Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help! SR180 is it a CAT or DPF?

Chewy_

My exhaust has a split in it as pictured. 

When searching online I found a diagram of the exhaust set up which shows DPF and then CAT. So I presumed it was the CAT. I can't find a CAT for sale anywhere and my local garage has said it's actually a DPF and the setup is not as pictured. However all the DPF pictures I can find look like the DPF in the diagram pictured. It's very confusing.

Can anyone shed any light on this? 

20180612_091932.jpg

20180612_061511.png

Dpf ... 

DPF is on the down pipe 

That second box is just a silencer 

The DPF and cat are in the same cannister 

That's what I thought but my local garage is saying the setup on mine is like this and it's £900+ to replace. I've not had a chance for them to look at it on the ramp yet. Might have to quickly jack it up myself to have a look. 

s-l225.jpg

Toyota call it a "front pipe exhaust" in their parts catalogue however the technical system explains it is an "Oxidizing Catalytic converter" .

The picture of the setup you have is correct the DPNR is in the front down pipe then you have Oxidising Catalyst and finally the tail pipe 

Auris 2ADFHV .png

Auris 2ADFHV 2.png

• Like 1

If it was a CAT would it not have an O2 sensor after it? How does the engine management know it is working correctly?

So I've been to see someone today about repairing or removing it. Apparently it's definitely a cat (hence why Toyota want £1000 for it). He's quite clued up on diesels and said unlike petrol engines it doesn't need any sensors on or after the cat as the DPF and pipe before has all the sensors. They'll sense if the Cat is blocked and throw up a fault. It's there to help reduce emissions and helps reduce smoke out of the exhaust. 

There is not much metal on the pipe, but the other side seems good, and after cleaning up, should be possible to weld another pipe to the the bracket.

From what i understood, the problem here is only the pipe has broken off from it, nothing else?

Just the pipe that's  snapped so they are going to weld a new section of pipe on and replace the springs bolts etc