Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Removing Insurance Black Box Unit

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hi All

Whilst being in the process of upgrading the tweeter Speakers from factory to aftermarket on my Aygo...i noticed an insurance black box hidden behind the drivers side pillar. All i can see is the box screwed into the metal pillar and i think i see a wire coming from it going into the rear of the dash.

My questions are should i remove it? I Wonder what it is connected to? Or should i leave it there as its not in my way really🤗

if its bothering you so much then remove it, personally i would remove it as you dont know what data is being collected

about you and where the info is being sent to.

from what i have seen on youtube there are 4 wires to disconnect so it may take a couple of hours

to complete the task .

Sam, if the black box was from a former owner and nothing to do with you, then you can remove it. I am sure that if a black box was installed by an insurance company, they tend to be bespoke to a particular company. If say, you decided to have a black box, the insurance company may install it's own, unless the black box is the same make!

In most cases it would a matter of minutes to cut and terminate the connections. A friend I know has a black box connected to the OBD socket in the passenger kick panel. It was damaged when a passenger accidently kicked it, knocking one of the internal circuit boards out. I repaired the unit and plugged it back in, since it was easy to reassemble. 

Interested in you speaker upgrade. Are only doing the tweeter or also the bass/mid Speakers too?   

Thanks guys,

Im a bit worried about this one, if i cut and terminate the wires, will it affect anything to do with my vehicles performance or operation??? I have no idea what the black box taps into exactly. Unscrewing the box and cutting the lead to it is the easy bit !!!

Please let me know your thoughts guys...should i just chop that cable?

have a look on youtube there are videos on there but the ones i have seen there is a bit

of taking apart to get to the wires ,but when you think about it it makes sense for it to be

awkward for it to be removed otherwise they would be getting taken out all of the time.

as long as you take your time you can do it.

23 hours ago, eygo said:

have a look on youtube there are videos on there but the ones i have seen there is a bit

of taking apart to get to the wires ,but when you think about it it makes sense for it to be

awkward for it to be removed otherwise they would be getting taken out all of the time.

as long as you take your time you can do it.

Cheers Eygo

I shall investigate, i feel a bit nervous though not knowing where these wires connect to, ill try to follow the loom, otherwise ill remove the box and isolate the loom.

from what i have seen there are 2 types of black box 1 is for insurance companies

and the other type is for finance companies i have attached an image from a video

showing that 2 grey wires need to be joined together this black box is from a car

with finance on it so if you just disconnected the cables from the box the car still wouldn't start.

unfortuanately you dont know if this is the type you have until you start removing it.

black box.jpg

Cheers Guys

eygo my dear...that pic freaks me out...cut the wrong wire and BOOM!

Anyhoo...i completed the job this morning...unscrewed the self tapping screws holding the box to the pillar...undid the insulation tape...unclicked a little connector...and simply chopped straight into the wires and isolated with insulation tape and tucked it away...took the car on an hours drive and no issues...im glad.

I wonder if someone out there was tracking me since ownership lol.

So thats the end of that i guess.

glad its sorted Sam but i had to mention it once i found the video

18 hours ago, eygo said:

glad its sorted Sam but i had to mention it once i found the video

Cheers Eygo