Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Please help identify this coolant leak on 2.0 D4-D

DiscoStoo

Hi,

I had a cambelt change on 2.0 D4-D 2005 Avensis and the next day noticed orange coolant leaking from one of the bolts under the engine mounting bracket - I'm calling the garage to get this sorted but I'd like to know if it's ok to drive the car or if something more serious could happen, as I don't know what's going on behind this bolt?

Coolant leak accelerates when the engine is warm. Coolant reservoir is a "ball" shaped vessel at the front of the engine and appears to be half full - should this be near-full? I would topup with more coolant until I can get it back to the garage but don't want to over-pressurise it ?

Thanks for any help.

bolt-leak1.png

bolt-leak2.png

Two things that rot cambelts are oil and water so even though you have just had the cambelt changed you might want to consider the garage fitting another. Not knowing the exact layout of your engine I am guessing it's the water pump that is leaking which the garage should of changed when doing your cambelt out of good practise, good luck.

Mike.

Hi Mike, the pump wasn't leaking before it went in, not sure if this particular leaking bolt indicates a leaking pump either.

They were reluctant to change the pump (despite asking) because they said something was likely to break on one of the pulleys (one of the pulley bolts was seized). I'll see what they say, just wanted to find out if anyone familiar knows how a leak thru this bolt could occur incase garage try to spin a different story.

Hi, on the assumption it is the water pump it could be leaking now as they have tightened the cambelt more than it was before, slack wise, so this will cause it to leak, it's not uncommon and not necessarily the garages fault. Putting any 'stop leak' in the system will not work as it is probably the seal that has hardened and perished. Seized bolt or not it needs doing as the leak will only get worse. Good luck, Mike.

To me it is very important to change water pump when doing timing on these engines- if the water pump collapses or seizes it takes out the timing belt with it as water pump runs of the timing belt. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links