Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New map for 2018

frenchreg068

I just noticed the latest map dated April 2018 is available.  I need to go to a friend with a Windows Pc  in order to download it as I cannot do so with a Macbook. Has any one downloaded it in the UK and how long did it take.

I just noticed the latest map dated April 2018 is available.  I need to go to a friend with a Windows Pc  in order to download it as I cannot do so with a Macbook. Has any one downloaded it in the UK and how long did it take.

I tried to update the map, but only managed to update the software after several hours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Should be no need to use your friend’s Windows device. You can download map updates to Macs. You then need to make sure usb stick is correctly formatted (there is an App for that), transfer files to root directory of stick as per Toyota instructions and run an App that removes the hidden .ds files that Macs put on drives from your stick. I’ll look up the Apps I used for this and post later.

Bill

You can see hidden files on a Mac by doing shift/command/full stop.  No app required.

Mick.

True, Mick but if every folder has a .DS_Store file and there are a lot of folders.........

You can delve into terminal and use unix commands to bulk delete these but most people don't want to do this. Easier for most people to use something like Cocktail or similar to drag and drop the flash drive onto a landing pad in the App and let it run the Unix commands.

And Toyota doesn't like these innocuous files (or it didn't last time I tried)

Interestingly I can't see .DS_Store with High Sierra - perhaps Apple have changed something.

I think the App I used to format FAT32 was SD Card Formatter

Ok - to answer my own question: Does <Shift><Cmd>. work?

No.
That's just a nice new shortcut in High Sierra they put in for the Terminal command defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE, shows hidden files but leaves .DS_Store files hidden.

Edited by Bill_F
Forgot to say for High Sierra
  • Like 1

Yep. Correct . Just checked.

High Sierra 10.13.4

I used to use Invisibility Toggler, but checking that app now, there aren't any .DS files showing.

Does this mean that High Sierra doesn't have them, or does it mean Invisibility Toggler doesn't work with High Sierra?  I suspect - though I don't know - that HS doesn't use them.

Mick.

Thanks all for your comments, just got back from friends with map copied on to a memory stick, took about 3 hours in all, 1  hour to down load files and the same to copy to stick the rest of the time was waiting for computer to respond and also not being au fait with windows 10.   Will install in car possible tomorrow.   I did try to download on to the Macbook earlier but it wouldn't have it. Will try to format stick with SD card formatter on another stick.  Will report how long it takes to install in car later.

Update:-

Map successfully installed today, took about ¾ hour, I looked at the files on my MacBook before installing and all the files were visible in finder without any problem.   

Next time will try on the Mac as the stick is now formatted as FAT32, will just delete old files before unzipping on to the stick.

My partner has never liked the English female voice, compared to our old TomTom, says its too mechanical, for me as long as I can hear it it's OK .  Pity there does not seem to be any way to change it.