Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Key Fob U/S

Rob1S

In June 2016 I purchased a new key fob for my Auris from Snows Toyota at Waterlooville (£170).  Now 23 months later same fob needs replacing again.  Snows say it is a cracked chip and only a new key fob is the answer.  Question - how does a chip get cracked without damage to the case.  I suspect there was some rubbish quality control in the original manufacture of the replacement fob.  I am reluctant to pay another £170 for a key that only lasts less than 2 years (guarantee is only 1 year).  Snows of course just say it is down to Toyota and that they consider this to be a wear and tear item.  New one on me - only car in 50 years I have had to replace a key!  Has anyone else had this problem?  Suggestions that avoid this ridiculous expense please? 

Have you contacted Toyota customer services?

Auto locksmith?

Moved to the Auris club.

What is a cracked chip ? Do they mean physically broken... that you can see... which tbh would be remarkable if it is. If the key was driven over by a steam roller then you might just about manage that.  

Is it not starting the car ? or just not unlocking/locking ?

I agree Mooly.  The dealer (Snows) took phone photos of the chip and board and (allegedly) sent them to Toyota for consideration and later called me back with the standard 'computer says NO' answer along the lines of Toyota still say this part is a wear and tear item.  This is probably what annoyed me most - I know computed chips - they are virtually indestructible - everything else breaks around them before they get damaged.  Other things can destroy them (such as over-voltage) but a crack is clearly poor QC at manufacture.  The other alternative is that Snows could be feeding me a load of garbage hoping I'll go away.

Thanks also Frosty.  I am calling Customer Service today and will post the results.

Good luck with customer support, lets hope they deliver.

Ifnot, well it all sounds very odd tbh, and very odd that a dealer would look in that sort of detail at a circuit board. Maybe have a look yourself as these things come apart pretty easily. If you take a really detailed and clear picture of the board we (and I 🙂 ... I'm an electronics tech)  might be able to spot something that they are referring to.

Thanks for the help guys.  Spoke to customer relations.  They took details and will get back to me.  Apparently Snows did raise the issue as they had it on file.

The chip and board come in a closed box inside the key - I'm reluctant to open this until Toyota come back to me. 

Will post when I hear.

OK 🙂 Hope you get a satisfactory outcome from this, and it will be interesting to hear what they have to say.

Sale of Goods Act states goods have to be of merchantable quality (this extends beyond warranties).  I would suggest your keyfob wasn't (as long as it's not showing outward signs of damage).  Try quoting that and if you paid for it on a credit card you could always try a S75 chargeback.

Try jumping over to moneysavingexpert forums and posting on there for advice then you have a fallback if Toyota don't play ball.

1 hour ago, Steve Whits said:

Sale of Goods Act states goods have to be of merchantable quality (this extends beyond warranties).  I would suggest your keyfob wasn't (as long as it's not showing outward signs of damage).  Try quoting that and if you paid for it on a credit card you could always try a S75 chargeback.

Try jumping over to moneysavingexpert forums and posting on there for advice then you have a fallback if Toyota don't play ball.

The Sale of Goods Act was replaced by the Consumer Rights Act in 2015 - 

The contract of sale isn't with Toyota, it is with the retailer one bought the item from, so any action is against the retailer (in this case Snows), not the manufacturer.

3 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The Sale of Goods Act was replaced by the Consumer Rights Act in 2015 - 

The contract of sale isn't with Toyota, it is with the retailer one bought the item from, so any action is against the retailer (in this case Snows), not the manufacturer.

Correct, my mistake 🙂 Same rules apply hopefully, items should be fit for purpose and the fact that it's a key fob it should be expected to last longer than 2 years.

Thanks for all the replies.  Toyota unsurprisingly have refused to accept the key fob is their responsibility.  Tomorrow I will get photos of the chip for you Mooly.

It will be interesting to see. There are normally two 'chips'. One is on the little circuit board and is the one used for remote locking etc. This is Battery powered. Damage to this only loses you remote locking.

The other is the 'transponder' (attached image) which is usually encased within the key body (easily visible usually). This second one is self powered via an inductive loop around the key barrel and is used to authenticate the key and start the car. If that is damaged then the car won't start.

Capture.JPG