Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris 1.3 VVTi water leak

saints13579

Hi there,

I bought a toyota yaris 2002 automatic 1.3 vvti  months ago.

There has been water leak in the boot. So i removed the carpet and emptied the spare wheel well and pulled the rubber grommets to allow the water to release and put them back. It clearly has been going on for some time as the car jack and tools are all rusted.

I washed the carpet, dried it, and cleaned the boot throughout, but the leak returned so now the boot has no carpet until i fix the leak.

However, the water is continuous and seems to be more on the left side of the boot.

The rear left footwell carpet is now soaked. Potentially making it's way from the boot?

I have no carpet in the boot now, and after poor weather the boot is wet on the left side of the boot. I have checked the rear lights by removing the plastic cover but all seem dry.

I really don't know what to do, I also don't know what to do with the rear left footwell when the leak is found, how does it get dry?

I have already had to replace the alternator, Battery, wipers and tyres and really don't want to be spending much more in this disaster of a £1700 purchase for my first car.

I really hope to hear from you soon.

Chris.

Could be coming in from a number of places such as rear light cluster (poor/damaged seal), wiring grommet (near tailgate hinges L/H - poor/perished rubber seal), roof aerial,(especially if parked on an incline) tailgate seal, rear screen washer (perished/disconnected pipe) etc. Does it have a sunroof? If so that could be a source of your leak also is there evidence of any accident damage? As you can see it could be one or more of the above.

You say you've removed the plastic cover that accesses the rear light cluster, you could try stuffing paper towel say just above the light fitting and some just below in order trace the source.

Good luck, these faults can be frustrating especially if you don't have the patience of a Saint.

Please let us know how you get on.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your reply.

I was assuming it would be multiple possibilities.

I will first jump in the boot and have someone pour water over the car and try to locate the source. I will use kitchen roll to squeeze in the light too.
I don't have a sunroof, but the aerial is near the windscreen.

Any idea on how to remove the plastic trimming, especially on the left hand side? is it usually just screws or is it a bunch of clips too?

I appreciate your reply and i will let you know the outcome of the water bottle test.

Speak soon,

Chris.

Try sprinkling talcum powder over everywhere ,water should leave tracks.

• Thanks 1

Right, So today is raining really bad an i believe i have found the culprit.

The rear left light is damp/condensation behind the plastic cover. I believe rain is coming through the plastic gaps and into my boot.

I am going to remove the light at some point today or tomorrow, whenever the weather improves, and hopefully the gasket is in place/good condition so i can just buy sealant and seal the bugger.

Any advice on which sealant to buy and where from? Also, if the gasket is missing, there are no replacements online, how do i make one ?

Thank you all for your replies.

Right,

So I have removed the light and immediately met soggy mud. 

The gasket was soggy too, and was not fixed all around to the light. 

So I have it a clean, dry, sealed the unstuck parts and applied sealant on the whole of the top that will connect with the car. 

How long until I can try the water test? 

Regards

Chris

20180502_151043.jpg

20180502_151115.jpg

• Thanks 1

Good work! It seems a very likely cause but I would leave it for at least 24 hours before testing. Thanks for the updates! 

I was tempted to test it a few hours later but decided it was best for it to be left for 24 hours. I will give another update if it is successfully fixed or not.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

Just an update.

I have left it the 24 hours and tested it by pouring water over the whole back, and it stayed dry.
I even took it through a car wash and it is still dry so the light was the culprit.

Thank you for your advice,

Chris

Glad you found it and thanks for posting back, not everyone does.

• Like 1