Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo rear door glass loose

Dapper1946

I have a 2007 Aygo 5 door with both passenger and driver rear door glass come away from the fixing brackets. Can any one recommend a suitable adhesive to repair? Toyota dealership says I have to buy two new glass assemblies which will cost a small fortune!

Welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Moved to the Aygo club.

Could contact one of the vehicle glass repairers (Autoglass, National Windscreens, etc) to see whether they have something suitable or whether they can repair them.

best of luck with that - please let us know how you get on

Theres a previous thread re this same problem. Try searching for it. One of the members got some replacement glass free from a Toyota dealer. It should have been a recall imo, but wasnt. I won't say too much because the last thread got locked...

There were two threads on this - only one was locked. One member did have their rear side windows replaced, but, their final post on the subject read:

"So, it turns out the lady who sorted my case was there temporarily and normally works the Lexus stuff. Now she's gone back to Lexus, no joy for people with this issue who ask now.

The small window of opportunity has closed - unlike Aygo back windows"

A second member who posted on the same topic, who had the same issue, contacted Toyota, and was denied help.

However, if an affected vehicle has a full Toyota servIce history, it may be worth contacting Toyota customer relations to see whether they will provide a contribution under goodwill (a contribution doesn't necessarily mean full cost of replacement). If the vehicle doesn't have a full Toyota servIce history, goodwill will probably be denied.

Still annoys me when dealers don't read communications from Toyota. Totoya recently issued a bulletin to dealers 

Ref: WB705

The bulletin asks dealers to raise a "Prior approval" request including photos with the warranty department and cases will be handled an a case by case basis.

Go back to your dealer and ask for their comments on the bulletin.

I had a similar issue on mine where the glass has come unstuck form the lower metal bracket. I used a couple of pea sized blobs of Tiger Seal to secure the glass to the bracket. Worked perfectly!. Make sure the areas are thoroughly clean first. 

Thanks mic,

i’ll give that a try. Would it be best to remove the glass from the door and clamp the fixing whilst it’s curing?

I would personally use marine grade (291i) Sikaflex. It will need clamping until cured.

I have used it in many marine applications and it is fantastic stuff. Extremely tough but pliable, and will outlast the life of the car.

• 1 month later...

Hello people the same has happend to mine yesterday,the 1 window fell out and was just hanging from the window opener and when i inspected the other glass it was just glued at the top bracket..i had to jam the disconnected glass behing the brackets for now..must have happend because of the heatwave were having  maybe..i phone an auto glass place by me and he said he hasent got time to do my job but suggested using gorilla glue and clamps..

i emailed toyota vantage in erdington birmingham and see what theve goto say about this fatal floor..

8C4FBD43-C83D-4C4C-91C5-EE840D797B83.jpeg

E67B884D-1F5C-4FF7-BD8B-4F4E4D794D3A.jpeg

1CDBE317-6DD3-4322-88BE-981564DB5EF9.jpeg

On 6/4/2018 at 8:28 PM, Dapper1946 said:

Thanks mic,

i’ll give that a try. Would it be best to remove the glass from the door and clamp the fixing whilst it’s curing?

I my case only the bottom hinge had come away from the glass so I left in in place but used a couple of clamps while the glue dried (door will need to remain open). 

image.png

• Thanks 1

Ok thanks ive ordered some gorilla glue off Amazon just incase the toyota place by me doesent get back to me as ive emailed them about this shocking problem..

Right here we go..

i got some gorilla glue off Amazon,allready had a couple of clamps and ill see if this solves the problem..

D0A83707-10EE-49D5-B21A-A080B0BD15FC.jpeg

2B698BA8-CD29-4907-87EE-B7E66C00F92F.jpeg

Question for me is how do i get rid of the scratch in my car door caused by the glass falling out..

D25B3D52-C448-4813-946E-CDAB6CDE36E7.jpeg

BA8ABAF2-4AFA-4D0F-AF90-62233222AE63.jpeg

this morning @ 6.40 i saw an 05 plate aygo on the hard shoulder and he had suffered

the same issue as he was holding the glass and wondering what to do next.

toyota need to support anyone who has suffered from this issue as you dont expect

a window to fall out of your car .

Devon Aygo's post of 1st June on this topic outlines the help available from Toyota. 

Then again, the car seen on the hard shoulder is 13 years old ......

It may be worth checking the glass cover on one's motor insurance.

Toyota havent replied to me yet and i need my car this week..

and my insurance is just winscreen cover.

i phoned the garage by me and they said they dont do glass..

i phoned the windscreen bloke local to me and he said he doesent do fiddley jobs like this,hun..

so i bear gryll’s it like a soldier..

gorilla glue £5.30 free delivery Amazon..

11 hours ago, Dereklad said:

Right here we go..

i got some gorilla glue off amazon,allready had a couple of clamps and ill see if this solves the problem..

D0A83707-10EE-49D5-B21A-A080B0BD15FC.jpeg

2B698BA8-CD29-4907-87EE-B7E66C00F92F.jpeg

Hiya can u please let me know if this works as both my aygos windows have came out. I'm scared to drive it. Iv jammed them back in for the time being but don't know what to do.... 

7 hours ago, Laura2010 said:

Hiya can u please let me know if this works as both my aygos windows have came out. I'm scared to drive it. Iv jammed them back in for the time being but don't know what to do.... 

Firstly have a look at Devon Aygo's earlier post dated 1st June, and take action as per that.

Both my window seem solid and secure like concrete..still havent had a emil reply from vantage toyota erdington birmingham..ill update my fix in a few months time..

• 2 weeks later...

The issues continue.

On walking past the offside of my car today I saw the rear window had come away from the lower bracket. So that's both windows which have come away on my car now. I am overjoyed as you can imagine.

I would urge all owners of Mk1 Aygos to check their rear window bracket to glass fixing. At first glance it is not easy to see the problem, I only saw mine because I am already aware of it, and it only becomes obvious once both brackets fail at it leaves you with a window hanging out of the car which at the very least will damage the paintwork. I would be amazed if it wouldn't rip itself completely out at motorway speeds.

Well the words 'extremely cross' are somewhat of an understatement as my true feelings need to be kept clean for the forum.

At the time of my last post, I noticed the bottom bracket had come free from the glass at 5am just as I had to depart for work. I had no time to sort it, but I made it to work OK, gingerly doing the M25 section at 55mph. I checked the window again on arriving and it looked the same as when I left. On leaving work, I opened the rear door, put my bag on the back seat and on shutting the door the aforementioned rear glass fell out, gouging some nice marks into my paint all the way down the rear quarter, very similar to Dereklads. I had fully intended to sort the window as soon as I got home. Looks like I was 16 miles too late. Luckily a colleague had some gaffer tape so I could bodge the window back in. I did try Dereklads solution of jamming the window into the brackets but it was so tight that my nerve gave out before I thought the glass would.

I guess I have to be thankful that the window didn't come out on the way to work or on the way home. A miracle tbh, given that my journey off the M25 and back on is only a couple of minutes each way.

I needed the car for work again for 5am this morning, so had no time to get hold of some Sikaflex 291i, nor the curing time required for it. I went the same route as others and got some Gorilla glue from my High Street store. I marked out with tape where the brackets need to sit (theres not much wiggle room on the mounting bolts so you need to be very close and careful) before cleaning up the glass and brackets with carb cleaner. Dampened the required areas with water (as required for Gorilla glue) and held the brackets in place with plastic clamps to avoid damaging the glass. It was now 6pm and I was worried that I may need to park the car on the drive without a rear window all night as I wasn't sure how long the glue would take to set. Luckily, by 8.30pm is was hard enough so I managed to get the window back in. Again, the stars must have aligned for me because we had a downpour last night after weeks of no rain.

I am not sure whether Gorilla Glue is the correct solution for this problem, I will keep my eye on it. I would have preferred to use Sikaflex as I know that once it's cured it's sheer resistance is huge. I am going to take the other window out tonight and sort that one as well. The consequences of it falling out at speed are considerable.

I guess I will just have to try and T-cut/polish the marks out as best I can. Not worth spending the money for a full repair.

Aygo window.jpg

• 5 months later...

Toyota have now recalled all existing vehicles with this fault and you can have it fixed for free! Check: https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/vehicle-information/recall-checker#/iframe/https%3A%2F%2Fforms.toyota.co.uk%2Frecall-checker

• Thanks 1