Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Strange clutch pedal

Propan Butan

Hi there just recently purchased a. 2010 Toyota Avensis 1.8 v matic tourer with 48000 miles on the clock. This is the problem I got. The clutch pedal feels tiny bit loose in loose I mean there side to side movement maybe a 1 millimeter even brake pedal feels similar. My previous car was a Skoda fabia and the pedals were rock solid. Is this normal? 

I will check my car pedals when I next use it. In the meantime, here are a couple of diagrams showing the pedals, starting with the clutch pedal - AVENSIS |  CLUTCH PEDAL FLEXIBLE HOSESee if the hinge nut and bolt can be tightened - 31324.

Next is the brake pedal - AVENSIS |  BRAKE PEDAL BRACKET Hinge bolt 47124.

In both diagrams there are bushes, nut and bolts that can be checked. If the bushes are worn then they will need to be replaced. I suggested tightening the nut and bolts a little,to take up slack if the bushes are okay. 
I was going to say that each manufacturer make their cars differently, until I checked the diagrams. So long as the play does not affect the control of the car, I would not worry too much.

Toyota has a recall checker where one can check whether the car has any outstanding g recalls it voluntary customer service campaigns - https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/vehicle-information/recall-checker-info.json#/iframe/https%3A%2F%2Fforms.toyota.co.uk%2Frecall-checker%3F_ga%3D2.264443403.581321202.1526026157-139765856.1522695453 

In 2010 there was an accelerator pedal recall for some models where on one type of accelerator pedal had to be adjusted for sideways play.

• Like 2

Right I have checked the pedals, and the pedal clutch has no side play but, the brake pedal has quite a lot of side play. I will check the condition of the bushes and tighten the nut and bolt, to see if that helps. 

It may vary from car to car.

22 minutes ago, Konrad C said:

Right I have checked the pedals, and the pedal clutch has no side play but, the brake pedal has quite a lot of side play. I will check the condition of the bushes and tighten the nut and bolt, to see if that helps. 

It may vary from car to car.

The bolt is already tight, plus access is not good from the left. Since it never bothered me, I will leave it.

Thank for all your replay. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links