Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Horrible Q8 Did This To My Pride And Joy

TotallyToto

Ouch

It's horrible when that happens.

A stupid BMW man wrote my aygo off last year.

It will polish out 😕

She just said Sorry, I didn't see you, I'll pay for it fixing..Couldn't care less!...At least no one hurt .. Lots of tears though..

That is going to be expensive, I hope you got all her details & informed your insurance? 😉

Problem with people saying they'll pay for damage, is that they often don't realise the actual cost. Aside from that they often want the repairs done as cheaply as possible. Is she paying for a courtesy car whilst yours is being repaired - probably not.

Whether or not she pays, your insurance company should be informed.

I would be inclined to just let your insurance deal with it. At least that way you know that a reputable company is dealing with the repairs, and one usually gets a guarantee on the repairs.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Problem with people saying they'll pay for damage, is that they often don't realise the actual cost. Aside from that they often want the repairs done as cheaply as possible. Is she paying for a courtesy car whilst yours is being repaired - probably not.

Whether or not she pays, your insurance company should be informed.

I would be inclined to just let your insurance deal with it. At least that way you know that a reputable company is dealing with the repairs, and one usually gets a guarantee on the repairs.

Totally agree.

Yes, I phoned the Insurance on Sunday morning. They were extremely helpful and have arranged for the car to be collected and a courtesy car left. Thanks..

Feel for you, hope you get it sorted quickly and with little hassle.

So she didn't see you in your RED car, some drivers take the biscuit! 

@Puglet In fairness, Steve....Loz's Aygo is only little and could easily have been hidden behind the huge 6 inch mobile phone that the Q8 Driver was probably using to text for an appointment at the Nail Bar at the time! (Other stereotypes of Audi Drivers are available. 😉)  Why is it always big BMWs, Mercs or Audis?  Have you noticed that they never seem to indicate or have any road sense or awareness?....OK, they're not all bad but it's fairly common.

@TotallyToto Loz, I know that you must be upset about this and my heart goes out to you but I really hope that you get this sorted quickly.  It's awful when something like this happens but if you can get your Aygo back, as good as new then I hope that you can put this behind you and enjoy your pride and joy again.

All the best. 🙂

• Like 1

Poor thing, I never drive without a Dashcam nowadays you just never know what idiots you might find.

• Like 2

Not sure if a dash cam would have caught this..The amazing thing is, that the door opens and closes OK, The door locks with the remote,  only issue is that the window doesn't open quite fully..

On 6/12/2018 at 10:59 AM, Agent Orange said:

(Other stereotypes of Audi Drivers are available. 😉)  Why is it always big BMWs, Mercs or Audis?  Have you noticed that they never seem to indicate or have any road sense or awareness?....

I've got an Aygo and an Audi  ...  I guess I am  just too difficult to stereotype! (never visited a nail bar though)

• Haha 1

Hi Nick, I realise that there is an exception to every rule and since you have avoided the Nail Bar, then I doff my cap to you 😉 .  In my defence, I did say that not all drivers of high end German cars were bad but the point I was making doesn't just apply to them. (He said, trying to dig himself out of a hole 😄 )

When I started driving, unless you bought a Japanese car, even a radio was an optional extra and so drivers didn't have any distractions, they got behind the wheel and were more attentive, courtious and responsible as they actually drove the car.  Now, with all the gadgets and gizmos the driver sits at an entertainment console, rather than behind a steering wheel. 

I'll give you an example, a good mate of mine has recently got a new Volvo C90 as a company car, he took me out in it and was showing off the fact that (As with many top of the range cars these days) the dashboard is actually a "Tablet" and can show (if memory serves) about 50....yes Fifty, different dash arrangements.  The thing about this was that he was changing the dashboard display, whilst the car was on the move, in traffic.....

"Hang on," says I, "Shouldn't you be looking out of the windscreen?"

"Oh, this motor slows down automatically, if I get too close to the car in front"  He replied.....Needless to say I was glad to get home. 🙄

I bought our Aygo because, firstly, my Wife fell in love with it and secondly because it was simple.  To be honest, I love the speed limiter/cruise control in the new Aygos but keyless entry and push button start?...not for me, thanks.  OK, I know that I sound like a Luddite but I actually love progress and new technology....Just not when it distracts you from driving as can be seen from what happened to Loz's Aygo.

Finally (If you have stayed with me then you deserve a medal!), this isn't a rant at "Big Car" drivers, it's just an observation and a little tribute to the fun and pleasure that can be gained when you drive a small, simple car, like the Aygo.

I don't know what model of Audi you have, Nick but I have to say that your new Aygo looks an absolute stunner.....What a little belter!😊

All the best! 🙂

• Like 1

On 6/11/2018 at 6:46 PM, TotallyToto said:

She just said Sorry, I didn't see you, I'll pay for it fixing..Couldn't care less!...At least no one hurt .. Lots of tears though..

I hear that every single day, nobody has any idea of the cost of such repairs. Gone are the days where you slap a bit of filler in it and lash some paint on  :eek: 

Modern day car paints (water based) are VERY expensive. I had a conversation today with our Bodyshop manager about painting a mirror cover, the particular colour code had EIGHT different tints in it, making the actual cost of materials alone of £45 plus VAT, and that's without charging the customer for actually painting it

When a customer tells me "They are going to pay me" I tell them to inform their insurance company, in most cases they never pay, it always ends up going through the insurance. Better done sooner than later, otherwise you end up being messed around for weeks on end 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Agent Orange said:

........... I don't know what model of Audi you have, Nick but I have to say that your new Aygo looks an absolute stunner.....What a little belter!😊

🙂

Some very good points in your post

It's a Q3,  but to be honest for my commute I prefer the Aygo. I admit the Audi is more my partner's car than  mine .. she drives it more than I do.

Maybe long journeys and motorway runs ( particularly in filthy weather) the Quattro  is supremely competent. 

Interesting  your reference to Volvo ... the other half fancies chopping the Q3 for the new XC60. If for no other reason than the company she works for gets a very good deal with Volvo as a business partner. It is indeed a  branch of Dixons on wheels and the tech hugely impressive. But not as much fun  to drive as the Aygo!

The only point I might take some issue with is the keyless entry/ start. I haven't had a car that you need to turn a physical key for 6 or 7 years. The very though of a normal key makes me shudder !!! Maybe you need to stand in the rain holding heavy shopping a  few times  while your wife tries to find the keys in her huge handbag to appreciate the merits of walking up to a car opening the door and starting it with the key still in your pocket (or handbag). 

If it helps .... you can unlock and start the new Volvo with your phone.. I could even send an electronic key to your phone so you could drive the car. 😉 

Whatever happened to the starting handle?

• Haha 1

On 6/12/2018 at 7:18 PM, TotallyToto said:

Not sure if a dash cam would have caught this..The amazing thing is, that the door opens and closes OK, The door locks with the remote,  only issue is that the window doesn't open quite fully..

Would have at least recorded the sound and the direction of where the vehicle was hit.

12 hours ago, Dark Matter said:

... the other half fancies chopping the Q3 for the new XC60. If for no other reason than the company she works for gets a very good deal with Volvo as a business partner.

Remember the new XC40 is released.  Probably a closer size match to the Q3.

Hi, I have had a quick read through this longish thread, have you got it in writing that the other driver has admitted liability and that they said they will pay for the repairs? For your knowledge if you must have it repaired by a  Toyota approved repairer otherwise Toyota will probably not be interested in buying it back from you in a possible future part exchange and as the Parts King has stated the cost of repairing a car to main dealer standard will run into thousands of pounds, rough estimate from me is about £3000.00+. Good luck, Mike.

4 hours ago, alan333 said:

Remember the new XC40 is released.  Probably a closer size match to the Q3.

Damn .... I got my XCs mixed up .. I  meant XC40 ( having driven and XC60 and concluded  it was too big)

The car is being picked up next Tuesday by the garage chosen by the Insurance people. They will be leaving a courtesy car. Had to send lots of pics of the damage, the VIN number, the mileage, front and rear number plates. They said that if I had been involved in a further accident, I would not have been insured. I'm driving my Dads car at the moment, an AUDI.....Aghhhhh..

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, TotallyToto said:

The car is being picked up next Tuesday by the garage chosen by the Insurance people. They will be leaving a courtesy car. Had to send lots of pics of the damage, the VIN number, the mileage, front and rear number plates. They said that if I had been involved in a further accident, I would not have been insured. I'm driving my Dads car at the moment, an AUDI.....Aghhhhh..

Why did the insurance say that? surely that's what we have insurance for so if we have an accident they're there to help?

No, it was the garage..They said the protection bar in the door? had probably been damaged.

• 4 months later...

Well, just got the Insurance sorted out. The driver of the Audi had a change of mind after the accident, and claimed I had run into her! After much correspondence, I was asked  if I would be willing to go to Court, although I am in my final year at Uni, I agreed to. Then last week I was asked if I would accept 50/50 responsibility, sort of Knock for Knock agreement. I refused. Yesterday I got an email from my Insurance saying that the other driver had now admitted Liability....What a stressful few months.