Do Not Sell My Personal Information

dashcam wiring issue

Duxdeluxe

Hi, I read up how to install a dash cam and also road angel and did this by the usual means - piggy back from the fuse box under the passenger glovebox and wire accordingly No problem, it works. The only issue is that the cigar lighter power supply from which it is taken then goes dead. Using the piggyback I have dash cam power but no power supply power, and without it, the power supply works again. 

I've done this exercise in several cars and never come across this problem - and yes, I did put a fuse in both parts of the piggy back. I must be doing something really stupid but cannot figure out what. Any suggestions (even impolite ones) will be gratefully received. Thanks

You can try searching for topics that already covered the Dashcam install, i remember seeing some, but no one complained about the problem you're having.

If you're lucky you might notice something you missed there, and save yourself some time.

I cannot answer from experience having not used a piggy back fuse, have a look at this link I found within a minute of reading your problem - https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/piggy-back-fuseholders-a-right-way-and-a-wrong-way.7524/

I would use a multimeter to check the current and resistance across both fuses. I would remove the fuses from the piggyback holder and measure what the current is doing, across the terminals.

There is a possibility that the piggyback fuse holder is faulty and not connecting the cigar lighter, only the Dashcam. That is why the cigar light works when the piggyback is removed.

Hopefully the link above will help you.  

Edited by Konrad C
Additional info
  • Thanks 1

Following on from Konrad's post.

If you have a multimeter with a continuity function and with the piggy back out of the fusebox, check the two blades on the piggyback which fit into the fuseholder. Obviously with the fuse in place. That will confirm whether or not the current will flow from blade to blade. Or even try a different piggy back, they are very inexpensive.

It will still work whichever way round it is fitted in the fusebox but should be fitted the correct, in link from Konrad, way to maintain the protection of the acc. socket fuse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi guys. Sorry for intruding on your conversations, but I am looking into hard wiring my Dashcam. On my Auris 2016 I have a fusebox in the engine compartment. Am I right in assuming that I also have an auxiliary fuse box behind the glovebox. Any advise would be very much appreciated.  Thank you. Bob.

I found when piggybacking the fuse for the 12v socket the fuse stays live all the time even if the 12v socket only comes on with the ignition/auxiliary mode. In the end I used the fuse for the seat heater even if my car hasn’t got heated seats.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bob110023 said:

Am I right in assuming that I also have an auxiliary fuse box behind the glovebox. 

One can download the appropriate electronic full owners manual which should provide the locations of fuseboxes - see https://www.toyota.co.uk/tme#/my-toyota/eManual

1 hour ago, Bob110023 said:

Hi guys. Sorry for intruding on your conversations, but I am looking into hard wiring my dashcam. On my Auris 2016 I have a fusebox in the engine compartment. Am I right in assuming that I also have an auxiliary fuse box behind the glovebox. Any advise would be very much appreciated.  Thank you. Bob.

Mine is under the glovebox. You’ll find a flimsy bit of plastic underneath the glovebox, remove this then the auxiliary fuse box should be on the left in a rectangle box (RHD)

Thanks for the information - very good food for thought

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2018 at 7:42 PM, Cjohnston1982 said:

Mine is under the glovebox. You’ll find a flimsy bit of plastic underneath the glovebox, remove this then the auxiliary fuse box should be on the left in a rectangle box (RHD)

Could you fit anything in there though? I couldn't see any way to fit a piggyback fuse holder inside the tiny white fuse box.

Hi Pat. If you remove the white cover then check where you wish to piggy back. Pull out the fuse and insert your piggy back. What I did find was because the piggy back sticks out a bit the white fuse box cover would not clip back on. No big deal really. Cheers Bob.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, patww79 said:

Could you fit anything in there though? I couldn't see any way to fit a piggyback fuse holder inside the tiny white fuse box.

I used the seat heater fuse which only becomes live when the ignition is on. At first I tried to use the fuse for the cigarette lighter but for some reason that was live all the time.

Like Bob said, you can’t clip the white cover back on but it’s no problem at all.

• Like 1

Thanks. I'll give it a go once I get a fuse tap the right size and I'll take a few pics.

Yes, I had to leave the fuse box cover off with my Yaris when I used a "piggyback". It's just stored in the glovebox, if needed, for reference to fuse locations.

• 4 weeks later...