Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Oil change and warranty

Kled

My 2017 Auris is now with 3700 miles which makes me think how many mile I got left before the first oil and filters change?

Also as I want to keep my Toyota warranty I'm assuming I cannot carry the service myself. So has anyone done this service with a Toyota dealer and know how much they charge for an oil change?

Can it be done in any other garage?

Thanks

Your profile says you have a 2018 Auris, whereas your post says 2017 - which is it?

Toyota service intervals are every 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Services are alternately Intermediate and Full - see descriptions and prices: https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/service-mot-maintenance/servicing

To retain the warranty, servicing has to be done by a VAT-registered garage. If outside the Toyota dealer network, the onus will be on you to provide proof that the car has been serviced in accordance with Toyota's requirements and equivalent standard parts used, otherwise if a service related warranty claim is made, that may be refused if there is insufficient proof of adequate servicing.

DIY servicing won't satisfy the new car warranty. 

If your car is a 2017 model, and one year old, then an Intermediate service is due.

• Like 1

Thanks Frostyballs.

My car was purchased as new in 2018 but it is a 17 plate hence my confusion.

So it is a 2017 model, and servicing should be from date of first registration. So for example, if it was first registered in May 2017, the first service is due now as it would be 12 months old.

It was registered in February 18 so it will probably be around November/December when I reach the 10.000 miles.

17 plates ran from March 2017 to August 2017 inclusive. If the car was first registered in February 2018, it would be a 67 plate!

You are right again, just checked it and it is a 67 plate🙄.

Regarding the list of services on the link you provided it mentions refill engine oil. Does it mean that they only top up the oil level?

No it is an oil and filter change.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Sorry for bothering an old thread. Can you send me a link with explicit statement that for warranty purposes, we have to do the maintenance in VAT REGISTERED mechanics?  From the europe Toyota, it only show keep receipt/records

https://www.toyota-europe.com/service-and-accessories/warranty-and-assistance/warranty

Any serious garage would need to be VAT registered. Otherwise it would mean that they do so little work that they are not even obliged to pay taxes, more like a hobby mechanic.

It isn't specifically the Toyota warranty that requires this - it is the Block Exemption regulations, which allow owners to use an independent garage to carry out servicing and maintain the manufacturer warranty. This only applies to the new car warranty - extended warranties are not covered by Block Exemption. Under Block Exemption, garages used for servicing whilst the car is within the new car warranty, have to be VAT registered.

Thanks for the clarification. I do not see the explicit statements about the requirements of VAT registered mechanics.  What I understand, we are allowed to do our own maintenance outside dealership, get access parts and service manual from dealership, and use standardise aftermarket parts (Castrol 0w20, etc.). 

Manufacturer cannot deny standard 3/5 years warranty, not extended warranty if we do  DIY or independence mechanics service.  They must show explicitly that any damage is caused by owner.  So, if we change the sparkplugs, Toyota cannot deny the inverter, HV Battery, or brake issues. They also cannot deny from engine oil consumption problems that is related to bad cylinder rings but can deny if the spark plugs melts and defective. 

11 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

It isn't specifically the Toyota warranty that requires this - it is the Block Exemption regulations, which allow owners to use an independent garage to carry out servicing and maintain the manufacturer warranty. This only applies to the new car warranty - extended warranties are not covered by Block Exemption. Under Block Exemption, garages used for servicing whilst the car is within the new car warranty, have to be VAT registered.

I do wish this forum showed which country those outside the UK live.          
I have a feeling, John, you do not live in the UK, and some of the points you making may be specific to your country and possibly not applicable to the UK, thereby potentially causing confusion to UK members of the forum.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AisinW said:

Manufacturer cannot deny standard 3/5 years warranty, not extended warranty if we do  DIY or independence mechanics service.  They must show explicitly that any damage is caused by owner.

AisinW is in Germany according to the IP address. The above quote is factually incorrect and misleading for the majority of Club members who are in the UK. Don't assume that servicing and warranty requirements are the same in each country.

• Like 1

Also, it appears quiet clearly some who are described as “Other/non-UK” do reside in the UK. Confusing.

1 minute ago, Catlover said:

Also, it appears quiet clearly some who are described as “Other/non-UK” do reside in the UK. Confusing.

Whether or not members identify that they are in the UK or elsewhere is down to them.

Sorry guys, Yes,  I am in Germany and so far we have some differences on how the warranty works.  Years ago UK has 5 years, Germany only 3 years warranty, 5 years (hybrid components).  I try not to confuse the forum by mixing some stuff that may be different.  I only check it base on Toyota Europe website such as https://www.toyota-tech.eu/MS/SevereDrivingConditions.pdf   .    Base on the Block Exemption Regulation Law, it works that way. Toyota cannot deny brake failure from DIY oil change.  They must show what we did cause the issues.  

We can get access to Full Dealer Service manual from https://www.toyota-tech.eu  to do any repair, Dealership must allow us to buy the original spare parts too. I believe it is also available in UK, just like in EU. 

https://www.toyota-tech.eu/Onlinesubscriptions.aspx?redirectUrl=L2V1cm81c2VhcmNoL25tc2NldXJvNXNlYXJjaC5hc3B4P1BVQlRZUEU9Tk1TQ19CVUxMRVRJTg%3d%3d 

Yeah, I think it will be better if all members shows exact location like in this case Germany, in Yaris we have Italy in Camry and rav4 often from USA. 👍

Under Block Exemption, only servicing by either the Toyota dealer network or an independent VAT registered garage will maintain the new car warranty. This is the same across all manufacturers.

DIY servicing doesn't maintain the new car warranty. 

Also, in the UK, with Toyota moving across to digital service records, if the owner uses an independent garage for servicing, the garage won't be able to access the digital service records, so the onus is on owners to keep records of what work has been done, parts used, etc in order to have proof that correct servicing has been undertaken, and equivalent standard parts have been used.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Catlover said:

Yes, it's a good lesson about not believing everything you read on the Internet as being true :wink:

As for the manufacturer warranty, there are two parts to this:

1) The car HAS to be serviced within the specified intervals by a recognised garage or professional or the warranty will become void - That's just how it is.

2) If you do something to the car that would void the warranty for that part, e.g. change the seats, fit custom shocks, exhaust etc., and something else fails that has nothing to do with that part (e.g. the brakes suddenly stop working or the hybrid system fails), the warranty still applies to that part, and it is on Toyota to prove that whatever you did caused that failure; If they cannot, they have to honour the warranty.

Note that this does not apply for extended/third-party warranties - They are not regimented (or whatever the word I can't think of right now is!) by law in the same way the factory/manufacturer warranty is, and can have their own stipulations, so reading the terms is really quite important!

It gets complicated if you want to service the car yourself during the warranty period - The problem is there is no easy way you can prove that it has been done; For all they know you could just have not serviced the car but say you did. With a VAT registered garage, there is an officially recognised paper trail, and that's why it's stipulated as part of the terms for honouring the warranty.

Thanks for the clarification.  I came from the USA. If you don't mind I shared my background, you can skip this paragraph if you are not interested. We have Magnuson-Moss Warranty act that even DIY with correct OEM/Dealer part and proper Oil 0w-20 with  ILSAC-5 API approval, Toyota  cannot deny any warranty from DIY owners.  We only need to keep the receipt. Any denials from dealership for any warranty claim must show explicitly that the damage is caused by the DIY works.   Fortunately, NHTSA really protect car buyers. Chrysler was famous denying warranty and often they lost in the court.  Nissan, Honda, KIA/Hyundai, Toyota almost never deny any warranty from DIYer.  My 2002 Nissan Altima head gasket leaks at 65k miles, right outside 5y/60k miles warranty period.  Get the head gasket fixed and at 73k miles the catalytic converter failed, P0420.  My mechanics check the reading and told me to go to dealership for free under Federal emission law 8y/80k miles for ECU + emission controls (EGR,Cat,Evap, etc).  I had to pay $96 diagnostic fee deposit in case my own diagnostic was wrong, it was refunded and I got a new Catalytic converter.  

Back to Europe, the Relax warranty does not cover catalytic converter, struts, and any rubber suspension parts including rear stabilizer links on RAV4, CT, Auris, etc.  I feel, Toyota Europe exploits us more here.  Typically I have to pay €330 for just oil change and €500 every other year.  Most independent oil change station like Pitstops offer 0w-20 Castrol Edge with mann Filter for €98.   Surprisingly, the annual inspection/maintenance was €100 less before Relax Warranty was introduced.  Do you also have the same feeling in UK? 

I agree and apologize if I misinformed about the validity of DIY maintenance for a new car 3 years warranty.   However, it was not explicitly said that DIY is not qualified on the Block Extension Law.  There is a window to fight case in court if manufacturer cannot show any unrelated defect with DIY maintenance.  For instance, you change the engine oil, suddenly the brake fails or transmission break down. That's not a  logical reasons  to deny brake warranty and I believe the ancient law of justice cannot approve it. 

6 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Yeah, I think it will be better if all members shows exact location like in this case Germany, in Yaris we have Italy in Camry and rav4 often from USA. 👍

Unfortunately there is no option to put the country on the profile. 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, AisinW said:

Back to Europe, the Relax warranty does not cover catalytic converter, struts, and any rubber suspension parts including rear stabilizer links on RAV4, CT, Auris, etc.  I feel, Toyota Europe exploits us more here.  Typically I have to pay €330 for just oil change and €500 every other year.  Most independent oil change station like Pitstops offer 0w-20 Castrol Edge with Mann Filter for €98.   Surprisingly, the annual inspection/maintenance was €100 less before Relax Warranty was introduced.  Do you also have the same feeling in UK? 

At least in the UK Toyota has the reputation of being the best of the mass manufacturers at standing behind it's warranty - far better than e.g. BMW, Mercedes etc.

The parts that you list would all be classed as consumables as they are expected to fail/be replaced during the life of the vehicle. However, there would be a consideration of when they failed & whether that would be deemed reasonable life or not & therefore a goodwill contribution. As Toyota users we don't really do separate oil/filter changes due to the 10k miles/annual service requirement but e.g. Intermediate/Full services on an Avensis/Corolla/RAV here are considerably less than the prices that you quoted.

& no, I don't feel that service prices went up €100 after Relax (but the discount for 5+ year old cars was removed).

• Like 1

Good to know. One of the reasons Toyota has better service in UK because some are built there like Corolla/Auris.  The hybrid Battery is also 15 years warranty in UK/Ireland. The rest of Europe only 10 years.  Probably because UK/Ireland weather with cloud and rain in 10 months.  But for the Relax warranty, they are almost identical.  The main difference is the annual maintenance cost rate.  

I realize the price increases because I can see from the old bill. It had always been €220 and €380 and now €330 and €480. 

Relax warranty cover Brake disc/drum, Clutches in Automatic, water pump, alternator, starter, coils.  Those parts are wearable parts although it takes about 150-200k miles to go bad.  I am not sure if MMT transmission clutch is covered, those often wear out well below 100k km. MMT is almost like DSG, manual transmission with robot and always problematic.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links