Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2002 Rav4 D4D Hot starting problem

bobwill27

Hi Guys.

A while since I've been here again.

I've had this problem for quite a while now.

The car will start in the mornings no problem. And again at night. But if I drive for say, half an hour or so and turn it off. Say at a fuel station. It really struggles to start again.

It's as if the Battery is run down. It sometimes takes 4 or 5 turns of the key. The engine barely turning over. But if I leave it for say 10 minutes it starts perfectly fine.

I have had the Battery tested and it's perfectly fine. Showing 13v and doesn't drop. 

My best guess is that the starter motor has a problem or it is a sensor at fault.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My son had the same problem on his Avensis and it turned out to be his starter motor. He changed the starter motor and no more problem.

It turned out to be full of dust from the clutch. 

• 11 months later...
On 5/2/2018 at 10:54 PM, bobwill27 said:

Hi Guys.

The car will start in the mornings no problem. And again at night. But if I drive for say, half an hour or so and turn it off. Say at a fuel station. It really struggles to start again.

It's as if the battery is run down. It sometimes takes 4 or 5 turns of the key. The engine barely turning over. But if I leave it for say 10 minutes it starts perfectly fine.

I have had the battery tested and it's perfectly fine. Showing 13v and doesn't drop. 

My best guess is that the starter motor has a problem or it is a sensor at fault.

On 5/2/2018 at 10:54 PM, bobwill27 said:

Hi Guys.

It's as if the battery is run down. It sometimes takes 4 or 5 turns of the key. The engine barely turning over. But if I leave it for say 10 minutes it starts perfectly fine.

I have had the battery tested and it's perfectly fine. Showing 13v and doesn't drop. 

Hi did you ever find out what the problem was having the same problem with mine 

Does the engine turn over fast enough 

• 1 year later...

Hi

Still have the car. Put a brand new starter on it. Made absolutely no difference.

Still have not found the problem despite combing the internet and forums. Seems a few people have had this problem but has never been solved. Highly unusual considering the model is 20 year old. I may have to give up on it and send it to the breakers yard as it is becoming too unreliable. Not a word I often use about Toyota!

In response to the last question. No it doesn't turn over fast enough. It's as though the Battery is flat. 5 or 10 minutes later. Turns over fine and starts.