Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

05 Avensis auto wont move

PlainBlackTee

Hi there.

Apologies if im in the wrong place but I’m in a bit of a fix, I have an 05 Auto Avensis with about 130k on the clock. 

Got this car about a month or so ago and have had no issues with it what so ever, lovely car great drive, no advisories and full service history .

This morning however pulling up to the works car park, went to reverse into my space and shifted into reverse and nothing happened.  The auto box moves into R fine and the engine revs but the car did not move. Put it back into drive, same thing car revs fine but no forward movement, and way, pushed it back into the space (heaviest car ever!)

Never had an autobox before and panicking that I’ve done something stupid or wrecked it some how.  Ive googeld and searched but cant find any information on this, there is a faint metallic rattling sound but that’s it, no warning lines no major clanking or sounds, car seems fine, just wont move.

Cars parked up fine for the moment but was looking for some ideas what may be wrong with it before I sort out taking it to the garage. (also if any one knows a good Toyota garage in stoke please let me know)

I had a similar problem with my 1998 Avensis 1.8 auto a few years ago. The problem was that the cable from the gear selector to the gearbox had become detached (at the gear selector end). The RAC came out and made a temporary fix to re-attach it. I drove to my local garage and they re-attached it properly (and charged for 1/2 an hour labour). Hope your problem is as easy to fix as mine was.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, PlainBlackTee said:

Hi there.

Apologies if im in the wrong place but I’m in a bit of a fix, I have an 05 Auto Avensis with about 130k on the clock. 

Got this car about a month or so ago and have had no issues with it what so ever, lovely car great drive, no advisories and full service history .

This morning however pulling up to the works car park, went to reverse into my space and shifted into reverse and nothing happened.  The auto box moves into R fine and the engine revs but the car did not move. Put it back into drive, same thing car revs fine but no forward movement, and way, pushed it back into the space (heaviest car ever!)

Never had an autobox before and panicking that I’ve done something stupid or wrecked it some how.  Ive googeld and searched but cant find any information on this, there is a faint metallic rattling sound but that’s it, no warning lines no major clanking or sounds, car seems fine, just wont move.

Cars parked up fine for the moment but was looking for some ideas what may be wrong with it before I sort out taking it to the garage. (also if any one knows a good Toyota garage in stoke please let me know)

Check the transmission fluid. If you have the handbook/manual for the car, it should tell you where to look. Dave's answer is better.

So quick update, on my lunch brake I nipped back to the car to check the transmission fluid as Konrad recommended.  Having read that it meant to be checked whilst running I first checked with the engine off and it read above the "hot" notches, and with the car running it reads well below the "cold" notches.  

Now I know it was all ok and had been serviced last month so I had quick look around and right where my car stopped working this morning there was a metal o-ring/ Jubilee clip and a bit of rubber house that looked corroded and damaged.  Working theory any chance that the transmission fluid hose had been damaged and dumped my transmission fluid at some point in my journey in and when I came to stop and put it in reverse the whole thing (for want of a better word) just prolapsed itself?

Cheers for the help so far.

Rick.

Hi again, just thought id update,  so got it  towed to the garage and apparently the drive shaft has snapped. Never heard or felt anything, but there you go.

Another broken driveshaft thread just the other day...

So Just to close the thread, she lives, she drives.  Snapped drive shaft due to corrosion. Local garage in Stoke-on-Trent called snows, www.snowsgarage.co.uk  sorted it out quick with great customer service, came in at £280 and seemed good lads. Thanks to all who gave input.

• Like 1

Glad to hear you got it sorted - and not too costly - on the scale of these things.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links