Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rattling when starting up engine

driver10

Nope same but less of it. I park in underground car park. It happends when i start it. Possibly low temperature as it is cold.

If i put key in and let dash light up and then start the engine noise is reduced even further.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Hi, you may look for the rattle outside the engine. Very often rattle comes from loose heat protection plates that are all around the engine and along the exhaust system pipes. They are shiny thin metal plates you can’t miss them, they usually get loose around the fixing bolts and when cold because of the engine vibration producing rattling sound and when engine get to the temperature they expand due to the heat and stop rattle. Have a protective gloves , start the car from cold and open the bonnet, while rattling touch all the plates one buy one and if rattle goes here we go . May need to replace bolts or just use bigger washers to tight them up. 

Regards 

Some years ago I had a 'noise' on start up. If you revved the engine slightly I seem to recall it went. I found the cause by complete accident when I gave a front tyre a whack with my hand. It rattled, not the tyre but the bonnet. The cause was one of the rubber bump stops (those rubber cushions you see when lifting the bonnet) needing a fraction of turn to contact the bonnet. When cold the bonnet wasn't quite resting on the stop, when hot expansion must have allowed contact.  

I think its the issue with vvti engines. You can see it on youtube.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk