Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Removing rust on brake discs

core00

So, the car has been sitting around for quite a while as it's currently on SORN and the front brake discs are rusty. Is there another way to remove the rust without driving it as I won't be able to drive it as it is still on SORN, I wanna remove the rust before MOT as they might fail it because of it.

Thanks

I had exactly this problem recently, with a car that had been SORNed for 5 months.  I used a 4 1/2" angle grinder with what they call aluminium oxide fibre discs (and rubber/plastic backing disc).  Used a fairly coubik 60 grit disc on the front face of each brake disc.  Depending on how long the car's been standing, and how exposed to the weather, you might not get back to ultra shiny bright metal, but it gets rid of all the rust. I was unable to get the angle grinder on the rear of any of the discs, mainly because of the dust shields and suspension, and had to resort to doing the back faces of the front discs it by hand with coubik emery (60 or 80 grade).  The rear faces of the rear discs I just couldn't get at at all.

In my case, the car still had a few days of the old MoT to run, so was able to do 200 miles before the new MoT was due (it passed  -  :smile: )

Edited by Notoyboy
mis-spelling :( coubik = coubik!

Sorry, the above post should say coubik emery, but seems the word's not allowed.  Just trying again :sad:   Help!!!

Edited by Notoyboy

10 hours ago, Notoyboy said:

Sorry, the above post should say coubik emery, but seems the word's not allowed.  Just trying again :sad:   Help!!!

Does coubik mean course?  If you spell course like cee oh AE arr ess ee it'll think you're trying to type a rude word for bum with your last 4 letters.  I had the same problem trying to type the word used to describe a long black estate looking car in which one would take their final journey in life to a cemetary

:biggrin:   Thanks Alan. I did wonder if it was because of the end of the word causing the problem, and I should have deliberately mispelt the word, or done as you've spelt out, but it was late at night - :sad:

Not come across the problem before - I must have lead a sheltered life!

26 minutes ago, Notoyboy said:

:biggrin:   Thanks Alan. I did wonder if it was because of the end of the word causing the problem, and I should have deliberately mispelt the word, or done as you've spelt out, but it was late at night - :sad:

Not come across the problem before - I must have lead a sheltered life!

Yes of course you're right, the correct spelling is the one which gives you problems - I've edited my post accordingly.  BTW just be glad you don't need to type the town Scee you enn teehorpe in Lincolnshire :happy: which I'd assume also causes some problems.

I probably shouldn't mention the bicycle with a large front wheel and small back.

Hi. for a quicker way,  jack up the front wheels and select high gear and sit with the brakes on.

• Like 1

That'll only spin one wheel.

Do one side, then wedge the spinning wheel and the other will start rotating.

Yeah that'll work, I don't think the car in question will have a LSD.

Alan hi, I'm pretty sure both Manual & Auto boxes have a Diff, but not Limited Slip.for models around 2002.