Do Not Sell My Personal Information

News about New Corolla HSD 2018/19 release in Europe ?

HSDish

• 3 weeks later...

Heard that the new Corolla TS is delayed and wont reach european market until may 2019.

Looong wait !!!   (considering to buy an used Prius gen4 while waiting 😊 )

Show at Paris 2 oct. though 

In general. Li-ion has around twice the energy density of NIMH. Also, you can discharge and charge 'deeper' and 'harder' (IIRC). With my Yaris Hybrid as an example (the Auris has a bigger battery) it has almost a 1kWh NIMH Battery that is only allowed to use about 20% of the Battery (for longevity) - 40% charge seems to be 2 bars on the display and 60%, 8 bars. So it seems that Toyota want to always leave around 400Wh for long term storage, and then starting, situations. Note that in a full EV, 5 miles per kWh is easily had at 30 mph, so 200Wh that we have will give 1 mile, which it does.

With a 2kWh Li-ion Battery you can go down to 20% and (probably) up to 80% which could give you 6 miles in EV mode. Here's hoping! My money is waiting for a Yaris PHEV with a 2kWh Li-ion battery (it should fit under the rear seat still), heated steering wheel and pre-conditioning - I would sacrifice the spare wheel well for the plugin electrics and 4WD 🙂 - a GRMC (GR Masters of the City.

• 2 weeks later...

I really fancy the EV range of the Prius Plugin, however, it's just not near as practical as the Corolla / Auris TS. The EV range of the Prius fits my current driving style like a glove, though.

But with the PHEV, you have to pay the qequvalent of a tank of fuel every month to be able to use the Plugin chargers around the country. In other words, going with the Corolla would get me a "free" tank of petrol every month and wastly improved praticality. 

4 hours ago, Nicolai said:

I really fancy the EV range of the Prius Plugin, however, it's just not near as practical as the Corolla / Auris TS. The EV range of the Prius fits my current driving style like a glove, though.

But with the PHEV, you have to pay the qequvalent of a tank of fuel every month to be able to use the Plugin chargers around the country. In other words, going with the Corolla would get me a "free" tank of petrol every month and wastly improved praticality. 

News regarding fuel consumption :1.8 122 bhp is 3.4L/100 km. 2.0 280 Bhp is 3.8. I wonder if the 1.8 is new? As far as I know, my 1.8 is 136 bhp total. 

Which would you go for? Wonder if these numbers are closer to real life use than those of the current model? 

I believe that it is meant to be an improved version of the existing engine.  On Toyota.co.uk  the Prius 4 & C-HR hybrid power output is listed as 122bhp but for the the Auris hybrid is listed as 136bhp 🤔

if they are WLTP they should be closer than NEDC but probably still not quite real life for most people.

8 hours ago, Nicolai said:

PHEV cars are not designed to be charged en-route. In fact full EV drivers get very annoyed by such use - ecotricity deliberately changed the charging rates to get cars like the Mitsubishi Outlander off their DC chargers. PHEVs are designed for home charging with the majority of trips within the Battery range, but without any range anxiety for those longer trips. You also get car preconditioning and very cheap fuel costs if within Battery range. I want a Yaris PHEV as my next car - that or a BMW i3 …..

Sorry: That's suposed to say 180 BHP for the 2.0 - not 280.

Yeah, I realize the the logical thing is just to charge the Plugin at homen and use petrol for journeys longer than the 30 or so EV range. Still, the car is more expensive and not as practical as the Auris / Corolla TS. The tailgate / hatchback of the Prius Plugin makes the boot quite shallow.

I didn't realize the current prius is 122 BHP. Perhaps it would then be prudent to asume that the performance is equal to that of the 136 BHP 1.8 in the Auris? Honestly, the power of the 136 is more than enough for me and I'd prefer the improved MPG over the extra BHP of the 2.0.

Disappointing that they are showing it still with Touch 2. 😢

Hopefully that might yet change before launch. 🙏

Exploiting the stability and handling benefits of the TNGA platform, it offers an energised drive with more power, a Sport drive mode and six-speed Sequential Shiftmatic transmission that can be operated using paddle shifters on the steering wheel.

YIEKES!

There goes the reliability of the E-CVT. 🤯 Or what do you think? Sounds like a DSG-like / MMT like transmission???

The maximum speed when driving in all-electric mode has been increased to more than 70mph (edit: for the 2.0)

So the 2.0 will have a lot more EV capabilities compared to the 1.8? The 1.8 (also?) comes with a lithion Battery but no mention of improved EV with that powertrain.

I wonder if the lithion will have less longevity compared to the current NMH Battery?

Based on what we know so far, would you opt for the 1.8 or 2.0?

2 hours ago, Nicolai said:

YIEKES!

There goes the reliability of the E-CVT. 🤯 Or what do you think? Sounds like a DSG-like / MMT like transmission???

I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same thing just with 6 pre-programmed settings to simulate 6 gears if you wish to do things manually

21 minutes ago, Nicolai said:

So the 2.0 will have a lot more EV capabilities compared to the 1.8?

.Hadn't they already improved the maximum EV speed on either the Prius 4 or Prius 4 PHEV?

26 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same thing just with 6 pre-programmed settings to simulate 6 gears if you wish to do things manually

.Hadn't they already improved the maximum EV speed on either the Prius 4 or Prius 4 PHEV?

Don't know about the regular Prius but the PHV has the same max speed on EV as the future 2.0 Corolla.

Well, here's hoping the gearbox well actually be an E-CVT with programmed gears. But "sequential" makes me think of "semi auto operated clutch", which is nowhere near as good as the current E-CVT.

Skærmbillede 2018-10-27 kl. 12.57.33.png

Edited by Nicolai
Added screenshot

I take a lot of what is posted on the blog.toyota.couk with a pinch of salt - the answers are usually given by people who are obviously marketing/media rather than product or are retelling what they have been told & we all know about Chinese whispers ... Quite often they seem to misunderstand the questions too (or at least their interpretation is different from mine).

I’ve read that the owerall height is lower on the new Corolla TS than the current Auris TS model.

We need space for 180 cm persons in the back seat (our 2014 Auris TS precisely fullfill that) so I really hope the lowering of the new Corolla does not affect hight/space for backseat passengers.

As I can understand the reporter in this clip is about 182cm tall  but cause he’s bending forwards all the time it’s hard to get an realistic idea of the hight in the backseat.

Anyone who knows more about this issue ?

New Corolla - driving dynamics

https://blog.toyota.co.uk/explore-the-new-2019-toyota-corolla-driving-dynamics

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 11:37 AM, HSDish said:

I’ve read that the owerall height is lower on the new Corolla TS than the current Auris TS model.

We need space for 180 cm persons in the back seat (our 2014 Auris TS precisely fullfill that) so I really hope the lowering of the new Corolla does not affect hight/space for backseat passengers.

As I can understand the reporter in this clip is about 182cm tall  but cause he’s bending forwards all the time it’s hard to get an realistic idea of the hight in the backseat.

Anyone who knows more about this issue ?

I'm 187 cm and it was unconfortable in the backseat, you can sit straight but your head touches the roof. The solution is to order the car without sunroof, without it, you have 4-5 cm more room.

• Thanks 1

On 11/2/2018 at 10:49 AM, Kleberson said:

I'm 187 cm and it was unconfortable in the backseat, you can sit straight but your head touches the roof. The solution is to order the car without sunroof, without it, you have 4-5 cm more room.

Thank You for Your contribution.

Did You visit Paris Motor Show ? or where did You see the new Corolla TS IRL (exiting :-) )

I've heard that the new Corolla will be avaliable to private European costumers in May 2019.

Anyone here who's heard anything else?

I have got the first training to sell the car.

Toyota has not made the decision about when the car is officially released for advance sale, that depends on many things where the biggest is the fact that there are thousands of Auris cars left to sell.

We will find out everything in january when the prices are made available.

• Thanks 1