battery life of the EV component is around 100,000 miles or 8 years (whichever comes first) and costs above £2,000 to replace, so something to factor into your running costs, some manufacturers are now leasing EV batteries so you return the old one and get a new one for a lease charge (cheaper than buying them though)
  • I think the biggest misconception on these type of Hybrids is that people think they are making a significant step to help reduce the effect on the climate.  The Hybrid models are not those ones that could potentially significantly reduce emissions and climate control factors, however those fully EV models don't tick the boxes yet either, as those full EV vehicles have been shown to need to run for over 300,000 miles (some over 400,000 with the high range large batteries) to be carbon neutral due to Electricity currently being provided from Fossil Fuels being burnt, and the large carbon footprint from these large batteries.   
  • All that being said, its a great car, I would recommend one and I am likely to replace it with a newer model when the time comes.

Hi David and welcome, 

this read has a bit of not true in it and perhaps it’s based on old auto journalism and their misunderstanding about hybrids and particularly Toyota which are very different and the only hybrids that really work well. 

Hybrid Battery has warranty of 100000 miles and 8 years, today this can be extended even further. Battery life and drivetrain is at least double, plenty of examples. Toyota hybrids are also the cleanest ice cars by all mean, not only as low fuel consumption, low emissions, but also as low maintenance cost, parts replacement, heat radiation, brake dust etc. 

Serf charging hybrids can come close to bev as running cost but that will depend where you charge your ev and the price of petrol which currently is very high and unstable. 

Bev doesn’t need to travel much to offset the cost over ice counterparts, those number you given are really out of reality, no offence , I had read exactly that in different articles previously, however it’s not true. Bev are great and the way forward, the batteries and current tech are not  and a Battery gate will follow in near future. Bev can only be viable and environmentally friendly only if they are efficient, small, lightweight with small light  batteries and long ranges unaffected by much from other factors like ac , heating, motorways., currently all bev suffer the same and only very few are really efficient. 
Conclusion: there are tons of information regarding hybrids, bev, fcev, phev wrote by people who has no idea about cars and only write nonsense that sells and earn them a living. Real information can be obtained from car enthusiast, car owners who had learned and tested their cars for years. 
You had made the right choice having a Toyota hybrid, enjoy it 👌
For the the EV button you can use for adding pressure to your tires using an air compressor, to reposition the car on parking spot or move around a car park , driveway. You can also use when you have more battery charge to force the  car to stay in ev mode. When you car is cold and you want to start and remain in ev mode without ice kick in you will need to start the car press ev button and immediately press heating fan off button, otherwise the ice will kick in.

Regards 

• Like 1

Yeah the EV button is a bit of a gimmick - I think they just kept it on as it was a fun little party trick for the original Prius to show off, but in my Mk4 it's absolutely useless as the car will say something along the lines of Not enough charge or just Unavailable 99% of the time I've tried it.

The 'problem' is the car is extremely good at keeping the Battery at around 50% charge which means unless you go to heroic measures the SoC is always too low for the EV button to work.

Really it doesn't matter as I can just make the car go into 'EV mode' by lifting off the accelerator for a second, and that I can do even at 70mph, which the EV button can't do. So yeah, on this car at least, EV button is mostly useless! It would have been much more use to me if it was a Charge button, to allow me to force it to charge up the traction Battery ahead of time, so if I knew I was coming up to a long traffic jam I could charge it up to 90% and then sit in traffic with the AC on for longer without the engine starting up.

As for environmental concerns, no new car will reduce the effect on the climate; In fact I'd say every new car produced is a net negative towards the environment, as each one needs significant power, resources e.g. materials, chemicals, and creates waste etc. to be made. Anyone claiming to buy a brand new car to save the environment is just lying to themselves or virtue signalling. Worse are people that only hold on to a car for a short period before buying another one - This is so wasteful and that person's environmental footprint will just be excessive! The only reason it's not worse is those cars can go to new owners, but given each new car probably needs 5-10 years just to make up for the pollution created in making it in the first place, it's really a nonsensical reason.

Esp. in this country, and europe, I don't think you can seriously say you're for the environment and own a car that only transports you, when we have such good public transport and are making increasingly big allowances for personal transport (i.e. bikes and scooters and such). I don't even pretend to have bought my Mk4 for environmental reasons - The biggest reason I bought it was for political reasons (KHAAAAN!), and I wanted something reliable with low running costs (Unlike my Mk2 which was somehow the most unreliable Toyota ever made! :laugh: ). This car doesn't even really make economical sense, as I doubt I'm going to use enough fuel in the car's lifetime to make up the difference between this and my old cars, and it's more expensive to insure and over 5x more expensive to tax than my previous cars too.

It is, however, awesome to drive and a lot of fun and has brought back the joy of driving for me, and you can't put a price on metal health! :naughty: :laugh: 

• Like 2