Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1 NR-FE 1.33 high oil consumption

feco911

Dear all,

Is there any known issue with the 1NR-FE 1.33 engine high oil consumption from year 2008 and younger? Has anyone experienced it? If yes, what age of the car, and how many miles ran?

Thanks,

Ferenc

From what i remember, those engines are known to consume plenty of oil. Problem is piston rings that seize up, and do not wipe the oil on the stroke down, thus the oil gets burnt. 

Using 5W30 oil can ease the symptoms. Fix is to open the engine and replace oil piston rings on all 4 cylinders.

Consumption can be even up to 1l per 1000km.

This was supposedly fix in models mid 2009 and onwards.

The 1NR-FE was only introduced late 2008, so there won't be any earlier than 2008. I've had two Auris 1.33's and neither consumed oil.

Oil consumption doesn't normally appear to be an issue with any of the petrol engines used in the Auris. 

Had my 1.33 for 8 years now, main dealer serviced throughout.

The first few years saw no oil consumption, and I used to ask what oil was used and was told 5-30 grade. I accepted it even though the 1.33 is supposed to use 0-20. Then a few years ago the oil consumption increased markedly, to the point of adding around 1 to 1.25 litres in 6000 miles. Again I asked what oil was being used and was now told only 0-20 oil was to be used, nothing else would do. I specifically asked whether switching to a 5-30 would benefit oil consumption and the answer was a definite no, and that 0-20 was the only oil to be used.

Last year was the worst, I was adding oil after only a few months of  it being serviced, the level being around a third of the way between min and max.

This year and I was out of the 7 year service plan and so paid for a Gold service. The invoice states clearly that 5-30 synthetic has been used. The fill was a generous one, probably 10% over the max mark but I have to say that in around 2000 miles the level doesn't seem to have noticeably altered.

At the end of the day you just don't know what is used. Years ago when I had the TSport I asked for synthetic oil to be used on its first service. The invoice said semi synth although the service desk scrawled across it in biro saying synthetic was used when I came to pay the bill. So you just don't know what goes on and what goes in.   

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

My 2009 1.33 1nr-fe Auris (133.000 km driven) consumes A LOT of oil. you can even smell the burned oil in the exhaust.

2 hours ago, andromedar said:

My 2009 1.33 1nr-fe Auris (133.000 km driven) consumes A LOT of oil. you can even smell the burned oil in the exhaust.

How many litres per 1,000km??

Up to a liter per 6k miles / 10k km is ok, depending on conditions of the car and use, anything more it’s not normal.

Manufacturers state that up to a liter per 1000 miles is ok but it is not and they know it. The cause of piston rings to get stuck is most likely non regular oil changes and or using poor quality oils  plus the well known design flaw. Toyota own 5w30 is semi synthetic and it’s not of the best, especially in hot climate regions. The myth that using a slightly thicker oil like 5w30 instead of recommended 0w20 also can contribute to piston ring failure, very often when oil changes are neglected. There are some methods that can be used to try to free up the rings using automatic transmission fluid, marvel mistery oil, sea foam, wd-40, diesel fuel etc  filled through spark plug  holes, plus regular oil flushes but no guarantee will work plus if you don’t know what you are doing you can cause also damage to the engine. 

• 4 months later...

Hello to everyone,

my 2010 1.33 nr-fe toyota auris  (135.000 km driven) consumes 1 lt per 600 km 5w30 oil.I am thinking of replacing the engine with the 1.6 zr-fe. or 1.8.What is your opinion??

On 8/20/2019 at 12:01 PM, Nikosgr said:

Hello to everyone,

my 2010 1.33 nr-fe toyota auris  (135.000 km driven) consumes 1 lt per 600 km 5w30 oil.I am thinking of replacing the engine with the 1.6 zr-fe. or 1.8.What is your opinion??

I have the 2007 1.6 1ZR-FE with 91kw and runs pretty fine, there are no oil consumption issues.

Oil consumption is around 1L per 10k km, half of my driving is highway, otherwise car would probably use a bit less oil.

I think you will be pretty satisfied with the engine. 

Consumption figures are:

city driving ~7l/100 km (8L in winter with plenty of short stop starts)

rural driving with 50 mph/90 kmh 6L (AC on or off, makes no difference)

highway crusing with 60mph/100kmh 6.3L, around 7 is you do 20% faster.

• Thanks 1

I have similar issue with my 1.6VVTI Auris (2007) it has always been a bit greedy on oil but recently im using about 1 Litre for every 5,000 miles. Ive been told not to worry as these engines are known to enjoy a drink of oil and I have had my Auris for 5 years and never once had an issue with MOT/Emissions. I think I will worry when I see blue smoke.

Try not to worry to much as I was worried at first after coming from a 19 year old Corolla that never used any oil between changes. 

Not a very useful reply, but, my 5.5 years old 1.33l (Yaris) doesn't use and never has, one drop of oil. Using 0W20 Toyota genuine oil and filter.

What oil and filter has the O.P. been using would be my question. Plus how often have they been changed?

18 minutes ago, justinbarrow said:

I have similar issue with my 1.6VVTI Auris (2007) it has always been a bit greedy on oil but recently im using about 1 Litre for every 5,000 miles. Ive been told not to worry as these engines are known to enjoy a drink of oil and I have had my Auris for 5 years and never once had an issue with MOT/Emissions. I think I will worry when I see blue smoke.

Try not to worry to much as I was worried at first after coming from a 19 year old Corolla that never used any oil between changes. 

There's no consumption there, it's normal usage.  I also passed my emissions a month ago.

Cylinders are lubricated with car oil, and on downward stroke, some traces of it are not wiped, and left on the walls, due to the age of the car, this goes boom, and goes out the exhaust.

I'm using 5W30, which is thicker than 0W20, but i'm guessing with 0W20 it would use even less.

On 6/10/2018 at 8:36 AM, Mooly said:

Had my 1.33 for 8 years now, main dealer serviced throughout.

The first few years saw no oil consumption, and I used to ask what oil was used and was told 5-30 grade. I accepted it even though the 1.33 is supposed to use 0-20. Then a few years ago the oil consumption increased markedly, to the point of adding around 1 to 1.25 litres in 6000 miles. Again I asked what oil was being used and was now told only 0-20 oil was to be used, nothing else would do. I specifically asked whether switching to a 5-30 would benefit oil consumption and the answer was a definite no, and that 0-20 was the only oil to be used.

Last year was the worst, I was adding oil after only a few months of  it being serviced, the level being around a third of the way between min and max.

This year and I was out of the 7 year service plan and so paid for a Gold service. The invoice states clearly that 5-30 synthetic has been used. The fill was a generous one, probably 10% over the max mark but I have to say that in around 2000 miles the level doesn't seem to have noticeably altered.

At the end of the day you just don't know what is used. Years ago when I had the TSport I asked for synthetic oil to be used on its first service. The invoice said semi synth although the service desk scrawled across it in biro saying synthetic was used when I came to pay the bill. So you just don't know what goes on and what goes in.   

You hit the nail on the head when it comes to preferred oil grade. I have owned my 2009 '58 plate Toyota Avensis since 2015, and  change the oil myself. I only use 0w-20 synthetic oil. I tested the parts man at my local Toyota dealership, and asked him what grade oil does my car use? He said 5w-30! I told him it was 0w-20 and he replied "that is only for the hybrids". He added that he has an Avensis, which turned out to be the previous version with the 1ZZ engine (mine has the 2ZR valvematic engine), that does use 5w-30 grade! 
A lot of garages and places like Kwikfit and Halfords would happy stick 5w-30 oil, because they have it in bulk and that is what most cars use. Check places like Euro Car Parts and they get it wrong too! 
This is why I change the oil myself. The car hardly needs a top up between changes, which is annually and 8-9000 miles. 

7 hours ago, furtula said:

I have the 2007 1.6 1ZR-FE with 91kw and runs pretty fine, there are no oil consumption issues.

Oil consumption is around 1L per 10k km, half of my driving is highway, otherwise car would probably use a bit less oil.

Consumption figures are:

highway crusing with 60mph/100kmh 6.3L, around 7 is you do 20% faster.

7 hours ago, furtula said:

Consumption figures are:

highway crusing with 60mph/100kmh 6.3L, around 7 is you do 20% 

Thank you for your reply.The only problem is if you change the engine you must also replace the ECU (electronic control unit).Does anybody knows if it is required ??

You can go to japan-parts.eu and check the difference in ECU parts number, if they match, maybe you can just reprogram your old one.

Bust most likely you will need to change ECU aswell.

ECU's are around 100 euros on ebay's and alike, and you can sell your old one to make up for the cost,not so terrible.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I also have the oil consumption problem with my 2009 Auris. It started 2 years ago, around 50k miles on the ODO , and now i add 1l per 1000 miles.

Has anybody tried Duralube or other oil stabilizer ?

23 minutes ago, cornelu86 said:

Hi guys,

I also have the oil consumption problem with my 2009 Auris. It started 2 years ago, around 50k miles on the ODO , and now i add 1l per 1000 miles.

Has anybody tried Duralube or other oil stabilizer ?

Known problem with this engine is due to stuck piston rings, which are then not wiping oil correctly on the downwards stroke, causing the engine to burn said oil, therefore causing high oil consumption.

You can try using heavier oil, might reduce consumption a bit.

Other than that, fix is to replace the piston rings.

You can experiment with stuff like seafoam, or some other solution which might unstick them, letting it sit overnight in the cylinder, then taking it for a high rpm drive.

If you do this, don't forget to first crank the engine a bit while the plugs are out, to get all that stuff out of the cylinders, otherwise you might risk hydro locking the engine.

Could be also that your driving style caused this. Your engine needs higher rpm from time to time, don't be afraid to rev it up a bit, or to drive it on the highway at 4k rpm.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2019 at 11:21 AM, FROSTYBALLS said:

How many litres per 1,000km??

From Full to Empty (on dipstick) in 2900km (1800 miles).

Unfortunately i don't know how many litres it is between min and max on 1NR-FE engine...

54 minutes ago, andromedar said:

From Full to Empty (on dipstick) in 2900km (1800 miles).

Unfortunately i don't know how many litres it is between min and max on 1NR-FE engine...

Same as on 1.6. You can try using heavier oil, for example 5W30, or try some flush to free up piston rings. I saw on youtube people getting good results with seafoam, but can't really trust that website that much, and i don't know if they even sell that outside of USA.

image.thumb.png.736f9c6e6c66554631c6a6d9b69f9615.png

• Like 1

Hi,

yes sea foam and marvel mastery oil may help a bit, those are sold on eBay and Amazon, even wd-40 or STP engine flush through spark plugs holes may help, but the problems is because of that stuck piston rings the cylinders walls are polished to the point that they are not able to hold an oil film at all and all goes into combustion. With such a high consumption the best is to repair, heavier oil grade may not help but you can always try it. I had same trouble with a car very similar to this Auris and did tried many oils, the best of all that was with minimum consumption was Shell helix ultra 5w40 full synthetic , that oil beats all other brands and if you buy it on offer is great price too. The difference on dipstick between max and min is over 1L. 

Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 5L https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004HL1H9Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_lJgNDbRQM3397

Sea Foam Motor Tune - Up SF16 For Petrol and Diesel Engines (1) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07KRLT3T5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_XJgNDbBNTKCTJ

Good luck