Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Revs dropping

Sander87

Hi there,

Since I've bought my Toyota Avensis (back in 2014, model T34, 2001) the same problem has occured multiple times.

When I start the engine, everything is fine. Revs are good, engine sounds and feels good, delivers all the power that I want (2.0 liter, +/- 150 bhp)... And then I start driving...

It usually all goes wrong when I apply the brakes and/or have to steer.

The revs drop way down (like down to 300, even when my foot is firmly planted on the clutch way before I actually would have to do so) OR the engine just stalls out (that happened like 2 times).

It usually ends in some Motor Management Error, which can be easily cleared by one of those small devices which you have to connect with a cable OR disconnecting the Battery for 30-60 minutes).

Went to my local Toyota dealer with this problem, and without even looking at my car they decided it was the CPU/ECU, and it was gonna cost like 1200-1500 (on a 17 year old car, yeah right).

Problem is; there were periods when it all worked fine (like 3 months straight), and then it just happens at a traffic light 5 seconds after braking/coming to a complete stop.

But now something seems to be off; disconnecting the Battery works, but the errors/stalling out come back WAY faster and I don't know where to look anymore.

The only suggestion that was made, which I haven't checked yet, is that the power steering pump may be malfunctioning/broken. But I can't make the connection betweeen that and braking (which usually causes the problem) in a straight line (so not steering at that moment).

Maybe somebody here has an answer/solution/suggestion on where to look and how to fix it; because I really do like driving my Toyota, A LOT! So it kinda sucks it's been sitting still for 4-5 weeks now already.

Thanks in advance!

Sander

Is the car petrol, I would check the basics such as pcv valve. Does the car have a sports air filter?