Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Driveshaft removal for dust cover replacement

catseye27

Hi. I need to replace the front driver side driveshaft outer dust cover on my Rav4.3.  When i pull the the shaft out of the gearbox will i lose oil?

The reason i need to replace dust cover is my fault, nicked it when removing a difficult to remove ball joint.  Is there a way to fix the dust cover without replacing?  Searched the net but nothing really jumps out at me

Thanks

You will need to remove the drive shaft to fit a new boot, you will lose some oil from the gearbox

I take it you mean the CV Boot when you say dust cover?

If you fit a genuine boot, you have to fit the boot over the INNER end first they don't stretch enough. You can buy stretchy boots from factors, but best fitted with a "cone" tool where you slide the boot over the cone and onto the shaft. Something like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CONE-FITTING-JOINT-DRIVESHAFT-BRAND/dp/B01KM9AH9W

Be careful when taking the shafts in and out that you don't nick an oil seal, otherwise that gear oil will seep out and cause a mess as you travel along as it is flung all over the place 

There are several videos on fitting new CV boots on YouTube 

Kingo 

If it's a small nick - you may be able to use a drop of superglue and pinch the nick together. If it warrants replacing the boot - you will loose some oil if you remove the drive shaft. However to avoid removing the shaft / removing the CV joint from the shaft - you can use a so called stretch CV boot. The boot can be bought with a plastic cone so that the boot can be stretched over the joint.

Thanks for the info.  The nick is to big for superglue.  Had seen these stretch boots on youtube but was not totally convinced on effectiveness but think this is my best option to start with.

Looks really hard work to slide boot over cone, could be a few sessions at the gym 

19 minutes ago, catseye27 said:

Looks really hard work to slide boot over cone, could be a few sessions at the gym 

That's why they are stretch boots, easier to work with, not as difficult to pull on, but I do get your drift  :thumbsup:

Update.  Bought and fitted the stretch boot. So easy to do, fits really well, why was i so concerned.  youtube video's made it look so difficult.

Again, thanks