Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Front suspension strut replacement

Steph Walker

Hi all, new here and already have a question🙋I have a 2005 Mk2 Rav4, 3 door and need to replace the front suspension struts. Going to replace everything, shocks and springs in complete units, but finding new Mk2 ones seems to be difficult and expensive, no-one seems to have them in stock! Later ones 2006 on, are a plenty. Question is will they fit my 2005 year model? Thanks💋

Hi,

Generally aftermarket places stock the parts separately, so you need to buy the shocks, springs, rubbers on their own, and you may want/need the top mount assembly as well if doing a complete job.

No idea if a 2006 one will fit your 2005.

000957.jpg

You won't find complete new struts for this vehicle but springs, shock absorbers and bump stops are plentiful on eBay so shouldn't be difficult to find at a motor factors. The camber setting will be lost when you fit new shock absorbers - it's adjusted by using an off centre bolt - Toyotas list a range and basically you select the suitable size to give the correct camber value. It's far easier to fit proprietary adjustable camber bolts when fitting new shock absorbers - Powerflex are decent ones for around £20 for two sides. You can then take the car along to a tyre outlet to have the tracking and camber checked and adjusted - far cheaper than scrubbing out a pair of tyres. 

Whilst you've got everything apart - check the top mounts and wishbone bushes / balljoint for wear.

Thank you guys, was hoping to find complete units, but looks like I'll have to do as you say and get them in bits and build them up from scratch. Thanks again for your help and advice. 💋