Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oil type for 2ad engine - 2005

Mr Avensis

hi,

after an extensive search i am none the wiser as to what oil to buy for an oil change on a 2ad engine.

i do not have the user manual and there are no stickers i can see on the vehicle.

i summise that i require 5w-30 but does it matter if it is b1, b2, c2 etc?

if i go on Mobil or Shell sites it states for my reg that the c rated oils like "Shell helix ultra professional" (c3) are preferred but that i can also use Shell hx7.

cheers.

2005, d4d, 2ad

Have a look at 

Toyota doesn't specify either semi or fully synthetic nor brand.

12 hours ago, Mr Avensis said:

hi,

after an extensive search i am none the wiser as to what oil to buy for an oil change on a 2ad engine.

i do not have the user manual and there are no stickers i can see on the vehicle.

i summise that i require 5w-30 but does it matter if it is b1, b2, c2 etc?

if i go on mobil or shell sites it states for my reg that the c rated oils like "shell helix ultra professional" (c3) are preferred but that i can also use shell hx7.

cheers.

2005, d4d, 2ad

is it a 2AD-FHV or FTV?

No idea if its fhv or ftv, however wikipedia states the higher powered t180 is fhv, mine is t25 so is possibly the lower powered ftv.

The T25 for the Avensis model generation & the T180 for the engine/trim designation are not related.

Do you know the power output of your engine or if you open the bonnet what does it say on the engine cover (& in what colour)?

Cant find anything besides the vin number.

I did type the vin into toyodiy.com which states that the car is FTV:

06/2005 TOYOTA AVENSIS (ADT251R-AWFEYW)

TEC EUR WG RHD 2ADFTV DCR MTM 6F

Just to confirm, if you open the bonnet does the engine cover have D-4D or D-CAT on it?

If it is an FTV it is highly unlikely that it has a DPF in which case you don't need C2 rated oil. If it is a D-CAT (FHV) it should have C2.

Engine cover says D-4D.

Is D-Cat the same as catalytic converter? Because they are selling them on eBay for the FTV (non DPF model).

Ive taken a pic of the box that seems to be attached between turbo and exhaust, its not very good angle but couldnt get in, could this be a DPF?

If it has neither DCAT/DPF what's in its place?

cheers.

IMG_20180509_165055.jpg

No a D-CAT (which wouldbe an FHV) means that it has a DPNR ( a toyota-specific type of DPF) but as expected the fact that the cover just says D4D confirms your VIN decode as an FTV.

In 2005 it wasn't required to have a DPF fitted (much later FTVs do have DPFs but a different type from FHVs).

Great, thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mr Avensis,

Not sure if you have had an answer yet, if not I just serviced my avensis, a 2006 2adftv, and this is the oil I purchased from Eurocarparts.

Fully synthetic for 16 quid.

Matt

521772231 Shell Engine Oil (Helix HX7 Professional AF Engine Oil - 5W-30 - 5ltr)

Hi drew.

I have a 2005 2.2 D4d. No dpf fitted.

Toyota put in Mobil super 3000 formula "P" 5-30.

It's not easy to get as Mobil 3000 has a number of different formula, however I can send you a link if you wish. Hope this helps?

Regards

Peter

15276550200342087693395.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links