Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis suspension rumble - what options do I have?

Duracell

Hi

I've had my 2014 Avensis for just over a month and I'm struggling with a rumble from the suspension at low speed on uneven roads.

Local Toyota main dealer investigated and said my particular model of car is prone to this sort of noise and it's a characteristic of the car. Also, upon visual inspection their mechanics could find nothing obvious.

If this is true about it being a characteristic of the car, what can I do to rectify? Can I upgrade certain suspension components, for example poly bushes and will this stop the noise? I really like the car apart from this issue. I came from a 12 year old Honda Accord with 130k miles on it and driving the same roads was whisper quiet.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

This is a personal opinion and subjective, but I've found that the Avensis to be manufactured to go long distances without any suspension work being needed, which necessitated certain comprises, such as to some extent ride quality. Many other vehicles have superior ride quality but none that I'm aware of will do hundreds of thousands of miles without major intervention. For example, soft rubber bushes will create a comfort ride and also dampen noise, but will wear quicker requiring replacement more often. I came from driving race tuned minis in my younger days so I have no problem with tolerating the ride of the Avensis, but I appreciate that you may be of a different opinion. Anyhow, to get a softer, quieter ride, you'd need to fit softer, not harder bushes, and I doubt you'll find such a beast. You may however be able to find softer dampers though I don't know of any, and they would affect the handling of the car in other ways possibly not too your liking. I'm interested why you didn't just buy another Honda? Ian

Hi Ian, thanks for your reply. I've always seen Honda and Toyota to be very similar in terms of quality. I've had 3 Honda's and 3 Toyota's amongst other manufacturers and of all the family cars I've owned I have never found any to have this rumble noise which wasn't a worn suspension component. Sounds very much like a worn bushes.

I must say I find your comment of why didn't I buy another Honda slightly surprising and unhelpful.

I want trying to be unhelpful, just asking a direct question as I'm interested. I direct a number of years in another country and I've found an allergy to directness and honesty sine I returned. Perhaps that's one reason why the country is such a mess.

Apologies, my last post was off topic.
It's not unheard of for a dealer to tell untruths, it might be worth getting another opinion. A low rumble from the front could indicate a transmission issue, whereas if heard when steering left or right points to a wheel bearing from the opposite side, ie right bearing when turning left.
I've also experienced a rumble from old tyres that sounded just like a wheel bearing issue, they become hardened as they age. Ian

My apologies - I have clearly misjudged the tone of your comment. 

Check if the rumble goes away when you press the brakes lightly. If so it’s your brake calliper slider pins. 

Slider pins is a good shout. I'll check that out. Thanks.

The rumble does go away when i brake. So is there a specific paste or thick grease to coat the slider pins in order to stop the rumble? I'm a lot happier now that i know the cause. Thanks again, much appreciated. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Duracell said:

The rumble does go away when i brake. So is there a specific paste or thick grease to coat the slider pins in order to stop the rumble? I'm a lot happier now that i know the cause. Thanks again, much appreciated. 

I've had this problem on an 05 plate, a 55 plate and a 12 plate Avensis over the past years.  Toyota 'repaired' the 12 plate car under warranty (at about 2.5 - 3 years old) but I reckon they merely half-heartedly greased them up since the rattle returned after a short while.

I didn't bother repairing the 05 plate car at the time, but while changing discs on the 55 plate car I found a cross-threaded pin so bought a new "kit".  I (stupidly?) assumed the kit would have enough for both calipers but it only has enough for one (2 pins and 2 bushes [the part the pin screws into]) and IIRC it's about £30.  I therefore greased the other side up with copper grease and it stayed quiet for the next 6 months or so until I sold it.  Perhaps it stayed quiet longer than the one Toyota "repaired" because I had fitted new pads therefore the slider pins were not extended so much?  Or perhaps not?

Beware according to Toyota there's lots of different part numbers for the kit, so buying a (cheaper) kit from eBay might be a gamble.

And it'll almost definitely be your fronts.

Here's a thread with some more info...

• Like 1

Hi David. I have the same rumble as you on uneven roads at slower speeds. I was a little concerned about this and asked for it to be looked at at my recent annual service. Like your dealer, mine couldn't find a problem and also said that it is a characteristic of the model. I have since got used to the noise and otherwise I'm very pleased with my car in every respect. 

I see that your car is, like mine, a tourer and of similar age.

I'd be very interested to know how you get on if you do decide to attend to the caliper slider pins issue.

Good luck

Edited by Mr Wolf
minor error

Hi Mr Wolf, thanks for your comments. I think i'll get it checked again at next service. At least i'll be able to be more specific this time - check calipers for any movement and check slider pins. I'll keep you posted - not convinced i can wait until next service mind you. Love the car apart from this. 

• 3 weeks later...

Car booked in a week today to a different Toyota dealership for a 2nd opinion. I'll report back afterwards. 

Update: Noise is fixed - rattling front brake caliper fixed by replacing caliper pins. All under warranty. You were spot on alan333 - thanks again.

Mr Wolf, get a second opinion from a different main dealer and tell them there is a technical bulletin regarding this issue. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great news David and many thanks. Fortunately I have an alternative main dealer to go to so will get in done asap. Sounds like it won't take long to fix.

Thanks also to Alan333 for suggesting the fix. 

This all goes to show why the forum can be so much benefit to members.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the feedback, glad to have been of help 🙂

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links