Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010 Avensis Estate changed rear calipers but now showing fault

GAZB

Had a problem with my passenger rear brake slightly binding , checked brakes and both rubbers had split badly on both of the pistons , I bought 2 brand new rear calipers for £60 each and fitted them with new pads , all fitted okay but now im getting check parking brake fault , and to apply the handbrake I have to turn the car off then it applies , any idea how to solve this

Thanks

Try press and hold the EPB button for a few seconds, whilst pressing the brake pedal. Repeat it a few times until the EPB button stops flashing and the warning has disappeared. 

When I changed the rear disc and pads, the EPB button flashed until the above was tried. Then the system seemed to reset itself.

Failing that, you need somebody with good diagnostics to reset the EPB.  

Edited by Konrad C
spelling
  • Like 1

Thanks Konrad ive tried above what you have said but still no luck , ive noticed once the handbrake has been released to put it back on you have to turn the ignition off then back on for it to apply ?

Is it a special fault reader , who would have one would it be Toyota main dealer only

Any recommended independent Toyota  garages up on the North West area

Thanks

Tried a few fault readers but no luck , showing needs caliper calibrate , just read on here somewhere about joining a piece of of wire in obd port 4 and 12 , anyone else done this as I dont want to make matters worse

Yes try linking pins 4 and 12 on the OBD socket to clear the code. I used this method before, which was partially successful - the gear position sensor was loosely connected, then totally disconnected the next day. 

Here is the link to the fix courtesy of Jimmyfixit - 

To reset the some of the systems - link 4 and 12 on OBD with a piece of wire, turn to IGN (don't start engine), within 5 seconds push the parking button 3 times, then pull 3 times. The red parking brake warning will flash rapidly and the yellow warning brake light goes out. 

The OBD socket pinpots - Image result for OBD socket pinout

Give it a try. 

Think ive found the problem , took my car to have the fault codes reset but still couldnt remove or reset them , jacked the rear of the car up and watched the cable functioning and the passenger side sticks and releases , probably the reason the passenger rear wheel has been slightly binding for a while , just been to a breakers and picked one up for £300 , garage is going to fit it tomorrow then hiopefully everything should be okay

Really having a nightmare with this now , bought a replacement actuator for £300 from a breakers , had a local garage fit it but its now showing :

zero point calibration of clutch stroke sensor undone

zero point calibration of g sensor undone 

19 hours ago, GAZB said:

Really having a nightmare with this now , bought a replacement actuator for £300 from a breakers , had a local garage fit it but its now showing :

zero point calibration of clutch stroke sensor undone

zero point calibration of g sensor undone 

Now go back to jimmyfixit post I linked above in a previous post and try the OBD jumper trick as described. The other option is to get a garage with good diagnostic software to calibrate the sensors. 

Not been able to work now for over 2 weeks as im a taxi driver , Toyota are diagnosing it as a faulty Handbrake actuator , £1500 they want to repair it , the car is not worth much more than this my heads done in with it , Toyota are saying they I wont be able to fit a used one from a breakers because it will be registered to the original car and my car will only allow for a new one to be fitted ????

I'm not certain but I don't think that's correct. Dealers are often economical with the truth when their Palm is outstretched. I know of a company that reconditions these actuators, it's listed somewhere on this site. If I can find it I'll post it here. Note that the part is different for an auto and they aren't interchangeable. Just a search on flea bay told me that there's a lively market in used units with money back of not working, tells me that your dealer is FOS. Ian

Hi Gary.

Sounds like you are having a nightmare with your car and I sympathise for you. Give this guy a call/email, he's a main dealer Toyota parts person and is straight as a dye as they say, helped out many people on here, including myself and because of his attitude is one of Toyota's best parts people.

On here he is known as Kingo or The Parts King you can seek out his profile or his works number is 01978 720074 or his email is John.Devlin@lindop.toyota.co.uk.

You are welcome to tell him I gave his contact details as I know he is ok about it.

Like I say he's a straight guy and you can trust what he tells you.

Mike.

• Like 1

Thanks alot everyone to be fair the Avensis has been a good car since ive owned it over the last 18 months , just this now is an headache , especially when its used to make me money with being a taxi driver , the guy I dealt with today seems a nice guy and is going to speak with Toyota tomorrow and see what they can do on the price , problem is if id of known what I do now id of been aswell as paying the cost at the beginning and that way I wouldn't of lost over 2 weeks wages . Just hard to justify paying so much money on 10 plate Avensis thats done 150k

Toyota said the Actuator I got from a breakers was programmed to another cars VIN so would not let them add it to my ECU 

Surely not everyone has had to buy a brand new module , anyone on here used a 2nd hand one without any problems after fitting it

• 2 weeks later...

Car has been in Toyota main dealers for over 3 weeks now , im absolutely P****d off , Car was diagnosed with a faulty actuator , So Toyota orders a brand new one and fitted it , still same problem Handbrake warning light on , Toyota seem to think the new actuator may be faulty so order a new one , a few more days waiting again , new actuator arrives and still same problem bear in mind they have had my car over 2 weeks now and fitted 2 new actuators on it , then they tell me the new callipers fitted from the start are the problem so can they have the old callipers back to try them as it would be a few days for new ones to arrive , so off i go again and drop the old callipers off with split piston rubbers , whilst they are fitting them back on they snap the bleed nipple on on the n/s one so I then get a phone call to explain this , off I go to buy a set of brand new calipers again this time from a different supplier from the first set ive bought ( from Europarts OE Spec ) , so I drop them off , next day I get a phone call saying the new N/S calliper is faulty the return spring is not returning the arm back all the way so off I go again and swap it over for another one , then they fit it take it for a road test and still the same so they ring me again and now say the O/S new calliper is faulty , as you can imagine at this point im ready to blow 4 weeks off work with no wages coming in and these idiots P*****g me about , now anyone with common sense and where talking about a big main dealer here I had to tell them to fit the original O/S calliper with the split rubber ( the one they hadn't snapped the bleed nipple in ) to check if it took the lights off and worked okay , day later I get a phone call to say its sorted all working and no warning lights on , so I say its all fine working but now I have a brand new calliper on the N/S  and old calliper on the O/S with split rubber thats going to cause me problems in the next few months sticking , they say only way to solve it is for them to fit a Genuine Toyota calliper , so hang on then ill have a genuine Toyota calliper and an O.E spec calliper on the other side ?????

Can you understand my frustration here im dealing with idiots , then they say they will only charge me ££££ for the new Handbrake Actuator module and labour to fit it  , they wont charge me for the 30+ hours of them fault finding , they even spent a full day checking the tow bar wiring as they said that could cause the handbrake light to come on

im not having it one bit that every new calliper fitted to an avensis has to be genuine Toyota or will break the Handbrake actuator module , you only need to look over Yorkshire , Manchester and Birmingham 95% of taxi's are Toyota Avensis its got to be rubbish that

I never had a problem with my actuator before new callipers where fitted and they said by fitting the O.E spec callipers has broken the Actuator

This is a Toyota main dealer , I was lead to believe Toyota where very good , absolute load of idiots

Bear in mind its a 20 mile round journey there and back for me in which ive done this over 5 times in the last 3 weeks , ive booked 6 Taxi M.O.T re tests at £23 a time because they promised me each time it would be fixed and it wasnt and you cant get these costs cancelled so thats £138 up in smoke and council are not happy about me keep having to keep cancelling last minute , had to keep booking because there was over a weeks waiting list at one point for just a re test and just wanted to get back out earning money

Hi mate.

Email this man, he is one of Toyota's best parts people, he will give you honest advise, trust this man, he is 100% genuine John.Devlin@lindop.toyota.co.uk he also uses the name 'Kingo'

Regards, Mike

Thanks Mike I spoke to John the other week , only reason I didnt use them is because there 50 miles from me , wish I had of done now , really feel like ive been had over here though and really bad service from Toyota

You need to differentiate between Toyota, the manufacturer, & a Toyota dealer - they are not 1 & the same. Unfortunately even Toyota has the odd dealer that lets the rest down.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys new to this site . Had the same prob after I fitted a rear caliper , discs and pads . My model is an avensis 2010 2.0 d4d epb brake . Had the fault code c1346 and c1336. Here is a bosh kts instruction on how to calibrate . It worked for me and auto hold and rev change and cruise control is back again . Any questions just ask 

20180612_130103.jpg

20180612_130014.jpg

20180612_130040.jpg

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

I stupidly used the wrong diagnostic tool (Launch CReader VIII), to reset my brakes and triggered the EPB warnings. I then got my diagnostic laptop, which I should have used in the first place, and got the codes - C1346 and C1336. 

I tried Techstream but it could not remove one of the codes (C1336). Delphi could not remove either codes (C1346 and C1336). There is a Techstream mode to reset the EPB, but it states 'for use if the EPB has been replaced'! The EPB works, but the aito release does not work. I don't want to take any more risks without advice.  

Few questions. During the process of using the 'paperclip' method to link terminals 4 and 12 on the OBD socket, it says - the parking brake indicator flashes, remove the link, switch off ignition, the Brake warning light goes out. Then switch on ignition. Actuate the parking brake several times and release again. 

Is this the correct order and not a translation error. Did you follow this to the letter. Was the link pulled during the Parking brake indicator flashing and ignition off within 8 seconds?

I have tried a slight different link method with no success. The Parking brake indicator does flash, but the cautions and warnings did not disappear. Maybe this could be the difference?   

5 hours ago, Konrad C said:

I stupidly used the wrong diagnostic tool (Launch CReader VIII), to reset my brakes and triggered the EPB warnings. I then got my diagnostic laptop, which I should have used in the first place, and got the codes - C1346 and C1336. 

I tried Techstream but it could not remove one of the codes (C1336). Delphi could not remove either codes (C1346 and C1336). There is a Techstream mode to reset the EPB, but it states 'for use if the EPB has been replaced'! The EPB works, but the aito release does not work. I don't want to take any more risks without advice.  

Few questions. During the process of using the 'paperclip' method to link terminals 4 and 12 on the OBD socket, it says - the parking brake indicator flashes, remove the link, switch off ignition, the Brake warning light goes out. Then switch on ignition. Actuate the parking brake several times and release again. 

Is this the correct order and not a translation error. Did you follow this to the letter. Was the link pulled during the Parking brake indicator flashing and ignition off within 8 seconds?

I have tried a slight different link method with no success. The Parking brake indicator does flash, but the cautions and warnings did not disappear. Maybe this could be the difference?   

I fixed the issue using Techstream. It was a case of going into the EPB menu then removing the cautions/warnings and DTC's. The lights went out on the dash. After disconnecting the kit I used, as soon as I started the car, everything worked normally - auto release.

• 1 year later...

On 6/12/2018 at 7:36 PM, Aidan857 said:

Hey guys new to this site . Had the same prob after I fitted a rear caliper , discs and pads . My model is an avensis 2010 2.0 d4d epb brake . Had the fault code c1346 and c1336. Here is a bosh kts instruction on how to calibrate . It worked for me and auto hold and rev change and cruise control is back again . Any questions just ask 

20180612_130103.jpg

20180612_130014.jpg

20180612_130040.jpg

Exactly my issue. Did you ran this procedure yourself?

Reset procedure works.  Make sure the caliper pots actually are positioned correctly and the pads are fitted securely to the key on the pots.  Then press the foot brake to adjust the brakes correctly before actuating the epb. The same as any other parking brake system.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/8/2019 at 1:44 PM, Konrad C said:

I fixed the issue using Techstream. It was a case of going into the EPB menu then removing the cautions/warnings and DTC's. The lights went out on the dash. After disconnecting the kit I used, as soon as I started the car, everything worked normally - auto release.

by chance Konrad buddy would you know the step by step way to use techstream to get centerpoint for the epb. my one works great i did my rear breaks great and all works well its just to know for later in life incase so il have the info at hand .cant remember what version of techstream i have its a eBay one seems to work as i turned off the annoying beeps and dings etc