Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2008 2.2 Diesel Engine tapping noise

Rick Pullar

Apologies if this has already been asked but I can't find a topic on this

My 2008 RAV4 2.2 D-4D XT-R has a nasty ticking noise coming from under the bonnet. It only stops when the engine isn't under load - ie not acellerating decelerating or at idle.

The Toyota dealers want to charge me a couple of grand to fit a full set of injectors. THey tell me that one injector is faulty and there is no point in changing just the one. Their logic is that if one is faulty it won't be long before the others fail.

So I have checked a few things.

It still has the economy it had when new.

It also can still hit 110mph on the Autobahn.

It can still accelerate quite nicely

All of which suggest to me that all 4 injectors are working well.

I was going to sell it because it is 10 years old and has 160000 miles on the clock. It is in great condition, all the small scratches and dinks have been repaired so there is no rust and every panel is just about perfect. It has just had new disks and pads at the rear.  The interior is really good and I have just run an air conditioning bomb to make sure that it is odour free.

Basically it is a condition that I would want to buy it in.

However it needs this knock sorting. I don't feel that the injectors could be at fault.

Please can someone offer any ideas on what could be the cause and a potential fix.

Thanks all in advance

Yup, your not the first... this may not be relative to your problem but worth following these threads before you lash out thousands of pounds on new injectors (I would want a whole vehicle for that kind of dosh!)

Hope this helps...

DaveH-UK

What oil are you using on service? Try 0w20 or 0w30

Could it be the vacuum pump?

• 2 years later...
On 5/31/2018 at 5:34 PM, Rick Pullar said:

Apologies if this has already been asked but I can't find a topic on this

My 2008 RAV4 2.2 D-4D XT-R has a nasty ticking noise coming from under the bonnet. It only stops when the engine isn't under load - ie not acellerating decelerating or at idle.

The Toyota dealers want to charge me a couple of grand to fit a full set of injectors. THey tell me that one injector is faulty and there is no point in changing just the one. Their logic is that if one is faulty it won't be long before the others fail.

So I have checked a few things.

It still has the economy it had when new.

It also can still hit 110mph on the Autobahn.

It can still accelerate quite nicely

All of which suggest to me that all 4 injectors are working well.

I was going to sell it because it is 10 years old and has 160000 miles on the clock. It is in great condition, all the small scratches and dinks have been repaired so there is no rust and every panel is just about perfect. It has just had new disks and pads at the rear.  The interior is really good and I have just run an air conditioning bomb to make sure that it is odour free.

Basically it is a condition that I would want to buy it in.

However it needs this knock sorting. I don't feel that the injectors could be at fault.

Please can someone offer any ideas on what could be the cause and a potential fix.

Thanks all in advance

Hey just wondering if you got to the bottom of the rattle??