Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which oil to use in Toyota Yaris 1.4 2004 D4D

Bobby_2018

Hello I have a question which engine oil would u recommend for a Toyota Yaris 1.4 D4D 1ND-TV engine, 5w30 or 5w40. The engine has 131,000. I looked in the service history and 5w40 was last used. Would their be any special grade to buy like Acea C2 or C3. Thanks 

• 3 weeks later...

I would also like to know the same thing. I have a d4d with 89k miles on it and it was last serviced in march 2018 with 10w40 semi synthetic oil.

For diesel engines without a DPF/DPNR 5W-30, and for those with a DPF/DPNR either 0W-30 or 5W-30 meeting C2 low ash. No stipulation as to semi or fully synthetic. API SL, SM or higher.  See 

35 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

For diesel engines without a DPF/DPNR 5W-30, and for those with a DPF/DPNR either 0W-30 or 5W-30 meeting C2 low ash. No stipulation as to semi or fully synthetic. API SL, SM or higher.  See 

Hello thanks for that - it seems from that link that 5w30 is recommended for my model (diesel/pre-dpf). Mine is a Japan built 2005 mk1 model without a dpf. The reason I ask is that i have been getting mixed advice as to whether to use 5w30 or 10w40 in it when i service it next. some people advise 10w40 for this model if the mileage is over 80k? Would like a definitive answer on this considering my milage is 89k (over 80k) from someone with first hand experience who has already ran this model to high mileages i.e. over 150k. Its been serviced regularly - 6 stamps from Toyota until 59k but not sure which oil they used, and 2 stamps from an independent garage where  10w40 fully synthetic was used. I intend to fully drain it when servicing obviously and using fully synthetic when i service it and use an original Toyota oil filter and sump washer which i have already purchased.

Obviously I would like to maximise the longevity and feel efficiency whilst also providing maximum protection for the engine and I don't mind spending extra for fully synthetic oil the question is 10w40 or 5w30 and which brand to buy? I know the car requires 4.2 litres of oil and have been quoted £34 for Castrol Magnetec 5w30 fully synthetic from euro car parts but still not sure if its the right choice.

Those are the Toyota recommendations - which, as they are the manufacturer, is the definitive answer.

Third party advice, whether on using a different grade above a certain mileage, semi or fully synthetic or brand, boils down to personal opinions.

I have been using 5w30 PFE C2 low ash as per frosty’s message with no issues, car has 170k miles and is showing no signs of wear or any other problems so far.

2 hours ago, mecheng46 said:

I have been using 5w30 PFE C2 low ash as per frosty’s message with no issues, car has 170k miles and is showing no signs of wear or any other problems so far.

Ok which brand don you buy and is this stuff fully synthetic?  How much am I looking to pay for 5 litres?

was thinking about buying Castrol magnatec start stop 5w30 fully synthetic. Would this meet these specs?