Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Estate T4....auto light sensor and cruise control issues

Paul Cameron

My Avensis T4 Estate 2009 runs very well...excellent car.

Two issues though: auto light sensor does not operate at all; and the cruise control when set does not engage even though dashboard light says its on....(car just slows to a stop!)

One mechanic suggested that the two issues were part of an electronic module issue but I am not sure about that.....

Would appreciate comments, ideas about how to get these fixed....(main dealers want a lot of money so hoping some independent toyota engineers are out there!!)

I don't know if my Launch diagnostic scanner is good enough pick up any fault codes. A more sophisticated kit should be able to pick up any faults. I had an auto mechanic solve my EPB issue last year, when it was not securely attached properly. My Launch could see the fault, but his laptop based equipment was more precise. It described and located the component, which I then reconnected and properly secured. It was not Toyota specific kit, so you don't need to go to Toyota. 

A couple thoughts - are the rear lights working, is the a tow hitch fitted and is the brake switch checked for working?

I hope you get the faults sorted.  

• Like 1

Some years back I had the same problem with the cruise control on my 2010 Avensis and the Toyota dealer said that the bulkhead drain plugs had been blocked by leaves and this had caused the ECU to be compromised when it rained. They cleared the blockages but were not confident that this would do the trick and said I'd probably need a new ECU at £600. After a few days I tried the cruise control again and it worked fine and the problem never occurred again. Whether this was the correct diagnosis I'll never know but it seemed to work!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links