Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Shush.....Can't Hear The Engine!

Mr Wolf

My son and his wife joined us on holiday near York and we used my car to go on a visit to Sutton Bank. During the journey we stopped at traffic lights and my son commented that he didn't realise I had the stop/start system in my car. When I told him I didn't he was astonished as he couldn't hear the engine ticking over! It just goes to show how quiet the valvematic engine can be. My son who drives a BMW diesel could not have been more impressed.

Are there other cars out there that are equally quiet, or even quieter?

My Estima import is just the same...though it is a big lazy V6 3 litre lump...lol

Much of the time the only thing you can hear is tyre noise....on certain surfaces it almost sounds as though it's on electric power.!!

My old Mk1 Avensis '98 leanburn was like that. My current Valvematic is not either. I have tried to start both cars when they were already idling!
They both idle at about 600 rpm, when there is no load. 

22 hours ago, Mr Wolf said:

My son who drives a BMW diesel could not have been more impressed

I can well understand that I now have the 2.0 BMW powered Avensis it is without doubt the roughest engine I have ever had in a Toyota.

The Avensis has had its soundproofing uprated over the years which has helped make engine noise level at tickover barely perceptible. (At least that is the case with my petrol version). It's also quiet in normal use but decibels increase under loading. 

This is my fifth Avensis first one 2.0 petrol, super quiet, then a 2.0 diesel, not as quiet, then two 2.2 diesels, a more refined engine than the 2.0, but this 2.0 BMW powered one the engine is harsh and very vibratory and may well be my last Toyota after having nothing else since 1976.

well, there won't be any more diesel Toyota cars for your next one. Still waiting to see what is going to replace the Avensis ...