Do Not Sell My Personal Information

brake fluid capacity

bonjo

I am hoping to renew the fluid on my 2002 petrol manual and having difficulty finding out how much fluid I need.

What I know is that the clutch & brake use the same reservoir. Does this mean I need to bleed the clutch as well?😟 If so how do I do it?

Since I have to do it on my own, I plan to buy & use mytivac 8020. Any opinion on this product? I am not comfortable with the inline one way valve bleeders as I want to open & close the bleede nipple while doing it.

Is there anything additional I need to be aware of for this job (I have not bled an ABS system before)?

thanks for any advice & help

A litre bottle of fluid will be fine (an opened bottle shouldn’t be kept so use it all). Hand operated vacuum pumps and spare tyre pressure devices are OK but messy, time consuming and often ends up in air ingress. Fluid changing is one of the few jobs where a garage is more cost effective. They use a compressed air fluid extractor and even main dealers will do the job for around £35.

You don,t have to change the clutch fluid at the same time and it’s not a recommended routine. Essentially the fluid in the clutch system isn’t subject to the same extremes as braking systems.

Lastly, if you carry out any operation involving pumping the brake pedal - put a piece of wood under the pedal to limit the travel of the master cylinder piston. This reduces the risk of damaging rubber seals leading to fluid leakage.

that's interesting about restricting pedal travel & one to note

I do agree with you about using a garage.

I have relied on the dealers on servicing and maintenance of my car but I am discovering the quality of their work is getting worse  each year in contrast to their pricing. They slipped up on my front braking system big time changing both discs & pads instead of the sticky brake caliper (& it wasn't cheap).

I am going to get a quote nevertheless based on your suggestion of the cost. The biggest + point for me is not having to jack up the car and remove the wheels which is a pain for me.

thanks a lot for your reply

• 2 weeks later...

in the end, I took the lazy option but went to an independent garage for the change £36 (Mr >£40). Pedal is much more firm compared to when Mr T dealer did it a couple of years back