Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jump start to and from a Prius 2006 Hybrid

chana100red

Hi All,

I recently acquired a Toyota Prius 2006 model and confused about the mix information about jump start from a prius.

Does anyone know what the rules are when it comes to providing a jump start or vice verse?

Please advise...

Your are talking about the 12v Battery (not big Hybrid battery) causing problems?  Perhaps been standing more then just a few days and 12v gone flat?  Happened to me on the wifes 2010 Auris Hybrid (read Prius Gen 3 system) and I got my breakdown company, Start Rescue, out to jump it.  They will do this once, but if same fault reoccurs they may charge (on the basis you should have taken action after the first time-seems reasonable). So I was jittery it may happen again, so I searched this forum, read that the 12v system does not need to be anything "special", just enough to light up the dashboard and get the READY light illuminated.  Someone suggested a small lithium Battery charger so I got one off Amazon for about £30 and it works absolutely fine, and is a torch and phone charger as well. I used it when my Prius 12v drained (transferring CD's to the hard drive system on my Prius 2010 entertainment system).  Connect either across the 12v Battery itself or the points under the bonnet, and by the time I taken few steps to the car driver seat and pressed the brake pedal-power button that was enough to light up the main battery.  Link below, gone up couple pound since I purchased 6 months ago.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Suaoki-Starter-Booster-Intelligent-Flashlight/dp/B071JNQM3B/ref=sr_1_8?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1527235453&sr=1-8&keywords=suaoki

Moved to the Prius club

2 hours ago, Catlover said:

Your are talking about the 12v battery (not big Hybrid battery) causing problems?  Perhaps been standing more then just a few days and 12v gone flat?  Happened to me on the wifes 2010 Auris Hybrid (read Prius Gen 3 system) and I got my breakdown company, Start Rescue, out to jump it.  They will do this once, but if same fault reoccurs they may charge (on the basis you should have taken action after the first time-seems reasonable). So I was jittery it may happen again, so I searched this forum, read that the 12v system does not need to be anything "special", just enough to light up the dashboard and get the READY light illuminated.  Someone suggested a small lithium battery charger so I got one off Amazon for about £30 and it works absolutely fine, and is a torch and phone charger as well. I used it when my Prius 12v drained (transferring CD's to the hard drive system on my Prius 2010 entertainment system).  Connect either across the 12v battery itself or the points under the bonnet, and by the time I taken few steps to the car driver seat and pressed the brake pedal-power button that was enough to light up the main battery.  Link below, gone up couple pound since I purchased 6 months ago.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Suaoki-Starter-Booster-Intelligent-Flashlight/dp/B071JNQM3B/ref=sr_1_8?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1527235453&sr=1-8&keywords=suaoki

Thanks Catlover.  As far as I am aware the auxiliary 12v Battery in the boot seems ok.  I was thinking about changing it under the warranty.  As my car is 2006 but has completed 50,800 miles I dont know if it is under toyota manufacturer warranty.

I certainly want to take advantage if the 12v Battery can be changed for free?  As the car is 12 years old... 

At 12 years old it won't be under manufacturer's warranty.

Prior to July 2010, the Toyota new car warranty was 3 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurred first. On a 2006 hybrid, the hybrid components and hybrid Battery warranty (not the 12 volt battery), would have been 8 years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurred first. So at 12 years old a hybrid will be well outside any manufacturer warranty.

53 minutes ago, chana100red said:

Thanks Catlover.  As far as I am aware the auxiliary 12v battery in the boot seems ok.  I was thinking about changing it under the warranty.  As my car is 2006 but has completed 50,800 miles I dont know if it is under toyota manufacturer warranty.

I certainly want to take advantage if the 12v battery can be changed for free?  As the car is 12 years old... 

There are many things I would like to change for free under a warranty that are working ok - then I pinch myself and wake up. 🙄

Never jump start another car from the Prius, you'll ruin your 12v Battery. The Battery is only a small capacity and not intended for cranking an engine over, the hybrid Battery starts your engine in the Prius.

Thank you for the reply and advice as I didnt know for sure if it was allowed.

On 5/25/2018 at 3:48 PM, kithmo said:

Never jump start another car from the Prius, you'll ruin your 12v battery. The battery is only a small capacity and not intended for cranking an engine over, the hybrid battery starts your engine in the Prius.

Not quite true... Its actually ok to jump start another Prius from ones own prius Battery. Just never try to jumpstart  a conventional vehicle from a prius. With the prius, all you are really jump starting is the computer. The computer then enables the engine to be started off the traction Battery. The 12 volt Battery doesnt actually start the prius engine and is therefore not sufficient to do this for any other engine

• Like 1

thank you for the information and will always remember not to offer jump start to anyone except a Prius vehicle.  That is good to know as I would have without thinking offered a jump start to any vehicle.

The more I learn about hybrid technology the better understanding I will have in knowing what is right or wrong.

thanks

19 hours ago, wass said:

Not quite true... Its actually ok to jump start another Prius from ones own prius battery. Just never try to jumpstart  a conventional vehicle from a prius. With the prius, all you are really jump starting is the computer. The computer then enables the engine to be started off the traction battery. The 12 volt battery doesnt actually start the prius engine and is therefore not sufficient to do this for any other engine

Basically that's what I said, which part isn't true ??  Another Prius wouldn't have the engine cranking as I said the other car would in my post. :confused1:

3 hours ago, kithmo said:

Basically that's what I said, which part isn't true ??  Another Prius wouldn't have the engine cranking as I said the other car would in my post. :confused1:

The bit which wasnt true was" never jump start another car". However, it is possible to jump start another prius or prius derivative such as Lexus CT200, Yaris hybrid, Auris hybrid. So basically that isn't what you said. Try not to be so touchy, my comment was meant to give a more clear  and accurate picture to the original poster rather than to contradict, confuse you or to be your antagonist.

Hi,

I think you mean that it is OK to jump start another Prius?  I understood that.  That is what I stated in reply to your comment.  I also understood that you cannot jump start a conventional car.

thanks

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wass said:

The bit which wasnt true was" never jump start another car". However, it is possible to jump start another prius or prius derivative such as Lexus CT200, Yaris hybrid, Auris hybrid. So basically that isn't what you said. Try not to be so touchy, my comment was meant to give a more clear  and accurate picture to the original poster rather than to contradict, confuse you or to be your antagonist.

I could say to you, try not to be so pedantic. The fact that I mentioned cranking the engine precluded the Prius as "another" car to anyone else.

Thanks for clearing that up with me and now I know more about jump starting than I did before.  At least I am fully prepared in the future!

I hope I was not trying to be defensive or anything as I try to avoid confrontation!

I blame these little confrontations on the hot weather.   Its much too hot!