Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hatchback boot lock seized

DeTomato

After years of my Corolla sitting around before I rescued it, i have the problem of a ceased hatchback boot lock where the key goes in.

The key fits in but doesn't turn. The key lock internal barrel won't turn and is ceased, grey with oxidization.

I am reluctant to use WD-40 because it gets dirty, mucky and blackened with road grit making locks cease up internally later on.

Does anyone have any suggestions to free up my hatchback lock without damaging the surrounding paintwork?

Thanks.

Hi,

What about spraying in Brake Cleaner and try moving the  key /cylinders  before it dries ?

Never tried , but a blast of Silicone Spray might be enough to lubricate things  without creating a muck magnet;   even De_icer spray , you never know  ?

Always used 3 in1 oil on my locks and hinges, and though never use them, they always seem free when I do try them.

• Like 1

Use the WD, DeTomato!

Seriously, stick the straw inside the lock (as you would with the key) and give it a squirt. Leave it a while to soak in then try it. Be prepared to repeat this a few times. Just wipe any spillage away.

In general, a few drops of engine oil on the key and work any available locks as an annual maintenance job. Seized locks are far more common now so many of us have the magic plip to do all that hard work for us! My driver's door lock was seized when I got my Corolla, but I soon got it working fine again as described above.

• Like 1

ok so I tried lots of penetrating type fluids in the lock barrel but it won't budge. I wonder if its really rusted up inside the lock itself! The electronic boot lock is working, but not the mechanical bit.

Any idea how to check the internal boot lock? Anyone know how to access it? 

Hi,

If you look in the inside trim panel you should see one or two  hand sized access hatches, that are carefully prized out with a flat blade.

They are there for the number plate bulb changes, but not sure if you can get to the lock via them, if not its a full trim removal, just do it carefully to minimize any damage to the clips etc.

Thanks for this. I decided to try squirting a lot of DP-60 penetrating spray into the lock and around the barrel turn system. Left it overnight and this morning it released with a "Click" and now it's working along with the electronic locking also. Patience in dealing with it was all worthwhile. Phew. I've now put some silicon spray around the barrel mechanism and it turns well now. Thanks all.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links