Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dash Camera

TotallyToto

Hi. Looking at getting a Dash Camera, There seems to be lots of different types available, Can you recommend one? Thanks..

If you don't want to spend too much, and have reasonable quality, Nextbase is first stop. I have 212 model which is Full HD, but not Wifi or GPS. It has quick removal and free editing software download. I also edit the video using Windows photo software, since the files are compatible. 

Look at this reviewed from Techmoan. He has review quite a few dashcams on his site -  

Look at his other Dashcam review videos.

I recently bought a Motorola from Argos. Paid £80 and now see it is on sale at £60. I've found it to be a good unit. A very clear picture (unsure about night time as I don't drive in the dark). Placing it up by the RV mirror it's lens is wide angle enough to cover beyond either side of my Aygo.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7236372?storeID=671&cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59158|acid:532-198-3455|cid:598927173|agid:24310844810|tid:pla-342347657648|crid:86886047210|nw:g|rnd:141940412576385882|dvc:c|adp:1o1|mt:|loc:9041122&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-4q_tOaN2wIVbjPTCh0bzgQqEAQYASABEgLSkvD_BwE

Blackvue cameras are pretty decent and have a slimline design and bracket which means they can be fitted and forgotten about unlike some which uses a big ugly satnav type suction bracket.

Hi Loz.

Yes there are many different types of dash cams, personally I have a Silent Witness make, model number SW010, the resolution is 100%, voice too and it's HD. 

If you just Google the make Silent Witness the different models should come up.

I really suggest you get one fitted 'hard wired' as it saves curly leads going to your cigarette lighter.

Don't forget all the cams I know are actually 5 volt so you need a hard wired fitting kit and if you are unsure how to fit it with no wires being seen take your car to Halfords or similar as they charge not a lot to fit them if they sold you the cam.

Mine is front facing only as because I have smoked glass in the back of my Rav 4, all done by Toyota cams have trouble seeing through the smoked out glass, the choice is yours.

Regards, Mike.

I have a Nextbase 412GW.  Working very well, just wish it was more compact as it follows "the standard" which is a rubber sucker with a arm drop then the unit (which is detachable on this Nextbase - very convenient). In my opinion, it drops too much such that I put i in the top corner of the windscreen.  

• Like 1

There are lots available so try to narrow it down by thinking what you need/want. Do you want front only or front & rear? Do you want a parking mode? What resolution?

By & large you get what you pay for (especially if you want local support) - better sensor, higher res., larger memory card suppport & more features. Even Aldi & Lidl often offer basic but acceptable dashcams.

As well as techmoan Autoexpress & HonestJohn also have reviewed dashcams & there are a no. of forums e.g. dashcamtalk.com that are worth checking up on for user experience of models that you are interested in.

I hav a hard-wired Thinkware F800 Pro 2 channel but only because I wanted a very good parking mode due to where I live having tight parking & experiences of people scraping but not owning up. It also has features that I don't need.

4 hours ago, Catlover said:

I have a Nextbase 412GW.  Working very well, just wish it was more compact as it follows "the standard" which is a rubber sucker with a arm drop then the unit (which is detachable on this Nextbase - very convenient). In my opinion, it drops too much such that I put i in the top corner of the windscreen.  

I have the same one. I've tried many cheaper dash cams and so far Nextbase are the best for me.

I've got a Garmin 65w dashcam which I think I bought for £200. Pricey but does do everything and more than I bargained for.
It's ever so small, not much bigger than a matchbox! and the quality of the footage at night time is impressive.

It's also got WiFi so you can just stream the videos to your mobile for playback which is very convenient if you actually need to show the footage to someone at the side of the road.
You can, of course, take the microSD card out easily and then view the footage on your computer too.

• Has a parking mode that starts recording if it detects impacts or movement around your car.

• Has forward collision detection. I've got mine set so it's only active at speeds over 30mph and on medium sensitivity seems to work well for me. It's monitoring if the gap in front of you is closing too quickly.

• Has lane guidance assistant (I turned this off but it monitors the lines on the road and gets stroppy if it thinks your drifting out of lane.)

• Notifies your of speed cameras and speed limits

• Can be controlled by voice

• Has GPS, Speed, overlayed in the video (both can be enabled or disabled if you wish)

• Has some feature called travelapse, where on long journeys it makes a montage of clips of notable things that happened

• Has a ridiculously wide angle lens, a true 180 degrees. Mounted by my rear view mirror I can see both A-pillars and my door mirrors through the side windows in the videos!

Can't really fault anything with it at all. I've been very impressed with it and the peace of mind of having a dash cam, it was worth every penny.