Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

RAV4 d4d died on motorway, won’t start

skcollob_ho

Morning all. The wife was heading up the motorway when the engine began to struggle, she notice quite a bit of black smoke before the engine died. Luckily, she was in the slow lane and coasted to a stop on the hard shoulder. She attempted to restart after a few minutes, but no joy. It cranks really slowly, and refuses to start. We called the AA out, and he said it was a knackered turbo, but me being cynical of AA Roadside diagnostics, I’m not sure he’s right, as in my mind (with limited mechanical knowledge), a knackered turbo wouldn’t prevent the car from restarting, would it? I’ve sourced prices for a recon turbo, but to be honest, I’d rather see if the issue lies elsewhere, due mainly to my sceptisism of it actually being the turbo. 

Has anyone experienced this with a RAV4? Can someone help point me in the right direction please?

many thanks in advance. 

Michael

I don't know much about diesels, but taking into account that it cranks really slowly, my guess is that the alternator died and the Battery ran down so low that the emission control system started to malfunction, hence reduced power and black smoke.

To prove/disprove this, recharge the Battery and try starting.  If you have an OBD2/EOBD tester, plug it in and see which fault codes come up.

Thanks for the reply. It was returned home late last night and today, I put some jump leads on it, and it started up fine. Well, i filled the street with white smoke, but essentially, it's up and running. I tried plugging in my OBD reader, but it wouldn't link to the vehicle, (which was a bit strange as it links fine with my Avensis), so unable to read any faults at the moment. It would be typical of my luck though, if the alternator has fried as well as the turbo!

To check the alternator, measure the voltage at the Battery terminals with the engine running.  Should be about 13.6 V or more.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links