Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Coolant loss

PeterJH

I have a 98 Avensis 1.8 petrol...done nearly 220K miles. Having lots of problems with losing coolant. Been into the garage a few times, they checked it and advised leaking water pump, which they replaced. Coolant bottle almost empty again after driving home 15 miles. Garage had it back, filled it up again, checked thoroughly for leaks, and it was OK for a week or so. But I checked yesterday and the coolant bottle was empty again. Filled up the bottle and radiator again, did about 70 miles or so and now coolant bottle is empty again. It sometimes goes OK for a few days, but then on checking find that the bottle is empty. Car runs well with no other issues I am aware of. Garage says probably failed head gasket. Any thoughts on anything else I could check or do with it?
Many thanks.

9 hours ago, PeterJH said:

I have a 98 Avensis 1.8 petrol...done nearly 220K miles. Having lots of problems with losing coolant. Been into the garage a few times, they checked it and advised leaking water pump, which they replaced. Coolant bottle almost empty again after driving home 15 miles. Garage had it back, filled it up again, checked thoroughly for leaks, and it was OK for a week or so. But I checked yesterday and the coolant bottle was empty again. Filled up the bottle and radiator again, did about 70 miles or so and now coolant bottle is empty again. It sometimes goes OK for a few days, but then on checking find that the bottle is empty. Car runs well with no other issues I am aware of. Garage says probably failed head gasket. Any thoughts on anything else I could check or do with it?
Many thanks.

I used to own an Avensis GLS 1.8 '98 hatchback and had a fluid loss that could not be found. I found leak by pure chance (drip), and was due to a crack in the top plastic section of the radiator.

Look at the link to my post :-

I got my new radiator from Eurocarparts at a cheap price using the discount code at the time. With a few hours I fixed the car.

Edited by Konrad C
grammar correction

Link to another post - 

My old 4A-FE Avensis lost all of its coolant once, turned out to be a defect seal on the plastic part on the engine block where the tube from the radiator connects. Try removing the plastic underguard if you have one, place some news papers under the engine bay and let it sit overnight.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks both for your replies. The radiator was replaced a couple of years or so ago. However it looks to me like the radiator is leaking, there is liquid underneath it. However I'm not sure if that explains the amount of coolant it is loosing.  So took it back to garage for another look. They are saying radiator is blown because head gasket is blown. So I don't know. I'm going to take it to another garage later in the week for a second opinion, but if they say the same then that's probably the end of it unfortunately.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links