Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

ICE will not cut out on a hot day

kevin h

Had been driving in the hills of the peak district in my 65 plate Auris hybrid.

Battery was the equivalent of two bars bellow a full charge, but was stuck in traffic with the ICE still running.

Tried to override into EV, but no joy for the best part of 10 minutes, with no strain being put on the drive train as it was all a steady downward stop start drive through some traffic lights.

Now, I know that at the end of a steep hill, with a very full Battery, the ICE will run for a short period of time, but it soon cuts out once moving.

So, what causes this little issue to happen, is it normal?

Windows open, air con off, so nothing requiring energy.

What would happen if the traction batteries (i.e. the ones under the rear seat) got hot through the repeated charge/discharge of driving up and down hills?

If that were the case, I would expect the car to stop using the batteries until they had cooled, then giving the symptoms you describe?

I have not had a similar situation, but then it's pretty flat around here.

Even if that is not the case, on your car it is always worth occasionally checking that the Battery cooling inlet (under the l/h rear seat, on the vertical face near the door) is kept clean.  Later cars have a filter fitted for this.  Maybe yours has.

• Like 1

Had exactly same problem - near side rear passenger seat, just under cushion there's a vent, behind which there is a mesh in font of the hybrid Battery calling fan . If mesh gets blocked, get symptoms as described.  Try and a thin nozzled hoover, if not you will have to access the mesh and clean out - sorry cant tell you how, as Mr T did mine - amazed its not on service schedule for hybrids TBH. Good luck !!  

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links