Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris 2019 version - or has Toyota lost the plot ....

Mike J.

I hadn't thought the Mini as a Yaris competitor but notice that it is the same length and around 20cm wider - so not so good in narrow streets, etc.

I have also just noticed that there is a new Mini that has characteristics that I have been wanting in my next Yaris.

Come on Toyota, where is my PHEV Yaris with 4WD and 0-60 in 7 seconds (10 miles on EV would be fine) - it should be here now to compete with the new Mini PHEV:

The dark side?

Do you want to pay "from £31,875" for your Yaris?

• Like 1

Wow you want a lot for your money [emoji1]
Plug in Yaris is one thing, but you want 4WD as well.
I would rather see them, increase the Battery capacity and beef up the regen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

I forgot to add that the Yaris would be around 5-10K cheaper as all the kit is around and has been designed (4WD hybrid and PHEV) - it is a shame that Toyota have lost out to BMW on an area they had claimed as theirs.

Is it me or does it state 134 l/km?
If I read that correct that is one terrible hybrid system

• Haha 1

The 2019 Toyota Yaris hasn't been unveiled yet in European form.

What has been unveiled is the 2019 Toyota Yaris sedan - which is for the US market, is based on the Mazda 2, and is built by Mazda for Toyota.

The concept of a 4WD PHEV Yaris has been on my wish-list for a year or so and it seems sad that BMW have got there first. I doubt such a Toyota will appear in 2019, but you never know. Maybe my Yaris vision is more 2020 :wink:

Whilst the Mini Hatchback is in the same market sector as the Yaris, the Mini Countryman is an SUV and as such competes with the likes of the Nissan Juke, Seat Arona, Renault Captur, Hyundai Kona, etc, etc.

So you're not comparing like with like.

36 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Whilst the Mini Hatchback is in the same market sector as the Yaris, the Mini Countryman is an SUV and as such competes with the likes of the Nissan Juke, Seat Arona, Renault Captur, Hyundai Kona, etc, etc.

If I am correct about the length being under 4m, then it is in the same sector for me - the under 4m PHEV with 4WD sector :smile:

14 minutes ago, Mike J. said:

If I am correct about the length being under 4m, then it is in the same sector for me - the under 4m PHEV with 4WD sector :smile:

You're not, and it isn't.

It does seem to be a foot longer, but this case we can just swap Yaris, in this thread, with C-HR.

But I still think a Yaris 4WD PHEV would be an interesting addition to bring the focus back to Toyota before full EVs take over this sector.

Toyota are already developing a C-HR PHEV for the Chinese market - 

However, Europe is not Toyota's main market - the US and China would take precedence.

I thought it would be a good idea to see how much better a Toyota PHEV is over the MINI. The US government has sorted this out (note US gallons are smaller than UK). Also, the Mini PHEV and the Prius Prime (PHEV) weigh the same and have similar Battery pack sizes. It just shows how the Toyota hybrid system is the best (CVT and Atkinson). 

Toyota vs Mini mpge

• Thanks 1

Is it me or does it state 134 l/km?
If I read that correct that is one terrible hybrid system

Yes it should have been km/l. Just been out in ours with hybrid assistant and it displays km/l as defaulting think.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As long as Toyota stick with their planetary gear set, they will be the best.

Does the Mini include a conventional gear box????

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed that someone on this site has gone from a Yaris hybrid to a Hyundai hybrid - an interesting choice. The Ionic has 3 electric flavours, 2 are hybrids with an Atkinson style engine - this does seem to show that Toyota is also falling behind the South Koreans ☹️.

Toyota need some more 'PHEV' versions and if they can manage to get 10 miles per charge (2kWh Battery which might be able to fit under a Yaris/Auris rear seat) and under 50g/km it might be cost free for the purchaser (£2500 reduction, IIRC). More details here: Plugin grant info

The current plug-in grant ended in April 2018, and although Government have implied it will be extended to 2020, no announcement has been made yet as regards what form the extension will be.

4 minutes ago, Mike J. said:

I noticed that someone on this site has gone from a Yaris hybrid to a Hyundai hybrid - an interesting choice. The Ionic has 3 electric flavours, 2 are hybrids with an Atkinson style engine - this does seem to show that Toyota is also falling behind the South Koreans ☹️.

Yes but I think that his needs actually fell between the gaps of Toyota's offering rather than that the Ioniq was necessarily better. The Auris is about to be replaced & the Yaris is probably due for replacement next year whereas the Ioniq is at the start of its life (& also 25% dearer).

Toyota need some more 'PHEV' versions and if they can manage to get 10 miles per charge (2kWh battery which might be able to fit under a Yaris/Auris rear seat) and under 50g/km it might be cost free for the purchaser (£2500 reduction, IIRC). More details here: Plugin grant info

Iirc the plug in grant actually ran out in April & whilst it apparently will run in some form until 2020 the details haven't yet been released. https://www.buyacar.co.uk/cars/economical-cars/low-emission-cars/536/government-electric-car-grant-the-complete-guide

Government grants and such things as road tax can cause car manufacturers immense problems - check out the new Suzuki Swift. One version is a mild hybrid that just gets the emissions below 100g/km. As soon as it was released, the zero rate for under 100g/km disappeared.

10 minutes ago, Mike J. said:

Government grants and such things as road tax can cause car manufacturers immense problems - check out the new Suzuki Swift. One version is a mild hybrid that just gets the emissions below 100g/km. As soon as it was released, the zero rate for under 100g/km disappeared.

The revised VED rates were published months before their introduction from 1st April 2017 and the Swift went on sale in March 2017 - so Suzuki and prospective owners would have had notice of the changes. Some owners who purchased in March on the '17' plate would have been able to take advantage of the zero rate VED.

1 minute ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The revised VED rates were published months before their introduction from 1st April 2017 and the Swift went on sale in March 2017 - so Suzuki and prospective owners would have had notice of the changes. Some owners who purchased in March on the '17' plate would have been able to take advantage of the zero rate VED.

Any such hybrid development needs years, not months!

5 minutes ago, Mike J. said:

Any such hybrid development needs years, not months!

Quite obviously - however Suzuki in common with other manufacturers did have months of notice of the impending VED changes, and it isn't as though their mild hybrid was just designed for the UK market. The mild hybrid isn't a particularly big seller for them - with just 1,423 new registrations in 2017.

It is almost certain that the hybrid add-on was to get the emissions below 100g/km. There is no performance increase over the non-hybrid Swift. I could imagine much gnashing of teeth in the marketing department over the VED changes.

Further to my point - I can imagine that Toyota create a PHEV Yaris and Auris only for the grants (that would offset the extra cost over our existing hybrids) to disappear the day after release ☹️.

The issue is that you're just relating this to the UK market, and Toyota won't be developing PHEV's just for this market. Their main push currently is the Chinese market where they have co-developed Corolla and C-HR PHEV's, and their secondary push will probably be the US, where the Prius Prime currently accounts for around 35% of Prius sales. Think Europe will come third or possibly fourth in the pecking order.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links