Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Peace and Quiet

paulie b

Hi,

I'm going to be going on holiday in a few weeks time to the good old British seaside. I know the route well and know it is always busy. The roads are mostly restricted to 50MPH, are twisting and generally unsuitable for passing. If you manage to overtake one on the endless slow moving tractors/HGVs/caravan combos/Sunday drivers, you immediately find yourself behind another.

To counteract this I have decided to drive there and home again either very early in the morning (0500) or in the evening (2000). It's about a two and a half hour run at normal cruising speed. I wondered what members experiences are of the roads at these times? It's a general A & B road route with a bit of motorway thrown in. I know we'll be generalising but if I can get some measure of the volume of traffic I can expect to encounter at theses times I will be able to make an informed choice as to when I set off/return. 

If I’ve got a long journey ahead of me and it doesn’t matter what time I get there, I’ll always set off earlier/later especially when it’s still light at 5am/8pm.

It can depend on what time you can check-in though...

My advise is to get there early and have some breakfast 🍳 

• Like 1

Yes, agree, leave nice and early. Farmers start the daily chore early, but still makes sense to start off very early. Better to be early for the seaside, then relax and have breakfast and have a look around, before you check in. Mornings are far better, even going to the seaside via Lincolnshires country roads!! Have a great holiday

What about using google maps with Traffic turned on?   Switch from 'Live Traffic' to 'Typical Traffic'  then select the day and time and you should be able to see where the potential delays could be.

• Like 1

I normally drive from Essex to the west coast of Wales once or twice a year. The difference the time of day makes to traffic is a huge difference.
Early morning / late night is definitely the way to travel if it's an option. Of course keep an extra lookout for deer, rabbits, and hedgehogs especially if you're on B roads

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies. I've decided it will be a 5am start. It's a 2 1/2 hour run so I'll arrive before the local rush hour. The same on the way back.

• 1 month later...

I did drive to and from my destination early doors (0420 there, 0300 back). It was a pleasure. This will be my normal routine from now on.

Also it was the first time I had taken the aygo on a long run. Absolutely no issues, it was a pleasure to be in all the way there and back. On the motorways section I was easily sitting at 70 and reaching  80/85 MPH in parts. The engine still felt like it had more to give. Overall I continue to be impressed by my little aygo. I had originally planned on moving to another car in a couple or so years, but I just like the way the aygo handles that I will be keeping it for quite some time.  

• Like 1

Hi Paul,

I think you meant to say that "IT FELT like 80/85 MPH in parts"....Cough, cough, nothing to see here, Officer! 😉

I know exactly what you mean about the little Aygo on a Motorway though, it just never stops giving, does it?

I hope you enjoyed your holiday and all the best. :smile:

5 hours ago, Agent Orange said:

I think you meant to say that "IT FELT like 80/85 MPH in parts"....Cough, cough, nothing to see here, Officer! 😉

i'm sure paul intended to say "IT FELT like 80/85 MPH in parts" due to the aygo being a small car

as you always feel like you going faster than you actually are 😉

So very pleased your journey was smooth, all within the legal limits ! Sure the weather was ideal for a UK holiday. Like you, I’m really pleased with my Aygo, so pleased thinking l will stick with it for a few years. Maybe see you and your car around the roads of dear Lincolnshire. Enjoy the sun, returning at the weekend! 

Of course, I was only joking about the 89/85MPH. I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say we would never break the speed limits!

Sandie. Lincolnshire is just made for the Aygo. All the twisty roads bring out the best of the handling characteristics.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links