Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

RAV4 Key Fob Remote Programming

tony_j

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can shed light?

I am trying to re-programme my remote having recently purchased the car (RAV4 TX3 2006) with the procedure below which I have seen on various blogs.

I have tried both 're-write' and 'add' options with the same effect.

All works as described as far as and including step 10 (where the car registers that it is in programming mode by lock and unlocking the doors), however I get no response back from step 11c after holding the lock key and pressing the unlock 5 times or alternatively holding the lock and unlock simultaneously for 1.5 to 2 seconds.

Has anyone any advice or pointers please?

Tony

REMOTE/CENTRAL LOCKING Procedure:

1. Start: Driver's door open and unlocked. Key not inserted in the ignition.
2. Insert programmed master key in ignition and then remove it, without turning it.
3. Do the following with the driver's door: shut, open, shut, open, all within 40 secs.
4. Insert key in ignition and then remove it, without turning it.
5. Repeat step 3.
6. Close driver's door.
7. Insert key in ignition
8. Turn key from Lock to On and back to Lock with a 1 second interval. The number of times you do this will select the desired programming mode: Once for ADD key, twice for REWRITE all keys, 3 times for CONFIRMATION, 5 times for PROHIBITION.
9. Remove key from ignition.
10. As verification of mode selection (except in Confirmation mode), the electric door locks will lock and unlock a number of times corresponding to the mode chosen in step 8.
(If Confirmation mode is selected, the doors will lock/unlock a number of times corresponding to the number of remote controls programmed into the system.)
11. For ADD and REWRITE modes: within 25 seconds after the locks have confirmed the selected mode:
(11a) Hold down the LOCK button on the new remote control whilst at the same time pressing UNLOCK 5 times. (11b) Release and press LOCK once. (11c) if the procedure has been performed correctly, the door locks will go from lock to unlock. If not, start from 1 again.
(11d) To enter additional remotes, repeat from step (11a).
12. Open driver's door to complete the procedure.

Perhaps the car is not receiving the button presses.  Either the fob could be defective, or the Battery may need replacing.

Hi Ian and thank you. I did replace the Battery so don't think it is that.

Are there any diagnostics I can do on the fob do you know...or possibly the car is not receiving from the fob?

Tony_j

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs, but it may be possible to insert the Battery upside down, so worth a check.

I don't know how to test the fob, but an auto-locksmith may have the wherewithal.

If it does turn out to be a defective fob, you may be lucky (pricewise) if this turns out to be the right one for you - it was for me.  Of course, you would need to program the immobiliser to the car.  Mine required Toyota Techstream software to do it, but some respond to the hokey-cokey method (it depends on the brand of immobiliser chip).

I  have found a complete unit on eBay (USA) for £10 which looks right (we will see) so will give it a go.

Whilst they dont ship to UK, I have someone coming over week after next so they can bring it for me.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Tony

I hope it works.  I have seen some information that remote entry on American Toyotas is different to Europe, but time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2018 at 8:09 PM, IanML said:

r.  Mine required Toyota Techstream software to do it, but some respond to the hokey-cokey method (it depends on the brand of immobiliser chip).

I also did mine with Toyota Techstream. You'll probably need an old windows 7 laptop to run it, but it makes key programming a breeze.

5 hours ago, James.. said:

I also did mine with Toyota Techstream. You'll probably need an old windows 7 laptop to run it, but it makes key programming a breeze.

My Techstream (bought on eBay) runs on a 64-bit Windows 10 installation - you just have to read the small print before buying.

Many thanks for your replies and I will try the Techstream if I cannot get it working. I have a key (which I think will work) from the USA which will be with me Wednesday.  Fingers crossed.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links