Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auto Problem

Goggy

I have an automatic, 2007 Toyota Rav 4 XTR with 99k on the clock ,that suffers from throttle/transmission lag of 1-2 seconds. I experience it most commonly when merging into traffic or stop/start traffic, at Less than 5mph.

when I depress the accelerator to speed up, there is an uncomfortably long delay before the transmission changes gears. The result is I am left hanging out in a lane with no power or speed. When the transmission or throttle finally kicks in, the car lurches violently forward. I have complained to my local Toyota dealers but have been told that they can't find a problem.

I have had the transmission oil changed but this has not helped. this is the second Rav I have had that has done this the last one was a 2005 4.2 XTR.

Please can anyone shed any light on this? does anyone else have this problem? 

Regards

Alan 

Hi Alan

When you stated that your Toyota dealer could not find a problem... did you mean that they can't replicate the fault or can't find a fix for it?  If you ask to take a test drive with the Toyota dealers vehicle tester, can you demonstrate the fault to him? (Sorry; or her :)

DaveH-UK

Edited by daveh_rav4
my sexist slip showing LOL

Hi Dave 

I have been out on several "Test drives" and could not replicate it but the minute I get home it starts again.

My old 2005 XTR did the same I have looked on Rav4world in the US and there is a similar problem on there.

I don't think it's the gearbox some has suggested the MAF sensor could do with cleaning.

It just so happens the warranty has just run out maybe they will find the fault now 

it seams odd that two different models have had the same problem 

Alan 

Hi Alan, my old 98 Rav does not have as many sensors as these laters Rav's... however; I have seen posts on here with regard to the MAF sensor and umpteen others, so worth a try.  I would have thought that the Toyota dealer’s magic code reader would throw up a number?  I have also seen a third party company advertising lately with regard to cleaning sensors etc... Ecoclean or some such!  My car has a throttle cable... but not sure on your 2007 XTR, but it might be worth checking the mechanical linkage and make sure nothing is sticking or hanging up.  However your throttle may be electronic? 

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of posts on here with regard to later Toyota's that have electronic/sensor problems interfering with the running of the engine. Apart from the head gasket and dual mass fly wheel problems some time ago, it mostly seems to be electronic problems... and unless the mechanic gets a code number thrown up, many dealers seem to be at a loss as to what to fix; they end up just changing stuff until they find something that it cures it (at some cost to the owner!)

DaveH-UK

Hi Alan, just had another thought... if after you have the MAF sensor cleaned and you still have the problem; as you have had two vehicles acting the same in close proximity to your home, and if it is an electronic/sensor problem... try and check if you have any high output RF sources close to where you live.  Anyone nearby using a high power radio transmitter... the harmonic RF produced can saturate the car electronics and cause them to miss-behave!  Broadcast station antenna masts, cell-phone masts, taxi company masts, even a local ham radio enthusiast can generate high power RF.  Also, electricity pylons or electricity sub-stations if they have faulty insulators or transformers!  This is only relevant if you 'only' get this happen in one place... but worth a thought;  we had this problem crop up once before I seem to remember.

Years ago... when fuel stations first started using DOS based PC electronics to calculate the amount of fuel being delivered by the pump; you could freeze the electronics with a high power RF amplifier and stop it counting while the pump motor still filled your tank :)  Highly dangerous of course, as RF can create a spark and send the whole site up in a fireball!  I think they have cured that loop-hole... so don't anyone try it!

DaveH-UK.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links