Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

P/S Light when stationary on a Toyota Yaris 2002 1.0l

nikonedy

Hi,

I purchased a 2002 Toyota Yaris 1.0 not too long ago and a few days back I had the power steering (P/S) light come up whilst I was waiting at a traffic light. As soon as I started moving the light disappeared but after that every time I stop or have the car stationary I have the same p/s light blinking. As soon as I start driving with more than 5 mph the light disappears and reappears as soon as I go below 5mph or am sitting in one place. It does illuminate with all the other dummy lights when I start the car but then just keeps blinking until I take off. There is no change in the way the steering feels both when driving and when stationary.

Now I read in the owners manual that if the engine is left working without the car moving the light might come on but I get the light even when I start the car first thing in the morning. I also have an ELM327 Wifi OBDII Scanner and I've tried every android app in the app store to find codes, but there aren't any. 

Also, the car is french made as the vin starts with VNK and I am 99% sure that the power steering is electric.

Long story short, I need to know if I need to be worried or not and what the possible causes for this issue might be.

Any help, ideas and thoughts will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Probably either Battery or alternator needs looking at. The power steering requires a certain amount of current and voltage to work effectively. When the car is idling, the alternator provides very little current to the electrics, hence why I think it's flagging up the blinking light. The light will blink under a low voltage or current condition in the power steering circuit. When you drive off, the revs rise, the alternator provides more current to the power steering circuit and the light goes off.

Thanks! Good shout, that makes sense. I will get my multimeter out tonight and will do some testing.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links