Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Purring noise when paddle pressed

wahab

Hi All,

I am new to forum and recently bought yaris 1.3vvti petrol 2009 manual. I am faced with a dilemma of knowing a noise that i hear when i press the paddle quickly in neutral and noticeable purring noise comes and the disappears as car rev higher i.e 1500-2000 rpm. Also same sound appear when car is in a high gar and i push the paddle to give it a but juice and same purring noise comes and once rpm goes higher it disappears. 

This noise is similar to some sort of exhaust noise that one can experience at silencer end. There is no leak in silencer. I am baffled what is this noise. If anyone has experienced this please share your knowledge and findings.

Much appreciate your help.

Kind regards

I have to admit that my first thoughts were someone had 'shoehorned' a v8 into your yaris, but I actually have no idea and apologise for being no help at all.

hahaha Steve i thought so as well when i first drove it as if it has a turbo installed. But realised its a bit more of concerning now, as it could be any underlying problem in engine or its associated components. 

thanks anyways

Hi, without seeing or listening to it, It sounds like either the Altenator bearing or the Clutch Thrust bearing. neither are likely to fail immediately. and should give you time to get replacement organised.

Thanks Phil,  yes i totally agree , i will get a video attached tomorrow. Cheers guys! 

hi guys i managed to get the video with concerning sound, i am attaching 2 videos one with while car is neutral, and one while in gear and driving. You will be able to sense the purr when car is in big gear and car you are trying to pull it.  Please ignore the pulley or alternator squeaking noise as the car was parked for sometime after engine clean hence the squeak, it goes away after 2 minutes. WhatsApp Video 2018-05-13 at 23.32.57 (1).mp4 WhatsApp Video 2018-05-13 at 23.32.57.mp4

Just now, wahab said:

hi guys i managed to get the video with concerning sound, i am attaching 2 videos one with while car is neutral, and one while in gear and driving. You will be able to sense the purr when car is in big gear and car you are trying to pull it.  Please ignore the pulley or alternator squeaking noise as the car was parked for sometime after engine clean hence the squeak, it goes away after 2 minutes. WhatsApp Video 2018-05-13 at 23.32.57 (1).mp4 WhatsApp Video 2018-05-13 at 23.32.57.mp4

WhatsApp_Video_2018-05-13_at_23_32.57_(1).mp4

WhatsApp_Video_2018-05-13_at_23_32_57.mp4

Hi Wahab, that sounds like an exhaust manifold gasket blowing rather than a bearing. Small leak, try holding a piece of paper where you think the noise is coming from, then the paper will start to flutter as you increase revs.

On 15/05/2018 at 3:50 PM, Bomber209 said:

Hi Wahab, that sounds like an exhaust manifold gasket blowing rather than a bearing. Small leak, try holding a piece of paper where you think the noise is coming from, then the paper will start to flutter as you increase revs.

Thanks phil, i will give it a try, and get back to you if it works! Many Thanks 

Hi

On 15/05/2018 at 3:50 PM, Bomber209 said:

I checked it but couldn't see, hear any lead from the exhaust manifold but i think this could be coming from the inlet manifold or where the air filter housing is going to the engine, will investigate more in daylight tomorrow... any more suggestions?

I have dismentled inlet manifold to see but couldn't find anything.

do you guys think this is a catalytic converter issue as i have read some posts on internet matching similar problem.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links