Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Steering lock

DeTomato

Is the steering lock electronic on the Corolla VVTL-i ? If I put the key in the ignition I would expect it to release the steering wheel from a solid steering lock, but I seem to have the situation where there is no lock that can be set when moving the steering from side to side with the key out of the ignition. Any ideas?

Hi,

As far as I know the 2002 - 2006 models are all the same, and  the steering wheel  lock seems to be purely mechanical.

Have not been able to find any info/ diagram of what the key lock actually operates/engages, but from your previous problems would suspect that some form of plunger that locks into a slot or similar bracket  on the steering column is stuck in the open position.

Looks like getting down to those bits is not an easy job, partic with the steering wheel air bag to contend with, if you need to remove it ?   though that is covered in the Haynes Workshop manual, a good buy for the price.

I suspect I'll need to get Toyota to look at it then. My car needs an airbag recall now anyway. Cheers.

Hi,

Think I would do a bit more searching as you might not need to remove the steering wheel to access where ever the lock is.

Though you are taking it in to  Toyota for the recall, doubt they will do anything else and fully charge you for the lock as if a standard job.

Think I would either buy one of the steering wheel clamps/locks which offer even better protection, if you buy the right one, or as I have been thinking of , putting a hidden switch in one of the  wires,  so it stops the engine running.

Though our cars of little value, they can be more prone to the joy riders.

• Like 1

Good points. I used to have a kill switch in the ignition of my old XR4 Sierra (goes back a bit lol). I'll have a look at it this weekend and see if I can work out what going on.

Hi,

Did look around earlier and there seems little data on the lock, but the info below suggest its solenoid operated, though unable to find any diagram to show wiring , fuse or relay, if used ?

It may just be a faulty part of the switch, which I know from my old Avensis do fail, though that was the part that actives the starter relays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1ZcecvdOD8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFsQhk-QQS8

000961.jpg.4bd2e2439ea55ff11310577a2ba3f1b7.jpg

000963.jpg

• Like 1

Looking at OC's diagram above, if you find you need to remove the "tapered-head bolts", then assuming they've been fitted correctly, you'll have to drill out the part of the head remaining, as the hexagon part of the bolt head is designed to shear off, to stop unscrupulous persons from dismantling the steering lock and making off with your vehicle.

• Like 1

ok, so as the steering and brakes are super important, I'm going to let someone else look at this who knows what they're doing. I know when I'm going to be beaten and your info above guys has convinced me to leave it alone for an expert to fix it :biggrin: I'm not wanting an airbag going off in my face when it needs an airbag recall anyway :blink: 

Thanks all.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links