Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo 2018 MMT Noise

Daniel Sciberras

I just bought a brand new Toyota Aygo (2018) 1.0 VVT-i x-shift (MMT gearbox).

I can hear the gears shifting and clicking particularly when shifting from first gear to reverse (in stationary) and reverse to first gear (also in stationary) and also from 1st gear to 2nd and 2nd gear into 3rd.  I also hear them when down shifting from 3rd to 2nd and 1st.

Sometimes the clicks are louder or fainter than other times.

I don't notice them from 3rd to 4th or 4th to 5th (and downward from these levels) as road noise suppresses the clicking noise.

I am wondering if these clicks are normal as I find them annoying and irritable.

Thanks.

The clicking is quite normal to be honest. It shouldn’t be that loud and the radio should suppress any noise.

As it’s a brand new car I wouldn’t worry about it. How do you find the x-shift gearbox?

I've got a 2017 X shift Aygo and having owned two MMTs previously the sound of gears changing are quite normal. I can hear them but its not what I call excessive noise. First two gears are louder and punchy but the higher gears are smoother and I like how the Aygo goes down in gears automatically downhill so I don't need to use my brakes too much.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Cjohnston1982 said:

The clicking is quite normal to be honest. It shouldn’t be that loud and the radio should suppress any noise.

As it’s a brand new car I wouldn’t worry about it. How do you find the x-shift gearbox?

Thanks for the reassurance.  I like the car and it's nippy for a 1litre engine, guess that's thanks to the gearbox too.  Just don't like hearing the clicking sounds.

The x-shift is nippier than the manual becomes it has shorter gears. For a 1L it’s pretty fast even on the motorway it holds it own. Enjoy your new car 

Mt ex-partner bought a Mk1 Aygo in 2008 with the MMT and we sold it 4 years later with 38k on the clock.  Unlike later models it didn't have the paddles for shifting, but neither I nor my ex used the override much anyway (except in snow and ice to start of in 2nd).  With one exception, it never gave a moment's trouble, and was still working like new when er sold it.

The exception was just once as I went to move off from a cold start, it made a clunk sound and the cog and STOP warning lights came on.  After that, then engine wouldn't start.  However, after about 25 minutes it reset itself and it never happened again.  There were 17k miles on the clock at the time.  My guess was something caused the overheat alert to trigger, and the software entered a safety mode for a preset period.

I drove it quite a bit and really liked the transmission (manual fuel economy with automatic convenience).  I don't recall noticing any sound from the gear changes much, except a slight click when stationary (using the transmission to park it in gear on a slope, for example).

I found it surprisingly relaxing on a longer journey - on one occasion I drove it north for about five hours, and later same day back home again, and felt surprisingly relaxed.  Although not especially quiet, I found the lowish tone of the engine noise made it quite bearable (probably the lower frequency of the engine note was due to fewer bits and pieces flying about with only three cylinders?).

She then got a 2011 Yaris 1.33 with MMT (6-speed) which she still has (and loves).  It's now on 35k and has never put a cog wrong (touch wood).  Now that I never steal it, it does much less mileage with only her driving it!

• Like 2

Hi! Just a few remarks...

The Aygo is a light car, with a light sound insulation. Many normal mechanical sounds are audible. If you are used to driving bigger cars with better insulation, this can be striking or frightening. I have no radio so my car is very silent. In some cases (by night, in my underground parking...), I can clearly hear what is happening under the bonnet, when I press the brakes for instance.

The MMT is a basic gearbox. If you have ever driven more sophisticated automatic gearboxes (eCVT, dual-clutch DSG...), MMT can feel jerky.

On lowest gears, there is more torque, so gear changes are more shaky: 1st to 2nd for example. The higher the gear, the softer the gear change. It is same thing on the manual version, when I shift from 4th to 5th, it is extremely smooth, whereas it is not from 1st to 2nd.

• Like 1

Thank you @zuh and @PeteB for your input.  Much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

My 2014 x-clusiv has x-shift and it makes a click in the low gears, but it's never bothered me.

Some days the x-shift feels nice to drive and other days it's jerky and annoying I wish I had a normal auto!

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I have bought 2010 Aygo MMT it had 9600miles on the odo after driving 5k it stopped in N clutch was gone I replaced the new clutch after some time later again engine check warning light came back took back to garage they said actuator motor need to replaced done that now it has new clutch and actuator.now I hear a click sound from 1st to 2nd gear sound is sync with exhaust.some time it feels sound is coming from exhaust or sometime it feels sound is coming from gear box but only audible from 1st to 2nd didn't happen with third or fourth.one more thing this car is loud also road noise did any one done after insulation to reduce noises

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links