Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 avensis handbrake inoperable warning.

simers1983

My wife this morning can't get the car to start. She says it making a odd noise mid way down the car and it won't turn over. There is a warning of handbrake inoperable on the dash. 

Is there any way the car can start with this issue? She managed to manually turn off the auto handbrake but it still won't start. 

The car is still in warranty thankfully (just) however do you guys know if the warranty is affected if you have the rear discs and pads changed else where other than a Toyota dealership? I got them changed 6+ months ago at a different garage due to the cost saving. 

Cheers

Ash

Depends whether the work done by the other garage could have a bearing on the handbrake failure. Probably won't know until a Toyota dealer diagnoses what the issue is. Having work done outside the dealer network will probably negate any goodwill from the manufacturer.

If it won't turn over is the Battery flat? The handbrake should not affect the engine.

As for the brakes they are classed as consumables & as long as they were replaced with items of equivalent or better quality than Toyota oem parts the car warranty should not be affected. It would not cover those parts though (or workmanship of their installation or any damage potentially caused during that).

No the car lights and locks all work so I wouldn't think the batterys gone. I'll get that checked when the recovery folk come. I did think it's strange that the car won't start, wasn't sure if it's a safety function that stops it turning over??

Has anyone else had the handbrake issue but still been able to start the car and drive ok?

I think you can good advice from this forum, but you can also get advice about what to do from the garage you used 6+ months ago.

10 hours ago, simers1983 said:

Has anyone else had the handbrake issue but still been able to start the car and drive ok?

I have had it when I was able to start the car but then had the brake warning come on (EPB didn't release).

So.....

Car has been with Mr T for 2 days and they have told me the reason for the faults is the Battery was dead. They tested the Battery before and after a  full charge and they have told me that the Battery is healthy. All it needed was a charge. 

Other than that the car is ready to be taken away, I've questioned how the battery can be dead as nothing was left on in the car to drain it. So surely there must be something going on to have drained it dead?!?!? 

I'll be collecting it tonight so will be questioning the techs as I'm a little uneasy taking it away if no reason has been given and "just keep an eye on it" has been instructed to me. My warranty is out in September so I'm not wanting to deal with an issue after it has lapsed. 

Any ideas guys??

The most common reason for a flat Battery is the door not being closed properly, leaving the interior light on. It is enough to drain it overnight. You could also have something faulty causing a drain over a period of time

Modern Battery testers are pretty reliable, if it says it just needs charging, and is charged and it says OK, you can be sure it is actually OK. Of course at this time of year there is hardly any effort on the Battery in order to start the car, it is a different matter when the temperatures drop to freezing point, a killer for any battery not up to the job

Kingo :thumbsup:

That was my first thought if a light was on but all were off. Pretty sure doors were all closed too as the car won't lock if a door hasn't closed right if I recall correctly (the Yaris definitely does this). 

Will need to buy a meter and keep checks on the Battery daily to see if there is any drain occuring. 

I've got a nice Ring charger after the qashqai Battery issues.  Brilliant charger, especially when I left the Battery on the mower totally discharge.  The qashqai we had also had the electric parking brake which then wouldn't release and it was up against a wall so couldn't use jump leads.....