Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Noisy

Darren ross

Some one help me, Just got myself a Toyota Aygo 08  plate,. Lovely car, Went out for a drive and  notice it's very noisy I'm going to hit 50 and

got more noisier

is it  normal for this or they something wrong with

and I'm getting worried to send it back  

so help me please 

Hi Darren,

Welcome to the club matey!

What do you mean by Noisy exactly? Please elaborate on this if i may very kindly mention. Are you referring to engine sounds, cabin sounds, road sounds, Etc ?

Sammy

FYI, the back boxes on these can get noisy after a few years, due to the baffles rusting internally. The baffles break apart and can't do their job properly of absorbing exhaust noise. Coupled with a fairly noisy 3 pot engine, it's a recipe for extra noise.

Petrol engines produce water vapour, and many Aygos don't drive far enough each journey to expel the water from the exhaust system. It collects in the back box and creates the perfect environment for rust to attack. I've had to replace the back box on two different Aygos because of this. Luckily they're cheap and easy to replace.

Not saying it's definitely the exhaust system, but if it's the original on a 2008 car, then it's one place you need to take a look at.

4 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Hi Darren,

Welcome to the club matey!

What do you mean by Noisy exactly? Please elaborate on this if i may very kindly mention. Are you referring to engine sounds, cabin sounds, road sounds, Etc ?

Sammy

Hi sammy 

sorry what I mean, when I'm driving it noisy the engine sound

is it  normal for this as it a small car and 1.0 engine

Darren

The Aygo has a 3 cylinder engine which does sound different - more growly under certain conditions. The 1.0 litre VW Up, Hyundai i10, Kia Picanto, etc all have 3 cylinder 1.0 litre engines and sound similar. 

Evening Darren, 

Its difficult to determine if your vehicle is normal without a sound clip...but in general...if you have never driven a 3 cylinder vehicle before...then most definitely...it will take some getting used to. We’ve had our Ayg since January this year...and we are still adjusting to it...although my vehicle has a few issues...at the end of the day...i absolutely love her and hope never to part.

If you have any concerns Darren...feel free to report back...the guys on this forum are most helpful.

Take care, all the best.

Sammy

21 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Evening Darren, 

Its difficult to determine if your vehicle is normal without a sound clip...but in general...if you have never driven a 3 cylinder vehicle before...then most definitely...it will take some getting used to. We’ve had our Ayg since January this year...and we are still adjusting to it...although my vehicle has a few issues...at the end of the day...i absolutely love her and hope never to part.

If you have any concerns Darren...feel free to report back...the guys on this forum are most helpful.

Take care, all the best.

Sammy

Hi sammy 

thank you and yes the first time driven a 3 cylinder, you help lot to under stand the car now 

it well take time for me to get used to it and hope I enjoy it

once again thank you 

darren 

if you really have concerns about the car go to your local toyota dealer and ask them if they could go for a quick run in it to put your mind at ease

To find out if your Aygo is "more noisy" than other Aygo of the same model as yours, first find the noisiest patch of road in your neighbour hood, while driving your aygo. Find a similar model Aygo at a car dealer and pretending to be a potential buyer taker the dealer's Aygo for a drive in that neighbourhood and decide if the noise level is same or less than your car. If you have trouble deciding, go back and drive your car on that road after the dealers car. It should then be clear. Ok let us say that your car is as noisy as the dealers car and that means that Aygos are generally noisy both engine, road and wind noise. That is why most of us have sound proofed our Aygo quite extensively. How to do it is another thread/topic.

• Thanks 1

What made me realise that there is very little sound proofing on the mk1 Aygos, is the first time I had a stone flick up from the road and hit the underside. It made a proper thud, which made me initially think I had run over something much bigger. It happens every now and again, but at least now I know it sounds much worse than it actually is.

General driving noise doesn't bother me, I like to hear what the engine is doing. I never have music playing while driving. My Aygo has 'suffered' from a noisy (raspy) exhaust since I've owned it. I now believe the baffles in the back box may be rotting. I don't know if this has any adverse effect on MPG.  

The first time we drove our Aygo, we noticed a lot of engine noise, road noise, tyre noise, noise of other cars passing by and it was terrible above 100km/h. It was a huge contrast to our BMW E91. I decided to then get down to sound insulating the Aygo and boy did it get better, much better!

Most of us have been quite satisfied after almost tearing down the inner floor lining of the aygo and applying two sorts of damping, first the bitumen pads and then closed cell foam layer above the bitumen and finally the original carpet above the foam layer. The most benefit we got was from damping the rear cargo are where the spare wheel lives. Then the next area seems to be the doors. Out with door cards and in with both bitumen layer and some foam, before putting it back. Then comes the wheel arch from inside the car. Then comes the floor in front of rear and front passenger and driver where the feet rest. Bitumen pad and foam even there. Then comes the engine compartment, hood liner. The original hood liner is a joke. Then comes the rear c pillars, quite noisy, just foam lining there. Finally xtra plastic curved wheel arch shield from out side the car (don't know if it is still available), it hides the bare metal arch and provides tyre road noise insulation. I have got a few more places but that is being picky. With this amount of sound proofing, my son thrashes the Aygo to 150Km/h on the highway and the noise is not all troublesome. It is mostly low rumble that remains and is tolerable.

Amazing efforts from the guys to soundproof...i wonder how many other guys are like me...whereby my stereo sits at volume 55 lol

Just a thought could it be a noisy wheel bearing?    The one I had a few months back started off being noisy only above 50MPH.  

Fitting quieter tyres has quite an effect for reducing the overall noise.

I've got some house carpet underlay tucked away ready to be used on the boot and rear seat/footwell area whenever I find the time. Once the carpet is up there will be a chance to fit a switch to activate the interior light when the front passenger door is opened. Luxury !

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...

I bought my wife a new aygo 2020 the rasp of the exaust is awful you say all 3 cylinder cars are noisy not true my b_max 3 cylinder with turbo is very quiet when I get time I will take it to dealer and have a talk with them

wouldnt say mine is noisey ...okay its a cheap car and not silent like a luxury one , at 70mph i dont hear the engine or exhaust too much , its mostyl wind noise and tyre noise 

15 hours ago, jack ward said:

I bought my wife a new aygo 2020 the rasp of the exaust is awful you say all 3 cylinder cars are noisy not true my b_max 3 cylinder with turbo is very quiet when I get time I will take it to dealer and have a talk with them

I know this sounds crazy, but give it a few thousand miles and see if it quietens. I had my exhaust replaced by the dealer last year with an original one (the ones they fit at the factory). It was louder than I ever remember from the stock exhaust. Thinking that they must have fitted it with the back box joint not sealed properly, I was going to take it back for them to inspect it.

Anyway, I didn't get round to taking it back, but have noticed that it is now much quieter after about another thousand miles or so of driving. Maybe you've just gotta wait for the internal baffles to soot up a bit.

My 2020 Aygo is MUCH quieter than my 2008 C1 was, OK it's not as refined as a VW or an Audi  but then you're not paying their kind of money and sound insulation isn't cheap.

On the flip side, my Yaris' 3-pot is noisier and shakier than my old diesel at idle speeds!! :laugh:

Thankfully, like the Aygo's 3-pot, it gets smoother and quieter the faster it revs... :naughty:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links