Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bizarre spinning noise in my Yaris engine

Halliard

Hi,

I have followed these forums for a while since I got my Yaris, and I find everyone's input really interesting. However, the time has come for me to post and hope someone has some insight!

I bought my beloved 2007 (Petrol 1.3) Yaris almost a year ago. It's done 40,000 miles in its life. In the past couple of weeks, there's been a weird spinning/scratchy noise in the engine. It is pretty constant whether I'm at a standstill or accelerating. However, it does get louder very sporadically and at random times, just for a few seconds. Here's the noise when the car is at a standstill: 

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of this? During my MOT, they said it could be related to a bearing or alternator. I will probably pay to have a look into it further, but any insight before this would be so so so appreciated!

Thanks,

Hal

take the oil cap off to see if you can hear if it is the timing chain it doesent sound exactly like my chain noise but you never know, also run it for a few seconds without the belt on to see if the noise changes and then switch the engine off and spin the pulleys to see if you can determine which one has play.

Hi, get a rod about 18" long or a stethescope, and with the engine running put one end to your ear and carefully touch against the Alternator, and any other spinning items. By putting it to the front of the rocker cover you should hear the timing chain lashing around.

I've had two recent problems in this area on my 1.0 Yaris. One was the water pump  and the other was the alternator.

Don

• Like 1

That's all really helpful. Thanks all! I will try the suggestions, but I have booked the car in for next week anyway as I won't be able to carry out repairs myself anyway. Hoping it won't be too high of a price though!!

I only work on cars that have starting handles and dynamos myself. This modern stuff is too much for me.

Hope you get it sorted.

Don

13 hours ago, VosperD said:

I've had two recent problems in this area on my 1.0 Yaris. One was the water pump  and the other was the alternator.

Don

I would also guess it's either the water pump or the alternator.

Let us know how you get on, thanks.

16 hours ago, VosperD said:

I only work on cars that have starting handles and dynamos myself. This modern stuff is too much for me.

Hope you get it sorted.

Don

You are describing my "other" car there. 😄

Thanks again for all your help all! Turns out it was the AC compressor. Quite an expensive fix (£600+) including a recharge of the aircon. Before, it would cause me a lot of anxiety and I'd fear even driving it... Picking up the car today and hearing a quiet engine once again was refreshing!

An expensive day, but the rest of the car is in impeccable condition, so it's undoubtedly worth it.

Thank you all!

We don't have the luxury of AC on ours but it's something to bear in mind if we ever replace our Yaris with a 1.3.

Pleased you cured the problem even though it was a bit pricey.

Don